Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A 73 weighted key with built in speaker

MPN21

I would jump on a 73 key version of any Casio digital pianos.
PX-S7000 Width: 52.75″ Depth:9.52″
PXs3100 52.08"  9.12"
Numa X 73 41.4" 12,2 (nice and narrow but no-built in speaker is a deal breaker for me)
Yamaha P121 43.86" 11.61" (With a built-in speaker, it's a good candidate, but I am not saving much in terms of length) One of my boards is the Compact 2x, which is 50 inch wide.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MPN21 said:

I would jump on a 73 key version of any Casio digital pianos.
PX-S7000 Width: 52.75″ Depth:9.52″
PXs3100 52.08"  9.12"
Numa X 73 41.4" 12,2 (nice and narrow but no-built in speaker is a deal breaker for me)
Yamaha P121 43.86" 11.61" (With a built-in speaker, it's a good candidate, but I am not saving much in terms of length) One of my boards is the Compact 2x, which is 50 inch wide.  

73 keys =17% fewer keys than an 88, so you should approach getting 17% narrower (though not quite, since the end caps likely remain the same size). The P125 is 52.2" and 17% less would be 43.33 so the fact that it's 43.86 means it's saving just about as much in terms of length as you could possibly expect. And since those Casio 88s are about the same width as the P125, I think you can assume that a 73 version of one of those Casios would similarly end up at about the same width as the P121. The Numa 73 is smaller because the Numa 88 is smaller than those other 88s, it has extremely small side panels, likely a virtue of its metal rather than plastic housing (since thin metal is stronger than thin plastic, and the chassis has to support the hammer-weighted action). 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

73 keys =17% fewer keys than an 88, so you should approach getting 17% narrower (though not quite, since the end caps likely remain the same size). The P125 is 52.2" and 17% less would be 43.33 so the fact that it's 43.86 means it's saving just about as much in terms of length as you could possibly expect. And since those Casio 88s are about the same width as the P125, I think you can assume that a 73 version of one of those Casios would similarly end up at about the same width as the P121. The Numa 73 is smaller because the Numa 88 is smaller than those other 88s, it has extremely small side panels, likely a virtue of its metal rather than plastic housing (since thin metal is stronger than thin plastic, and the chassis has to support the hammer-weighted action). 

Thanks for breaking it down for me.  You are absolutely right about the thin side panels on the Numa X73.  I took another look at it.  Very thin, indeed.   No interest in getting another 88 as I already have too many.   So the choices for me are either the P121 or the Numa X73.   The Numa would have been perfect if it had built in speakers.... 

Rather than compromise the search for a keyboard with built in speakers, consider using two of these out of the headphone jack of any 73 key weighted keyboard.  They are bluetooth but also have an input jack so that you can go headphone out from the keyboard to the input jack of these speakers.  They are actually pretty loud for their size!  Not much bigger than a cigarette pack but full sound. 

link

image.png.b3bcf934c9a1e54cced5dd654dac8646.png

• Like 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Health warning: this product contains Fatar TP/100. Use of this product when practising, recording or performing could cause loss of groove, inconsistent pocket or reduction in your mojo. 

Cheers, Mike.

so that’s why my Mojo61 has shrunk, it always sits above my Keylab88!

• Haha 2

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

As maligned as the TP100 is, I have found that, for whatever reason, some feel better than others. None are first rate, but I actually like the one in my Dexibell P3... I think it's helped additionally by the fact that the board has speakers, and you feel the vibrations in your fingers as you play, which adds an extra sense of realism, which may be helping to offset some of how it's less than ideal. I enjoy playing it.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

..."the board has speakers, and you feel the vibrations in your fingers as you play, which adds an extra sense of realism,"....

I think that's the big part of the reason why I am looking for a digital piano with built-in speakers.    Not only the faint vibrations, but also the immediacy of the sounds coming directly from the board at least for me.   As for the TP-100, I still have my Numa Stage with the TP-100.   As a classically trained pianist, I like the "heaviness" and the feel of the TP-100 action.   Of course, heaviness can be a dirty word if you come from an organ background.   When it comes to digital piano actions, I can't help but think of Segal's law; a man with a watch knows what time it is, but a man with two watches is never sure. 

14 hours ago, MPN21 said:

As for the TP-100, I still have my Numa Stage with the TP-100.   As a classically trained pianist, I like the "heaviness" and the feel of the TP-100 action.  

If you're happy with TP100, then Scott's/Morrissey's P3 is definitely a contender. No smaller than a Yamaha P121 though.

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

If you're happy with TP100, then Scott's/Morrissey's P3 is definitely a contender. No smaller than a Yamaha P121 though.

True. The main advantage is probably the wider variety of sounds (pianos and others), including some sound editability and the ability to load soundfonts. Beefier speakers, too.

Perhaps I should have clarified my reason for a slim Casio type 73 key but thanks to all the great feedback,  now I have a better idea of  what would be the best choice for me.   A 73 keyboard to play at casual gigs, easy in and out and possibly for traveling in a class B camper van.  I wanted the Numa x 73 so bad(the price is right, slim, lots of sounds, and so forth, but I just don't want to fumble around with external speakers and cables) that I had to fight myself!   The P121 would be a better choice for my purpose.  I went to B&H to buy one.  It won't be in stock again until March.  Well, I guess I can wait. 

• Like 1

Heck, if you plan on playing around campfires at all, I can’t recommend a cheap Casiotone enough!!! They’re just the right volume to jam with an acoustic guitar, and they last for hours on batteries. They’re also small enough to take carryon on a plane with a soft case because they’re about the size of an electric guitar.

I bought one when on vacation to Hawaii Big Island and played a bunch of small pub gigs and open mic with my brother-in-law (guitar), it was fantastic. Paid for itself in about a day. At $100, it could have broken right there and it would still be worth it.

Honestly, every pianoman should have a cheap Casiotone. Don’t bother with Roland GoKeys or GoPiano, IMO. The GoKeys feels/sounds cheaper and costs more. And the GoPiano is too expensive to throw around like that… and that’s what it’s good for!

perfect campfire piano.

• Like 1

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

If for these purposes you can get by with 61 decent semi-weighted keys, yeah, I do like the Casio CT-S500. But that's a big if.

6 hours ago, EricBarker said:

....  Honestly, every pianoman should have a cheap Casiotone. Don’t bother with Roland GoKeys or GoPiano...

You talked me into it.  I am buying one.  Thanks for being a "cheap" influence on me!  LOL   I was about to buy one when I noticed a number of different Casiotone models.   I don't think I am getting the one without touch sensitivity.   Now I will have to do some research to decide which Casiotone.   I agree to your statement, "Every piano person should have a cheap Casiontone."    I'd add, though, "plus a slim 73 weighted key."   Casio, are you listening?  Make one. I will buy a 73 key version of the 7000, 6000, or whatever .   If not, I will get the Yamaha P121 in addition to a Casiotone.  

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm rocking the CT-S300. Youch! It's gone up in price a notch... oh well, not surprised, still worth it. I've been eyeing the CT-S1, supposed to have quite improved piano sounds, louder speakers and easier patch switching. Plus it's got guitar strap mounts like a keytar... finally, it's bright red so if people are INCREDIBLY drunk they'll think it's a Nord. It still has a handle, but it's on the back and not all the way through. That said, my CT-S300 has done me good enough, and I don't need the upgrade. Plus, you're only a guitar strap and some duct tape away from a keytar anyway!

If you can justify a bit more in the Casio budget, I'm really impressed with the CT-S500 (which includes the improved speakers and all the sounds from the CT-S1). See:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/184422-casio-ct-s500-thoughts/#comments

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/180837-casiotone-ct-s1000v-and-ct-s500-arranger-keyboards/#comments

and even though it's about the model above which adds vocal functions, most of the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/184347-team-test-casio-ct-s1000v-arranger-keyboard-with-aix-vocal-synthesis/#comments applies as well. 

I do feel like this is an area where, to a point "Cheap = Better". Less worry, less concern about perfection. It's a campfire/jammy/travel instrument. If it breaks, you don't cry, you just get a new one. It's like how I always love having an older used car for hauling gear. I don't have to have any stress about babying it when I throw things in the back. I'll toss a mic stand in the back seat and if it scratches the vinyl, "meh". I'd hate to have a clean new car for hauling gear. I feel like the CT-S500, at just under $400, is getting a little too "serious" money-wise for a beater. But that's just me.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:25 PM, EricBarker said:

...I've been eyeing the CT-S1...

Honey, Eric shrunk my key from 73 to 61!    Amazing how my 73 key got transformed on this forum.   LOL   Just ordered a CT-S1 from B&H and used their Payboo card to avoid the sales tax of $17.54.   The funny thing is that I might even use the CT-S1 at my regular, weekly gigs once in a while though down the road I would also get a weighted 73 key.   I had to wait one day before ordering to make sure it arrives on Tuesday not Monday.  In the meantime, I read this post of yours which served as a confirmation for me.     Thanks.    

Great thread - and very opportune as I am also looking for a cheapish and as narrow as possible 73 key keyboard. I woudl also love to buy a casio but it must have fully weighted keys, and they dont seem to have one like that as far as I can see. So it looks like it will have to be the Yamaha unless there is something else out there which has not been mentioned....

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

5 hours ago, JohnDoe said:

+1 re. the P-121 and it has a built-in audiointerface, the P-121A has not!

Did you mean to say the P125 which doesn't have audio over USB?   I could not find any info on the P-121A.  

P125 and P121 have audio over USB. New P125A does not. So far, there does not seem to be a P121A.

6 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

P125 and P121 have audio over USB. New P125A does not. So far, there does not seem to be a P121A.

Thx Scott, my bad!

Still, I wonder why Yamaha choose to have MIDI only in P-125A and MIDI and Audio in P-121?

Apart from the number of keys they are identical.

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

9 minutes ago, JohnDoe said:

Thx Scott, my bad!

Still, I wonder why Yamaha choose to have MIDI only in P-125A and MIDI and Audio in P-121?

Sounds like a chip sourcing or costing issue. Everyone and their cat needs a midi-usb chip, audio ones, not so much. Revise the board, save cost-per-unit.

2 hours ago, JohnDoe said:

Thx Scott, my bad!

The P125 and P121 were identical except for # of keys. The P125 has recently had a minor revision to P125A, and that feature was dropped. The P121 has the benefit of not (yet?) having been updated.