Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Set list maker or alternatives for ipad

13 hours ago, cassdad said:

I don’t think I’ve read anything in this thread that I can’t do with forScore, plus forScore does lots of other things also.  For me, having one program for all my music AND my set lists is very efficient.

12 hours ago, CEB said:

Yeah.  SetList Maker, ForScore, MobileSheets Pro, etc ....   They all do the same stuff.  I use MobileSheets Pro because that is the one I downloaded and figured out first.   My only problem with the app is periodically it needs to download a refreshed license file or it will not run..... which means I need to turn it on and connect the tablet to the internet before every gig to be safe.  I play gigs without WiFi so that could be an issue if I didn't.   The only thing I use the  tablet for is to run that app.   So, depending on how the app in question handles licensing this could be an issue for people who only use the tablet at gigs.  

So when I went down the rabbit hole with this a few years ago post Covid with my MOXF6/Nord Stage combo and then my MODX7, I tried a lot of different apps including forscore and unrealbook and chose Band Helper for these reasons:

• Good support from Arlo, great website, and forum website where you can ask for help
  • Browser based login and shortcuts for importing batches of PDFs, song titles, and midi presets, If you are reasonably computer savvy you can import and setup a hundred songs with program changes in like 2-3 hours. Its crazy when you compare it to the alternative.
  • The ability to customize the app layout and additional features like adding tracks, set timers, band calendar, linking iPads or iPhones, controlling lights and so on
  • Very reasonable monthly/annual price (last year it was 12 bucks for my single membership)

Forscore does offer the ability to create your own score(s), which band helper doesn't. Obviously everyone's needs will be a little different, just relating my experience.

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

42 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

@benj2017 you're setting up the app to send program changes. @Viv Savage wants the app to receive them.

Cheers, Mike.

I think the reply you're quoting was to HammondDave.

Viv mentioned trying sending program changes to the MODX7 first and trying the alternative as a workaround which is why I related my set-up/experience.

• Like 1

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

24 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I have found Set List Maker totally undependable in my rig.

When I send the midi data from it to my MODX, it will activate the next song in the MODX setlist. But if I try to go back, or skip a song, the MODX stays in the current performance.

Am I missing something? 

Yeah, your setup sounds similar to mine, although I only use a MODX7 and I am running Band Helper which is the more recent version of Set List Maker I believe. I think if you email Arlo he can prob help you out and maybe see if upgrading to Band Helper is worth it.

Its not super expensive and I like supporting guys like him. For what its worth, I use my setups for wedding/corporate stuff and it makes selecting songs on the fly a breeze.

So I figured I would show how I created my midi presets for the MODX all in one go. (You can do the same for songs and documents)

Here is the link to the bandhelper website page that deals with it and also one for Midi:

https://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/importing_data.html

https://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

• 2 weeks later...