Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Otis Redding & "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay"

David Emm

This song haunted me as a kid and it got "worse" as I grew up and understood its layers better. Otis wrote "RESPECT," but when he heard Queen Aretha try it on, he said "She should be the one to sing that." "Dock of the Bay" is elegant and haunting. Its an odd feeling, but I miss him. We all lost a lot.   

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/inside-otis-redding-s-final-masterpiece-sittin-on-the-dock-of-the-bay?utm_source=pocket-newtab

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

Now I'm gonna have to learn it!!!

I know better than to try and sound like Otis Redding with a great band, just me on acoustic guitar. I don't do imitations. 

A great song holds up, you can't mistreat it but if you love it (and I do LOVE this song!!!), you can deliver something credible. 

Could take me a while, it is added to the "Must Learn" list. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Spooky....you put this up

i just finished today re-doing my chart and rehearsing it for a piano gig this weekend incase i need an extra filler song or the night seems to draw that one in

As its a solo i like to have it all charted out how id play it on piano non band wise where id normally play organ, sing and play synth whistle at end.

Will i play the whisling on piano...why not it gives an ending. 

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

What do you use to synthesize a whistle? Did you find a pre-programmed patch, or roll your own?

Cheers, Mike.

Preprogramed patches i find in what ever keyboard i was using. If no whistle then i use an organ patch. 

As I'm on acoustic piano I may decide on night to keep it simple but wont know till im playing.

Ironically i was listening to the song on utube and my god my ears are really shot as i couldnt hear much of the whistling

11 hours ago, stoken6 said:

What do you use to synthesize a whistle? Did you find a pre-programmed patch, or roll your own?

Cheers, Mike.

That song got called out of the blue one night at a gig, and I found a penny whistle patch on my Yammy S90 that sounded pretty credible with a bit of pitch bend.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

23 minutes ago, Threadslayer said:

That song got called out of the blue one night at a gig, and I found a penny whistle patch on my Yammy S90 that sounded pretty credible with a bit of pitch bend.

Yeah often ive used a General Midi Whistle with pitch bend. (Yes wash my mouth out with synthesized mouth wash.)

General Midi Whistle.. Infact often the GM whistle is one of GM's better sounds.

So this is about the poor sap who fell off the cruise ship in the gulf last week.  After being rescued, he was interviewed and asked how he stayed conscious and survived in the water for 10 hours, he replied that he would sing to himself.  What he sang, with modified lyrics, was "(I wish I was) Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay . . . .

unbeliveable! 

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

On 11/30/2022 at 6:47 PM, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Will i play the whisling on piano...why not it gives an ending. 

Did the gig on weekend and got to the whistling part on Dock but left it out just noodling out instead.

The song was well appreciated by then so no need to embellish it.

Its funny how a song you'd not expect to play at a piano gig can go down so well. I like putting in odd ones you not really expect to hear on piano.