Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Winwood still has it at 74 - The Spark ...

Farfisakid

Awesome!

Is it me or does it sounds like there's a bass in that mix? I'm not complaining, just noticing.

• Like 2

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

18 minutes ago, Joe Muscara said:

Is it me or does it sounds like there's a bass in that mix? I'm not complaining, just noticing.

I hear it too.  An enhancement, not a distraction.  Great song, nice treatment.

• Like 1

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

3 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

Awesome!

At first I thought it might be MIDI, but turns out to be accompaniment.  Tasteful.

He is just amazing!  The whole songwriting, singing, playing package is still there. More laid back but just as good. 

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Steve Winwood is not just a great keyboard player and singer, he is also a pretty good guitarist and songwriter. I loved his work in Traffic and Blind Faith.

Aging rock stars rule!

You forgot bassist and drummer. Not saying he's the next Stanley Clarke or Gene Krupa, but IMO did quite well on Arc of a Diver, where he did everything short of the album cover.

As for his voice, it sounds the same as it did in the 60s. I think when he was born he sounded like that. :)  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

......as for his voice, it sounds the same as it did in the 60s. I think when he was born he sounded like that. :)  

Actually according to his brother Muff, a young Steve Winwood used to sit and copy Ray Charles records for hours. Other than sounding maybe about a fifth higher(obvious alchohol joke not intended) that's who he sounds like.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

Yikes, the compression is so high that even when I turn my speakers to as soft as they'll go before shutting off sound (on account of my downstairs tenant being asleep), it sounds loud! Painful! Even so, the performance itself is pretty good, if low energy. What impresses me most is Winwood's control of tempo; usually a huge problem with pianists. His voice shows its age but not as much as most of his contemporaries. Piano playing still up there. Can't tell if bass was added after the fact or if they're hiding somewhere behind the piano..

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

11 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Can't tell if bass was added after the fact or if they're hiding somewhere behind the piano..

I 100% love Steve Winwood, but there's something here that slightly bugs at me. The bass line is so perfectly sync'ed to the piano LH that it doesn't sound like an overdub - more like a line derived from MIDI information from the piano. (Or even a Melodyne'd extraction of the audio of the LH notes). 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Yikes, the compression is so high that even when I turn my speakers to as soft as they'll go before shutting off sound (on account of my downstairs tenant being asleep), it sounds loud!

One man’s compression is another’s expression 😉

Here for the gear.