Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Set list maker or alternatives for ipad

I realize there is an ipad-related thread going but it's mostly AUM and audio.

I'm looking to have something with a couple main requirements:
- easy to modify/copy set lists - our sets change quite a bit from gig to gig for a few reasons.  One of these being we try to bring in songs that might be getting rusty.
- the lists should be made up of songs that have bank/program changes that can be attached to them.  Meaning, if I make "Superstition", no matter what list it ends up on from week to week it will have the two program changes I need--one for each keyboard.

Extra nice-to-have is lyrics.  Not a huge deal there as I have that with another free app and there's only two songs I sing where I'm shaky on lyrics.

Set list maker on the surface looks perfect, so talk me out of it!  Either that it's buggy, or something else is better.

I believe something like Camelot Pro would do this, but it would be overkill.   I also have Midiflow, which certainly can do the program changes, but I don't think it has managed set lists.

If our set lists didn't change so much I'd just use the Live Sets in my Modx, but those are not really designed to be changed easily, at least from the keyboard they aren't.  Maybe with the Melas tools I could do it.  I'm certainly not going to do it manually slot by slot, it would be a nightmare.

Edit: I just realized that Set List Maker needs an in-app purchase to do Midi.  So I'd need to factor that into the price, it's 5 bucks on top of the purchase price.

Edit2:  yeah this seems *exactly* what I need...so if there is nothing better, I'll be picking this up fairly soon :)

I've used SLM for close to 15 years, with probably 8-10 major projects.  I use if for chord charts, lyrics, patch changes and performance notes for live performance, on an iPad3, which has been running it the whole time.  I import PDF's of songs for most of the work I do rather than using the chord/lyrics windows; it's just how I started, and  continue to work with the program.  I probably have 500-750 songs between all of my databases.  Each project gets it's own database as they usually have their own songs.  It could have better database functionality to allow merging/archiving/de-duping and the like, but after awhile, you develop workarounds for these things.   Since "Band Helper" came out, which is a subscription model of SLM with added functionality/sharing capabilities, development of SLM has somewhat ceased but the functionality you're looking for is in there.  Super easy to modify/copy set lists and set up songs to trigger patch changes.  I use an iRig too...works great.

Other's may have different opinions, but this has been my experience with it.  Good luck

"May you stay...forever young."

Thanks, that's what I like to hear :)  Not like I'm out more than a lunch or two's worth if it doesn't pan out.

I'll need to connect up my two keyboards, currently I don't have them midi'ed up but I have gigged with an ipad via cck right into the Modx.  I've tested Midiflow with the ipad connected to unpowered hub and both keyboards feeding the hub via usb, that should work.  (Though not with my SK Pro, my top keyboard).  The SK Pro isn't nearly as much of a concern as the Modx, since so far I have so few Combi patches for the SK Pro.  That said, if I start using this at all I want it to do everything :D

I’ll add that Arlo, the developer, is super cool about support. He’s usually replied within hours suggesting a workaround the few times I had issues, as he has with friends who bought SLM upon my recommendation. And he’s sincere:  I recently got an email from him that he’d FINALLY bought a Pencil and was looking into the points I’d brought up when I got mine — over five years ago. 

I’ve used it for a decade now, and see no reason to stop. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

One thing to grok is that your MIDI Programs are independent of the songs. 

you create the programs first, and then you can add them to various songs. 

what was super useful when I did top-40 cover stuff was adding songs to a specific point mid-playlist on the fly. We’d get a note that such-and-auch song was added up next. Press button, scroll list of songs, tap, and you’re rolling. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

SLM is a solid choice. I find the creation of set list a *little* cumbersome (it's almost drag-and-drop: check-boxes to select the songs, which get added to the end of the current set - and then drag them around to get the sequence correct).

Beyond that +1 on reliability, MIDI flexibility and support. Small disclaimer, I haven't tried sending more than program change per song. 

Cheers, Mike.

Just adding to what others have already said.  I’ve been using SLM for several years now (with the add-ons) and it works great.   The one or two times I’ve had issues Arlo (the sole developer) has been very responsive.  

I use a combination of pdf files, mp3s (that I trigger for song sample intros), jpgs, midi patch changes, and text files with lyrics, chords, etc and it all works with one button press while playing and scrolling through songs is a breeze as well as setting up setlists.   Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

I just checked my old emails, and I downloaded Set List Maker for the first time in January 2013.  That's ten years ago.  I've used it (or BandHelper once I switched over) for almost every gig of every project in that time.  There's a learning curve but once I climbed it, it's done everything I've ever wanted since.  Arlo has been great with bug fixes and improvements over the years.  He even raises the standard limit he had in place on how many active projects an account can have in BandHelper because of me.  ("How can one person be in so many bands???"  "Well... I'm a keyboard player."  "Oh right." LOL)  

Anyway, highly recommend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used setlist maker years ago and it was very good especially setting up program changes.  I then switched to OnSong (I think because other people in the band were using it).  I found the MIDI setup in that to be more trouble than it was worth, so I just use it for charts.  Fast forward to last week, when I finally replaced my 12 year old iPad.  Apparently to do even basic sets in Onsong, you have to pay a monthly subscription (with different tiers based on what you want).  What a pain.  I'm find with a one time purchase, but to be locked into a subscription to create setlists....cmon.  Not where I want to spend my money.  Is Setlist Maker using a similar model, with subsriptions, or is is just a one time pay to unlock features?  I really just need something simple for charts that I can add some markup to and group into setlists.  

19 hours ago, analogika said:

One thing to grok is that your MIDI Programs are independent of the songs. 

you create the programs first, and then you can add them to various songs. 

what was super useful when I did top-40 cover stuff was adding songs to a specific point mid-playlist on the fly. We’d get a note that such-and-auch song was added up next. Press button, scroll list of songs, tap, and you’re rolling. 

I'm glad you posted that, because I had a bit of confusion about it.   I saw something named "midi patches" or something similar, and it didn't seem to be referring to songs.

That's actually fine, and maybe preferred, as I tend to reuse patches from song to song (and then sometimes change my mind).  So "Hall strings" can be attached to several songs, and if I decide one of them needs piano instead I'd de-link the strings from that Song and attach piano.  That's if I'm understanding correctly.

I floated the idea of all of us getting this (and pointed out bandmatehelper!) but my bandmates are 1) cheap in some ways and 2) a couple are tech-averse.  The singer still prints out set lists for everyone for every show, even though I could easily just view a pdf on my ipad.   So because we'll still have the printed and pdf versions, I may not need to build set lists--an alpha lists of songs would probably work quickly enough.   I tend to look ahead a song or two as it is to know what I need to do for the next couple tunes.

re: subscriptions - I don't think SLM is subscription.  Band mate helper (expanded app from the same company) I think is.
Subscription is the main reason I didn't even consider Onsong, despite my best friend using it and being able to get me started with it.  Plus I don't really need much of what it offers.

Yeah, I switched from SLM to BandHelper pretty much for the cloud storage of charts, and the sync capabilities (write the setlist on the phone or in a web browser, it shows up on the iPad).  I've never had any bandmates show an interest in joining my BandHelper account or using an iPad on stage.  Frankly, except in casuals gigs, I think keyboard players and drummers are the only ones that can get away with iPads on stage, because we have more places to hide them.

I have had several artists I work with hit me up for old setlists, or for info like "what haven't we played in a while?", since they know BandHelper makes it easy.  It also is very handy for planning precise set lengths (e.g. for a support slot), if you take the time to get accurate length data on each song.  I usually do this from a scratch live recording with a field recorder near the beginning of a tour.

18 hours ago, mynameisdanno said:

He even raises the standard limit he had in place on how many active projects an account can have in BandHelper because of me.  ("How can one person be in so many bands???"  "Well... I'm a keyboard player."  "Oh right." LOL)

Love this!

Cheers, Mike.

4 hours ago, Stokely said:

I'm glad you posted that, because I had a bit of confusion about it.   I saw something named "midi patches" or something similar, and it didn't seem to be referring to songs.

That's actually fine, and maybe preferred, as I tend to reuse patches from song to song (and then sometimes change my mind).  So "Hall strings" can be attached to several songs, and if I decide one of them needs piano instead I'd de-link the strings from that Song and attach piano.  That's if I'm understanding correctly

Your understanding is correct, and of course reuse of patches is the reason Arlo designed it that way.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stokely said:

That's actually fine, and maybe preferred, as I tend to reuse patches from song to song (and then sometimes change my mind).  So "Hall strings" can be attached to several songs, and if I decide one of them needs piano instead I'd de-link the strings from that Song and attach piano.  That's if I'm understanding correctly.

Exactly. Glad I could preëmptively clear that up. 🙃

5 hours ago, Stokely said:

The singer still prints out set lists for everyone for every show, even though I could easily just view a pdf on my ipad.   So because we'll still have the printed and pdf versions, I may not need to build set lists--an alpha lists of songs would probably work quickly enough.   I tend to look ahead a song or two as it is to know what I need to do for the next couple tunes.

You really want to throw together a set list — it takes all of two minutes, if you’re slow. 

You build screen layouts for your projects, with the needed assortment of buttons (MIDI programs, visual metronome, playback, lyric scrolling, etc.) and chord/pdf/lyric display, whatever. You can copy these layouts (they can be vertical or horizontal) between project databases. 

If you’re just in the song list, you don’t have access to these layouts, and it’s slightly more involved to display just the sheets or so. 

How does SLM deal with program changes to multiple destinations? For instance, on a song like Rebel Yell I use sounds from my MODX along with Korg Module and Model D on my iPad. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

8 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

How does SLM deal with program changes to multiple destinations? For instance, on a song like Rebel Yell I use sounds from my MODX along with Korg Module and Model D on my iPad. 

You can add as many MIDI commands to a song as you want.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nice, that is probably going to be a requirement for me as well as soon as I build up patches on my SK pro.

I had a perfect chance over last week and this to get started on this, a rare weekend without a gig just passed...and I haven't done it.  There's still time!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have experience sending Mode changes (e.g. Performance mode) using Motif XF and Setlist Maker?

(I have figured out sending patch changes) 

Pop/Rock - Motif XF, Motif ES

Blues/Jazz - Nord Electro 2-73, Nord Electro 2 Rack

Integrating into new rig: Yamaha Montage

I haven’t taken a deep dive into SLM but did have trouble getting it to change Live Sets on my MODX via program change for some reason.  Is it possible to work the other way around, in other words can SLM receive program changes to call up charts, for example?

"Have a good time ... all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty."

This may not be the precise answer to your question but you can set up SLM to recall PDFs of charts and lyrics when you select the song title from a show Setlist. 
Hopefully others that are more knowledgeable will share more info. 

• Like 1

Pop/Rock - Motif XF, Motif ES

Blues/Jazz - Nord Electro 2-73, Nord Electro 2 Rack

Integrating into new rig: Yamaha Montage

On 1/23/2024 at 2:04 PM, RJ.keyman said:

Does anyone have experience sending Mode changes (e.g. Performance mode) using Motif XF and Setlist Maker?

(I have figured out sending patch changes) 

I did this with my MOXF which is pretty much the same. I used Band Helper to select a Master Mode patch which would have either a Voice, Performance, or Song saved to it .You have to use hex code which looks like below:

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 3.59.30 PM.png

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

6 hours ago, Viv Savage said:

I haven’t taken a deep dive into SLM but did have trouble getting it to change Live Sets on my MODX via program change for some reason.  Is it possible to work the other way around, in other words can SLM receive program changes to call up charts, for example?

I was able to use Band Helper to select Live Sets on my MODX7. My midi presets looked like below:

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 4.02.44 PM.png

• Like 1

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

On 1/17/2023 at 10:36 AM, HammondDave said:

I set up Band Helper to control my Nord Stage 3, Prophet Rev 2, and a whole bunch of pedals on my pedalboard. One of my presets looked like this:

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 4.06.11 PM.png

I don’t think I’ve read anything in this thread that I can’t do with forScore, plus forScore does lots of other things also.  For me, having one program for all my music AND my set lists is very efficient.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

14 minutes ago, cassdad said:

I don’t think I’ve read anything in this thread that I can’t do with forScore, plus forScore does lots of other things also.  For me, having one program for all my music AND my set lists is very efficient.

Yeah.  SetList Maker, ForScore, MobileSheets Pro, etc ....   They all do the same stuff.  I use MobileSheets Pro because that is the one I downloaded and figured out first.   My only problem with the app is periodically it needs to download a refreshed license file or it will not run..... which means I need to turn it on and connect the tablet to the internet before every gig to be safe.  I play gigs without WiFi so that could be an issue if I didn't.   The only thing I use the  tablet for is to run that app.   So, depending on how the app in question handles licensing this could be an issue for people who only use the tablet at gigs.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

On 1/24/2024 at 2:42 PM, Viv Savage said:

can SLM receive program changes to call up charts

19 hours ago, benj2017 said:

I set up Band Helper to control my Nord Stage 3, Prophet Rev 2, and a whole bunch of pedals on my pedalboard.

@benj2017 you're setting up the app to send program changes. @Viv Savage wants the app to receive them.

Cheers, Mike.

I have found Set List Maker totally undependable in my rig.

When I send the midi data from it to my MODX, it will activate the next song in the MODX setlist. But if I try to go back, or skip a song, the MODX stays in the current performance.

Am I missing something? 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D