Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2023 Thread

Cody Bellinger returns to Los Angeles as a Chicago Cub. Gets thunderous applause.

Cody Bellinger robs Justin Heyward of a home run. Gets thunderous boos.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

image.png

• Haha 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Just booked a flight to Baltimore for the last weekend in September. Going to visit my childhood best friend from New Jersey, go see Gino Vannelli on October 1 at Maryland Hall, and see the Orioles take on the Red Sox at Camden Yard on September 30, the second to last game of the season. Hopefully I can get him to drive me to Wheaton to finally visit Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. I've been wanting to get to that store since 1980.

• Like 2

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Yeah, possums are common in the region. I've seen them many times in California and Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in Las Vegas too, although they might find that environment less hospitable considering how many people come out at night, at least on the strip. Otherwise, possums are certainly not shy about living where people live.

I imagine that a stadium, which is only densely populated for a few hours at a time and probably throws out plenty of food, would be a nice place for an animal to make a home. The fact that it hasn't been apprehended probably reflects more on the owner than the location.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

On another note, Fernando Tatis Jr returns to the Padres lineup tonight. We'll see what he adds to a Padres lineup that has been struggling. The 1-4 of the Padres should now be:

Fernando Tatis Jr

Juan Soto

Manny Machado

Xander Bogaerts

Or some permutation thereof. I hope it catches fire. The material is there but sometimes you don't get the spark. They haven't had it yet this season.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

22 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

I guess we all saw it coming, but I’m still sorry to hear the news:

Oakland A's agree to purchase land near Las Vegas Strip

Best,

Geoff

I think it's a bad move. I'd rather see Charlotte or Portland get a team. Or just replace the Oakland Coliseum.

9 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

On another note, Fernando Tatis Jr returns to the Padres lineup tonight. We'll see what he adds to a Padres lineup that has been struggling. The 1-4 of the Padres should now be:

Fernando Tatis Jr

Juan Soto

Manny Machado

Xander Bogaerts

Or some permutation thereof. I hope it catches fire. The material is there but sometimes you don't get the spark. They haven't had it yet this season.

They looked pretty bad against the Braves. I don't know what's up with Juan Soto. My daughter and I speculated that he's not hitting because he's no longer doing his butt-wiggle when he's up at bat.

2 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

They looked pretty bad against the Braves. I don't know what's up with Juan Soto. My daughter and I speculated that he's not hitting because he's no longer doing his butt-wiggle when he's up at bat.

They sure did. Soto has said something isn't working in his swing. He's making contact and hitting the ball HARD but it's going right to 2nd base. He says usually it'll elevate and pop right over their head. He hit a monster HR yesterday. We'll see if he can adjust it. At this point he's costing himself money.

• Like 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

16 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

They sure did. Soto has said something isn't working in his swing. He's making contact and hitting the ball HARD but it's going right to 2nd base. He says usually it'll elevate and pop right over their head. He hit a monster HR yesterday. We'll see if he can adjust it. At this point he's costing himself money.

He's too good to not correct it soon. He's a real student of hitting and has one of the best strike zone eyes in the game. Sometimes I think the home plate umpire defers to him whether it was a ball or strike. But I still think it's the butt-wiggle. 😉

Fernando Tatis is the real question mark in my mind. Manny is going to be Manny, and Bogaerts will earn his money. But Tatis didn't play long enough to know if his monster season was a fluke. And he's already shown that he can be immature and use bad judgement in his personal life. We'll see. 

Blake Snell should be better than he's showing. Joe Musgrove and Yu Darvish I haven't seen or heard about this year. And you got rid of the creep, Mike Clevinger. Hader will be great again. He reminds me of Randy Johnson.

And that's my Padres wrap!  Lol!

On 4/21/2023 at 7:57 PM, Synthaholic said:

Joe Musgrove and Yu Darvish I haven't seen or heard about this year.

Yeah, Yu Darvish is going to be just fine.  🤣

I love Rob Friedman’s content. It really has really helped me appreciate the ability of Major League pitchers.

On a personal note, I attended the Dodgers-Phillies game last night. Wasn’t particularly close, with the Dodger bats teeing off on the Phils’ pitching and the defence holding up any potential rallies.

But boy oh boy, what a ballpark. What a setting. I sat at the very top row of the top deck behind home plate, which, while being an economical choice, actually gave me a great view of both the game and the park. It was a great game atmosphere as well, despite it being a chilly Monday evening in early May. I can’t imagine what the vibes must be like in September or October. A great experience, and I got a Dustin May bobblehead and a nacho helmet to remember it by!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MAJUSCULE said:

I love Rob Friedman’s content. It really has really helped me appreciate the ability of Major League pitchers.

On a personal note, I attended the Dodgers-Phillies game last night. Wasn’t particularly close, with the Dodger bats teeing off on the Phils’ pitching and the defence holding up any potential rallies.

But boy oh boy, what a ballpark. What a setting. I sat at the very top row of the top deck behind home plate, which, while being an economical choice, actually gave me a great view of both the game and the park. It was a great game atmosphere as well, despite it being a chilly Monday evening in early May. I can’t imagine what the vibes must be like in September or October. A great experience, and I got a Dustin May bobblehead and a nacho helmet to remember it by!

Hard to believe it's the second oldest park in the National League, and third oldest in baseball...and although I am biased, it is a pretty magical place. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 12:29 PM, MAJUSCULE said:

I’m glad you were able to make the trek to Chavez Ravine, Eric. I haven’t been in years, but it’s a special place. If only we were there today, we could have witnessed this glorious finish by Max Muncy:

Muncy's walk-off slam gives Dodgers 10-6 win over Phillies

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

The Phillies and Cardinals have been surprisingly bad.

I'm a Cards fan (yes since the 70s) but can't speak to the current team at all. I just glance at the standings once in awhile.

But I've been spoiled; I've seen them win the title more than once...so if they suck while some perennial losers like the Pirates or Reds finally have a good year, I'm OK with it. 

• 1 month later...

Giants rally for 7-5 win over Dodgers after getting no-hit for 6 innings by LA rookie Emmet Sheehan

Sheehan was pitching a no-hitter in his major-league debut, and they pulled him! If he had been allowed to finish what he started, and was successful, he would have been only the second pitcher in MLB history to do so, the other being Bumpus Jones in 1892. Dodgers fan though I may be, it serves them right to lose in extra innings after robbing Sheehan (and baseball fans) of the chance to accomplish something extraordinary. 

I’m not a fan at all of the current trend of pulling pitchers in the middle of no-hitters, but to do so in a major-league debut was particularly egregious. :mad: 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Giants rally for 7-5 win over Dodgers after getting no-hit for 6 innings by LA rookie Emmet Sheehan

Sheehan was pitching a no-hitter in his major-league debut, and they pulled him! If he had been allowed to finish what he started, and was successful, he would have been only the second pitcher in MLB history to do so, the other being Bumpus Jones in 1892. Dodgers fan though I may be, it serves them right to lose in extra innings after robbing Sheehan (and baseball fans) of the chance to accomplish something extraordinary. 

I’m not a fan at all of the current trend of pulling pitchers in the middle of no-hitters, but to do so in a major-league debut was particularly egregious. :mad: 

Best,

Geoff

I agree. And I feel that MLB managing overall is the worst I have ever seen. None of these guys know what a hit and run is, or a sacrifice bunt. I've probably ranted about this before, but it bugs me to no end.

Extra innings start with a runner on 2nd. Just have the first batter bunt him over to third, and then you have a great chance to get him in on a fly to the outfield. None of these MLB managers do this. But it seems the obvious way to get a run. Is the problem that none of the players know how to bunt? Whose fault is that?

Analytics have gone way too far. I'm all for using statistical analysis to help you get a more complete picture of a player. But when it's used to totally disregard whole facets of the game it's doing more harm than good. Taking a pitcher out because of some arbitrary pitch count is dumb. Trust your pitcher to tell you if he's still got gas in the tank. A young rookie is going to have more life in his arm than Max Scherzer. You can't limit them the same way.

• Like 2

Shohei is great, but . . . 

Shohei Ohtani: 24 HR 58 RBI

Ozzie Albies: 17 HR 52 RBI

Ozzie is leading the NL in RBI. I don't know how many solo homers Shohei has hit but I'm betting at least 7. Take those 1-run homers away and he is tied in HR with one less RBI. Ozzie can't pitch worth a damned, though. spacer.png