Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What can you tell me about the Novation sl49 mkii?

Ok, I hope that your new "purchase" is working properly... :D 

The SL is a quite sophisticated controller. I had one for a number of years and I ended up selling it, for a couple of reasons - but when the price comes down to zero bucks, I would give it a shot; it can take a bunch of roles in a studio if you have some patience to learn it.

It's a great controller, better in many ways than the MK3. Fatar TP9S bed I think. 

The software has several flavors. The really fancy "intelligent" mode was great on paper, but very glitchy in practice. However the basic mode is very good, and deep. It will send SysEX that the MkIII can't even consider. But it does not have CV outs....

Action is really good I think, and it's not that heavy to carry around either. I'm sure you know it does not make sounds, but will run Ipads, laptops, sound modules. Mine is connected to a JV1010. 

• Like 1

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

It all seems to work just fine so far. had to let it dry out as it got rained on a bit.  it was sooo dusty (under somebody's bed maybe?) that the thick layer of dust actually protected it from the rain!  cleaned it and got it setup to control VB3/B3x.  wish it had 9 sliders instead of 8 for drawbars, but i guess i can't ask for my money back. ;) 

On 1/25/2023 at 8:31 AM, yannis D said:

America, the country where you find keyboards abandoned on the street corner and Hammonds given away for free 😉😂👍😳

The only keyboard that I ever found down the street

IMG_20220918_132220.thumb.jpg.6c1418c67d4820170a25070c7322122f.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, marino said:

I guess i've been lucky, or maybe it's because it's also the most densely populated area in the country:

beside the novation, coupla years ago i got a Fender Rhodes at a pawnshop for $75 bucks which i promptly sold for 20 times what i paid for it (i'm not a rhodes guy)...

and around the same time, a tube whurly 145 (spray painted gold sparkle no less) for $30 bucks at a junk store, which the guys from Ian Hunter/mott the hoople took off my hands for a handsome price.  (otherwise i woulda kept it except i have no space in this hell hole of a crowded city)

I have 61 note version I found on eBay for....200 bucks "new" in box. I bought it just for Sysex capabilities, but it does not quite equal the Roland A800 in that respect: there is a limit to how long the messages can be and a few things can't be done, but not many. A nice person in Australia sent me a layout for it pre-programed for JV1080, which has 10 "pages" each giving all sliders a new function in some corner of the JV1010. Pretty amazing really. 

At first I had to leave it outside for two weeks to get the cigarette smell out. It did have the box, but it was not close to new, and even had some rusty bits. 

But everything works. Can run on batteries or USB or charger. You can actually give each slider a "name" that is displayed. It is deployed in a certain small room with unique acoustics that I frequent more often as I age....and it's a joy to play really. 

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

1 hour ago, uhoh7 said:

I have 61 note version I found on eBay for....200 bucks "new" in box. I bought it just for Sysex capabilities, but it does not quite equal the Roland A800 in that respect: there is a limit to how long the messages can be and a few things can't be done, but not many. A nice person in Australia sent me a layout for it pre-programed for JV1080, which has 10 "pages" each giving all sliders a new function in some corner of the JV1010. Pretty amazing really. 

At first I had to leave it outside for two weeks to get the cigarette smell out. It did have the box, but it was not close to new, and even had some rusty bits. 

But everything works. Can run on batteries or USB or charger. You can actually give each slider a "name" that is displayed. It is deployed in a certain small room with unique acoustics that I frequent more often as I age....and it's a joy to play really. 

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

I guess i've been lucky, or maybe it's because it's also the most densely populated area in the country:

beside the novation, coupla years ago i got a Fender Rhodes at a pawnshop for $75 bucks which i promptly sold for 20 times what i paid for it (i'm not a rhodes guy)...

and around the same time, a tube whurly 145 (spray painted gold sparkle no less) for $30 bucks at a junk store, which the guys from Ian Hunter/mott the hoople took off my hands for a handsome price.  (otherwise i woulda kept it except i have no space in this hell hole of a crowded city)

Ι live in a very crowded city myself but I've never found anything special in the dumpster. I once new a guy who bought an old CX3 from a pawn shop for around 20$ but this is all 😉

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2023 at 7:50 AM, Still VanDerGraaf said:

Just to echo the other guys, I bought a used SL61 ii and frankly, I think I will buy some more of them. Cheap to buy, plenty of control features, and importantly, that action is excellent and walks all over plenty of new boards beneath the £1000 mark.

It's one of the good Fatar beds in it, I have a 61MkII since some years now, and on the hunt for a second one. Also one of the few controllers that actually speaks Sysex too!!

On 1/27/2023 at 1:54 AM, marino said:

Did the actual synth engine in this work?

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

6 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

On 1/27/2023 at 2:54 AM, marino said:

Expand  

Did the actual synth engine in this work?

No idea. I didn't dare touch it!  :freak:  :D

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, marino said:

No idea. I didn't dare touch it!  :freak:  :D

Oh really?

A hacksaw, and a piece of wood in the front to cover up, tabletop SY55!!

• Haha 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Have the non-keyboard version of just the controllers, no keybed  or js/mod wheel

RemoteZero sl…

the novation utility wants to own every aspect of the midi/daw/gear communication SUPREMELY annoying!!!

otherwise rather mediocre as a dynamic or playable pad controller. Very stiff.

and the menu diving for settings and parameters /templates is confusing.

sliders are short throw and tend to be stiff. 😂

its a good unit for being able to set and forget things remotely, but not as a realtime controller. I use it on midi gear which have no screen of their own. The concept has promise but the build is plastic gone wild.

free is a good price although worth a few dollars more, perhaps.

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

16 minutes ago, Thethirdapple said:

Have the non-keyboard version of just the controllers, no keybed  or js/mod wheel

RemoteZero sl…

the novation utility wants to own every aspect of the midi/daw/gear communication SUPREMELY annoying!!!

otherwise rather mediocre as a dynamic or playable pad controller. Very stiff.

and the menu diving for settings and parameters /templates is confusing.

sliders are short throw and tend to be stiff. 😂

its a good unit for being able to set and forget things remotely, but not as a realtime controller. I use it on midi gear which have no screen of their own. The concept has promise but the build is plastic gone wild.

free is a good price although worth a few dollars more, perhaps.

PEACE

_
_
_

The win is the keybed, one of the better Fatar synth beds.

Owned the controller (no bed) too, not worse than any other controller without motorised faders etc  In fact the rotary encoders on this one are pretty darn great! 

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -