Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cherry Audio GX-80!

Wait until you see this thing.  A combination of the Yaqmaha CS-80 and GX-1, and more! 🤩🥳

850925292_GX-80Alaska.thumb.jpg.0e42f514f9d27238eda80b81c6f0b155.jpg

We've actually been working on a team review of this for the past few weeks.  It's just gone live in the Gearlab forum.  

Come join us... 😊

dB

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

It is a beautiful and expressive instrument. The "LAST" mode they've done for last note priority on aftertouch (for those of us without Polyphonic aftertouch) is just brilliant.  I was on the preset team for this one. Here is a track I made.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1
  • Love 3

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Nicely done, Mike. Its pleasantly Vangelis-y without being blatant, but as with workstations and "How's the piano?," the first question for many will be "How's the 'Blade Runner?'" Pretty good, obviously. I expected as much. I'm going to buy the HELL out of this one. :drool:

Now all I need is a free-standing, USB-equipped touch strip to wail on. :rocker:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I've also made a track using the GX-80s sounds and effects.  Some of the drums come from the GX-80 as well, but most of them are from my Alesis DM-Pro

Craig Anderton did the video for me.

This thing is insane. So much power and flexibility....and what a sound... 🤯

dB

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Early impression. I'm using the demo right now and in a couple of days when my SS Check arrives I plan to upgrade to SynthStack 3.:

This synth sits in a very different place for me. Normally when it comes to programing a synth I want to explore what happens when I crank the LFO into audible range, or see how hollow I can make the square wave sound. But when I look at the extensive amount of sliders here I feel no encouragement to program. Instead I want to lightly tweak while holding a chord. And when the sound is just right and I am holding a Cm, I want to lightly tap a 9th for a split second to see what that does to the mood. While other synths make me want to explore sounds, the GX-80 makes me want to explore chord structure and experiment with theory. It screams "build on me" and takes a place in the foundation of a song. I immediately wanted to attach my best Juno Chorus emulation and a pattern based echo, then launch into some space trance. I expect it will pair very nicely with Signs with the GX-80 being the foundation and Signs providing the little background flourishes. 

• Like 5

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Love that Evil Genius came back Dave. A great song. That sync lead sounds as authentically dB as ever. Hmmh, dare I mention Balthazar? Mike, I think you took us to the third Bladerunner movie, close enough to the other two that we could hear the family resemblance but still it's own very special thing. I'm digging your preset bank.

Downloading and loading this up was a snap. I was digging into the controls and then I noticed a preset called Baked Alaska? Could it be? Turns out it could. Instant Eddie Jobson. There is a search function. Within five minutes I had located Blade, then Layered Blade, then Fanfare Brass, Fanfare Comp. Dreaming of Sheep, Roy Batty's Revenge, Mr. V's lead  .... it's great stuff.

A note of caution. Fanfare Comp can cause some people to loop ELP's Peter Gunn and spend a half hour jamming with a silly grin on their face. I wouldn't know from personal experience. Just saying.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, zeronyne said:

Are there any a/b comparisons with the Arturia clone?

The comparisons I found on YouTube were not very good. Almost sounding like two different synths. From my own tests I prefer the filter on the Arturia. I also prefer some of the controls on the Arturia that are more computer structured rather than hardware emulated. But there are some things that the GX-80 can do that the Arturia version cannot not. Also, I prefer some of the more open brass and string sections on the GX-80. It's really like two different instruments. Don't know which sounds more like the original.

Instant buy for me….

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

7 hours ago, David Emm said:

Nicely done, Mike. Its pleasantly Vangelis-y without being blatant, but as with workstations and "How's the piano?," the first question for many will be "How's the 'Blade Runner?'" Pretty good, obviously. I expected as much. I'm going to buy the HELL out of this one. :drool:

Now all I need is a free-standing, USB-equipped touch strip to wail on. :rocker:

Thank you very much. Anyone that has heard my music over the years knows that I'm obsessed with all things Vangelis. I desperately try to make my music sound like me, but in this case I pushed things further than I normally would. It was absolutely my goal to try to pull off some of the trademark sounds but also try to explore other areas. The Dual & Split modes really open up some incredible options. 

7 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

Hey Mike, that is stunning.   I can't wait to break away from day job and get it installed!

Huge thanks. 

We have some things going on at home, my studio was completely disassembled after I completed my preset bank and I told the team at Cherry that I probably would not have time to do a song.  On Sunday night I was able to get part of my home studio working again and I wrote this in one sitting, that proves how inspiring this instrument was for me. 

• Like 6
  • Cool 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

10 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

The "LAST" mode they've done for last note priority on aftertouch (for those of us without Polyphonic aftertouch) is just brilliant.

The Arturia Origin (which was supposed to have a CS-80 emulation mode that never arrived) called this "duophonic afterouch," and it could be set to top note, bottom note, or last note priority. Nice to see another implementation of this!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

22 hours ago, Tusker said:

I was digging into the controls and then I noticed a preset called Baked Alaska? Could it be? Turns out it could. Instant Eddie Jobson. There is a search function. Within five minutes I had located Blade, then Layered Blade, then Fanfare Brass, Fanfare Comp. Dreaming of Sheep, Roy Batty's Revenge, Mr. V's lead  .... it's great stuff.

A note of caution. Fanfare Comp can cause some people to loop ELP's Peter Gunn and spend a half hour jamming with a silly grin on their face. I wouldn't know from personal experience. Just saying.

Mike Martin's preset, Mr. V's Lead is exquisite!  Thanks for posting this list.  With 1000 presets it's hard to track down these little gems.  I need to put in the "Vangelis" key word on some of them.

• Thanks 1
David

Upgraded to SynthStack 3 this morning and downloaded the new synths. I have to say, the more I play with the GX-80 the more I hate the interface. I'm sure it is great as a 4 feet control panel on top of a keyboard. Using it on a 13" Mac, well, it is just too crowded and busy. Glad it has a focus button. In addition, some of the controls are a bit cryptic in their naming. I really hate the short throw sliders to the right of the tone selector. I do really like a lot of the patches. I'm thinking this will mostly be a preset machine for me.

• Like 1

I grabbed it immediately afer hearing those great demos! I have a lot of their synths; by far, super accurate and insanely inexpensive prices! 

Can't wait to use this on a few upcoming tracks.

I grabbed it immediately afer hearing those great demos! I have a lot of their synths; by far, super accurate and insanely inexpensive prices! 

Can't wait to use this on a few upcoming tracks.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I want to play with the ring modulator :)

No brainer at half the price of a piano tuning on Long Island.

I wonder if they could incorporate, or create a GS1, which still isn't quite emulated by any FM engine yet.  Esp. when combined with the ensemble effect. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

5 hours ago, lsj said:

wondering how is the CPU usage for this plug-in

It’s actually variable.  The oversampling rate can be changed (using the little Q button in the top toolbar).

The manual sez:

“Internal processing can be set to 1x (same rate as the current sample rate for the host DAW, or in the settings -> Audio/MIDI window in standalone mode), or to 2x, 3x or 4x the current sample rate. The sample rate is downsampled at the instrument output stage to match the current host sample rate.  

For example, if the current DAW/instrument sample rate is 48 kHz and oversampling is set to 2x, GX-80’s internal processing runs at 96 kHz and is then reduced back to 48 kHz at the output stage.”

dB

Instant purchase. I haven't had much time with it yet, nor have I done direct comparisons with the same settings yet, but my initial impression is that this emulation is more three-dimensional and organic sounding than Arturia's. I'm not having any CPU issues yet at my end.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've been happily walking through the main GX presets. To my ear, the instrument has a certain "band-reject" element to its character. For example, certain woodwind-like or string patches seem too thin, with mixed results from tweaking. However, the resonant filters and ring mod give the various bells a lot of weight you rarely hear from analog synths. Woodwind sections seem a bit flaccid, but the solo winds, especially several hybrids, are superior. That seems flipped for strings. Solo brass is sometimes tweezy, but several sections sound ideal for Logic or Spitfire layering. First-impression things like that keep alternating.

The Yamaha home organ pedigree is self-evident. It made me recall the early circuit-bending Vangelis did on a couple of organs to get different tones and longer envelope-type releases. The GX-80 feels like their best home organ all Hulked out with full access to every parameter. 

I'll get to the manual, but first, I wanted to see how creative my fumbling might be. It'll take time due to a few of its Yama- quirks, but a lot of it is coming easily. I find the GUI welcoming after squinting at the ME80 for a long while now.        

It reminds me of seeing Bill Bruford and Patrick Moraz on the "Flags" tour, where Patrick was on a lone Kurzweil K250. Its one of those rare synths you can play two-fisted that still gives you the full orchestral monty.   

OK, back to preset review and trying not to spit mashed taters on the keyboard. 🦃:guinness:

• Like 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Nice tracks guys!

Both Mike and dB have always impressed in their exceptional sonic palette skills, and it shows here again!

So what did you guys use to program your sounds? Mouse and monitor, or controller cc mapped knobs and sliders? 

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

50 minutes ago, humannoyed said:

Nice tracks guys!

Both Mike and dB have always impressed in their exceptional sonic palette skills, and it shows here again!

So what did you guys use to program your sounds? Mouse and monitor, or controller cc mapped knobs and sliders? 

I agree with the complement, and I'd love to hear the answer to the question.  I'm thinking a "Programing the GX-80" video would be interesting.

David