Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Julian Colbeck on ABWH

Julian was in a band called Charlie in the late 70s. They were an excellent band and got a lot of FM play on the big Los Angeles stations. The band did a US tour opening for Foreigner and due to record company problems ran out of money in Rhode Island. Julian and guitarist Eugene Organ remained in the US and made their way to southern California. It was there that I got into a band with Eugene. One night Julian came to one of our gigs. We were talking synths and having just seen the Matrix 12 at NAMM I asked him what he thought about it. He said "It's too complicated". Not the reply I expected from the guy who had written a well-known book about synths. I bought a Matrix 12 anyway.

Here are a few songs by Charlie that I liked and you never hear anymore.

• Love 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Julian Colbeck is an entertaining writer and he was on stage with ABWH.  On the "An Evening of Yes Music Plus" video you'll see him on a riser to stage right of Bill Bruford, right behind Steve Howe.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Yeah, they shot a lot of footage of him on stage for An Evening Of Yes Music Plus. His skills were incredible and parts were pretty prominent. He was often playing some of Rick's most complex lines while Rick soloed. He was definitely not off stage. His position wasn't as prominent as Rick's, but he had a big "Keyboard world" of his own that was totally visible.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

1 hour ago, EricBarker said:

Yeah, they shot a lot of footage of him on stage for An Evening Of Yes Music Plus. His skills were incredible and parts were pretty prominent. He was often playing some of Rick's most complex lines while Rick soloed. He was definitely not off stage. His position wasn't as prominent as Rick's, but he had a big "Keyboard world" of his own that was totally visible.

Well that's OK then.

Cheers, Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this tour. They were very careful to give stage space and due credit to both Julian and Milton McDonald, the second guitar player. And wow, was it a great show.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Twiddly.BITS are awesome -- some of the few that sound lifelike, as they weren't quantized and they were recorded through unique MIDI interfaces from guitar, percussion, winds, etc . I use them more than any other MIDI libraries.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager