Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free trial of Rhodes V8 VST

ElmerJFudd

Good clarification. An email that I received said 12 March and 21 March in the same message, so now we see it is 31 March.

I have to close the browser in order to have any hope of using this plug-in, so I likely won't report on the results until tomorrow, as it can take an hour for apps to be functional on my iMac anymore. My previous trial run was inside Vienna Ensemble Pro, which I use for initial vetting of new plug-ins, but it will probably perform better in Digital Performer.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Good clarification. An email that I received said 12 March and 21 March in the same message, so now we see it is 31 March.

I have to close the browser in order to have any hope of using this plug-in, so I likely won't report on the results until tomorrow, as it can take an hour for apps to be functional on my iMac anymore. My previous trial run was inside Vienna Ensemble Pro, which I use for initial vetting of new plug-ins, but it will probably perform better in Digital Performer.

UPDATE: Still no go. Only 8% max of CPU is used, and not much more RAM than before launching DP, with over ⅔ of available RAM unused. Quite a mystery! I'll wait for the next version, I suppose, but am in the midst of doing yet more diagnostics and custom reboots of the iMac.

Even so, I was able to tell this is the best sounding Rhodes currently available. Much to my surprise, it sounds more realistic and three-dimensional than my current favorite, which is the Scarbee 88 (with the add-on expansion, which makes a big difference).

I rarely use Rhodes anymore though, so can't afford to spend much time on this as a priority. I find that I prefer acoustic piano on almost everything I originally designated for Rhodes. And when I want a more bell-like sound, I'll usually reach for Vibraphone instead.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

3 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

UPDATE: Still no go. Only 8% max of CPU is used, and not much more RAM than before launching DP, with over ⅔ of available RAM unused. Quite a mystery! I'll wait for the next version, I suppose, but am in the midst of doing yet more diagnostics and custom reboots of the iMac.

Even so, I was able to tell this is the best sounding Rhodes currently available. Much to my surprise, it sounds more realistic and three-dimensional than my current favorite, which is the Scarbee 88 (with the add-on expansion, which makes a big difference).

I rarely use Rhodes anymore though, so can't afford to spend much time on this as a priority. I find that I prefer acoustic piano on almost everything I originally designated for Rhodes. And when I want a more bell-like sound, I'll usually reach for Vibraphone instead.

I had similar issues to what you described in an earlier post on a Windows 11 computer (haven't installed it on my Mac).  I saw someone from Rhodes chimed in saying that issues should be reported directly to them and that they hadn't heard of this issue, but I did report it about a week ago through their website and never heard back.  When I initially would insert the plugin into an Ableton project, it would initially be completely unplayable / predictable - half of the notes I played would actually sound.  But after about five minutes of inserting the plugin into a project, it would work just fine.  It also worked with no issues in a Reaper project, but was completely unplayable for the first five minutes in an Ableton project.

On a whim last week, I downloaded the app again - I think it was a newer version, but I'm not sure about that.  At any rate, the second download is now working flawlessly in Ableton.  Not sure how long ago you initially downloaded, but if it was a while ago you might want to try to delete your current version and reinstall it.

Knabe baby grand, Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Wurlitzer 200A, Clavinet C, Minimoog Model D, Synthesizers.com modular, Sequential Prophet 6, GSI DMC-122 and Gemini module, Kurzweil PC3-X

Ah, thanks, I'm not used to being allowed to update a demo version of something. Maybe I can give that a try tomorrow night.

As for the "wait a number of minutes before using" behavior, that may well be why it eventually "worked" on rendering the MIDI recorded from my Scarbee 88 part (which I played live, but I record audio and MIDI together in most cases, for safety if nothing else). Although it didn't render every note and glitched some as well.

Doesn't seem I can update my demo copy. My well-known sound designer friend who had posted similar issues on GS, went ahead and purchased it anyway yesterday and is no longer having problems. He now heartily endorses it. I'll probably buy it as soon as I have time to go through all my bills.

Nope, it's a no-go for now -- too many bills, and every time I hear e-piano I prefer acoustic piano, with rare exceptions, and I am still converting a lot of older projects away from Rhodes sounds.

Nevertheless, I think this is now the go-to for that sound, and I've probably owned all but one of them over time (Keyscape is the exception).

Thanks for the link; I don't think I knew about that vendor previously, and his Wurly sounds magnificent!

My favorite Wurly for many years now has been the one by our fellow forum member published as Purgatory Creek.

It would be interesting to hear a shootout of those two. BTW I approve of all of Adam's miking and recording choices.

I listened to his Theremin and Stage 73 samples though and couldn't stand them! Maybe they're older than the Wurly?

This just reinforces for me that I no longer like Rhodes Piano very much -- I find it depressing sounding, and a Wurly to be joyful.

It sounds between an acoustic piano (or Yamaha CP80) and a Vibraphone, and I'd rather have one or the other.

It's weird because for many years I didn't like Wurly that much but loved Rhodes. Like I said though, I have very few Rhodes parts left.

I may still buy this library eventually anyway, as I do feel it is the best so far, even though I previously thought Scarbee 88 was the pinnacle.

Just watched the livestream and was surprised by the top 5. Some were great but the fifth one, which won, was an ambient piece with hardly any Rhodes. One judge said putting Rhodes front and centre was not necessary but that was the brief…..

Also, where were the other 15 winners??

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

Just watched the livestream and was surprised by the top 5. Some were great but the fifth one, which won, was an ambient piece with hardly any Rhodes. One judge said putting Rhodes front and centre was not necessary but that was the brief…..

Also, where were the other 15 winners??

Yes my feelings too - I thought the idea was to show off the Rhodes and also make the track work with the video and rap - which had a very urban vibe to it. Well I suppose it's just sour grapes 'cos I didn't win!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The "real" Rhodes sounds fine enough, but the plug I wouldn't install if it were free.

At some point the second rate "sample monger" developers will have to be replaced by devs with proper theoretical and applicable knowledge to make sounds that aren't warmth, clarity and polyphony challenged, and then maybe a proper digital to analog strategy and accurate midi, and then it might sound like Duke could already sound inthe '70s.

T

On 4/23/2023 at 6:49 AM, Theo Verelst said:

The "real" Rhodes sounds fine enough, but the plug I wouldn't install if it were free.

everyone has a different situation. As for me, I am very happy with the VST. I purchased it at the intro price which made an easier decision.

Currently, according to good information, there is a 10 month waiting peroid for one to receive a pianoafter purchase.

Customers might just use the VST while waiting for their shipment to arrive. As always, YMMV. 

:nopity:

• 1 year later...

It's on sale right now, saw it at plugin boutique, possibly other online dealers too, not checked.

I'm waiting for the iOS version before I'll swipe my card.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

6 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

This VST has 20GB of samples, your credit card is safe. ;)

Ha, look the Neo Soul Keys, "25 GB (8.0 GB Lossless) Sample Library", and still imnsfho that product sounds dull...(own it but does not have it installed).

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro