Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Leslie sim

Konnector

Just stumbled upon this new Leslie sim.

https://brotherofmars.com/audio-plugins/

image.png.136624ac575c06b09e71139ed54c3e3b.png

Comes in two graphical versions:
- with spinning animation
- with fixed GUI
Currently available in VST3 format on Windows 64bit (including Windows 7)
A MacOS version is in the making and should hopefully be released soon.
A fully functional demo can be downloaded from the website.
The price of a license is currently £17.

5 hours ago, pizzafilms said:

There's also Spin from GG Audio (maker of Blue3).

https://gg-audio.com/spin.html

image.thumb.png.14098d1e77ec2ea7d8f8b8d248b1bd2e.png

Like the sound of the GG Audio leslie

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

10 hours ago, kwyn said:

How does one route their instrument through one of these virtual Leslies? Do people use this live?

Hi kwyn,

I believe you're asking about external instruments/hardware (not software instruments)?

You need a laptop/computer, a soundcard and a host to run the audio plugins (Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Cantabile etc).

Then you simply connect your keyboard or guitar to the soundcard, load the plugins in the host and it's done.

All plugins (usually) can also be controlled via midi so you can change their parameters in real time.

Instead if you have a real Hammond organ you first need a "line output" from it, then you can connect it to the soundcard.

Nowadays many people use a laptop on stage (pro musicians might also bring a backup laptop, just in case...)

• Like 1

I don't think it's true that digital isn't made to sound round and welcoming. It's more about the problems surrounding the digital.

For example, you could make the most amazing product, calculate every little detail, every nuance, you could even make it 'better' than its analogue counterpart...you could digitally mimic whatever happens in the real world and more.

Problem is, you then need the cpu to run this powerful product, with a low latency too, on computers all around the world etc. And it must be as cheap as possible.

It can be tricky balance.

In terms of Leslie simulations I'm the first one to say that we are not there yet, some companies claim their product is perfect but it's not, let's be honest.

Yet, it's good to have options that won't brake the bank or your back and in many scenarios (like in a mix) these emulations are indeed getting really good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brotherofmars said:

Yet, it's good to have options that won't brake the bank or your back and in many scenarios (like in a mix) these emulations are indeed getting really good.

The problem I actually find is that there are a ton of 'emulation' options that won't brake the bank, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.  They all fall short and you end up trying to sell (at a loss) the ones you purchased only to eventually buy the one that sounds the best (and is more expensive).  Now I've purchased a more expensive one plus took a loss on the inexpensive one (or just ditch it on the shelf and don't retrieve any money back on it).  Now my expensive option becomes really expensive when I factor in the loss on the first inexpensive one plus others I've tried along the way.  I would rather pay a premium for one that actually does the job correctly the first time, not circle through a half dozen of them spending and losing money on the resale along the way.  

Non-leslie case in point, I purchased a Lounsberry T&F to get that AO-28 pre-amp vibe.  The problem is that it did subtley change the sound, but it was subtle, and while I was really looking for it to round out the top octave of VB3-ii it didn't really do the job there.  It was more about the overdrive (the Fat).  I play a pretty clean leslie so I wasn't looking for "the fat" I was looking for the warmth; at the end of the day the climb wasn't worth the view and now that pedal is gone (at a loss).  I ran VB3-ii through the connections on my AO28 of my B3, top octave shrillness was eliminated, the warmth there, pretty hard to distinguish between the beast and VB3.  Didn't get that same sound out of the T&F.  I'd pay a premium if someone would actually produce a unit that truly handled the signal like the AO28 does, rather than purchasing and selling several inexpensive alternatives to realize that they don't really deliver at the end of the day. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there like me willing to pay the premium to get it right.  

As always, my two cents.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band