Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Getting into old TV shows you hadn't before

bill5

I mean old.......recently a channel I get showed re-runs of Wells Fargo, a really old western series and I've been getting into it. Sure the acting isn't impressive and the by the numbers plots are predictable, but it's still worth the watch IMO and fun to see a western series again. And not unlike Twlight Zone (though not nearly as impressive), numerous actors who will become better known (granted most as character actors) make early appearances.

For OLD I've just finished watch the original Perry Mason and it was fun seeing  the idea of good acting for the time, the different values and things the just wouldn't fly in today's world.  Then the music Jazz influenced soundtrack and being into cars see the  old 40-50's car and though to the 60's.  

Another I watched recently was NYPD Blue and the was great seeing it again.   I never had any of the cable TV so with Amazon Prime I'm catching up on a lot of TV series I missed and really like being able to watch on my schedule not once a week.  Some of the ones I really like is  The Wire, Mr. Robot, Power, House, Lost and other J.J. Abrams series.   One show the everyone raved about I never saw when it was on was The Sopranos,  I recently watched and thought it was okay, but nothing great.  

I also have been watching the Perry Mason series.  I actually think it holds up pretty well, even though it is formulaic and fairly predictable.  The cars are one of the best parts, I didn't realize they made so many two door convertibles back then!

Also watched most of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and all of Twilight Zone. The original Sherlock Holmes with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce are also excellent.  

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Reynolds was actually a regular on there for awhile. Kelly I think was known largely for western parts before ST. 

But honestly nobody beats Twilight Zone for a who's-who of famous actors that weren't famous yet...Nimoy, Shatner, Robert Redford, Jack Klugman, Ross Martin, the list goes on forever

• Like 1

Bought the complete Route 66 on DVD for cheap. It's been a good watch. Also been watching the old Dick Van Dyke Show. Strange, the first three seasons of Petticoat Junction are easy to find streaming or on DVD. The later seasons are very hard to catch. Found a 7 season set of Mission Impossible on DVD for cheap. Getting ready to start that.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

12 hours ago, Docbop said:

For OLD I've just finished watch the original Perry Mason and it was fun seeing  the idea of good acting for the time, the different values and things the just wouldn't fly in today's world.  Then the music Jazz influenced soundtrack and being into cars see the  old 40-50's car and though to the 60's. 

When I was a kid, I hated suffering through the parents watching Perry Mason the times I had to.    Now, they're great!  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

Reynolds was actually a regular on there for awhile. Kelly I think was known largely for western parts before ST. 

But honestly nobody beats Twilight Zone for a who's-who of famous actors that weren't famous yet...Nimoy, Shatner, Robert Redford, Jack Klugman, Ross Martin, the list goes on forever

That list is huge:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/62816/18-celebrities-who-appeared-twilight-zone

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

On 12/23/2022 at 11:54 AM, skipeb3 said:

Lately I've been watching "Fernwood Tonight" on YouTube. So funny...and Tommy Tedesco in the house band. Plus Fred Willard... 

I once purchased the entire DVD collection of Fernwood Tonight and America tonight.  Those guys were funny as hell to me, but not everyone's cup of tea-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre