Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Debut of the Red Shell tonight!

looking good. I see the blankets going in on the inside. i assume you’ve removed the others for our viewing benefit. :) 

I’ve been debating about going crew cab pickup for my regular haul.  I figure seats in the back for family and electronics.  stands and cases etc. can get relegated to the bed. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Ready for sound check.  
to keep the piano look as clean as possible, I dove into my Gibraltar spare parts and cobbled together a rolling laptop stand 

spacer.png

Making the cable access hole was probably my best idea 

spacer.png

The cockpit 

I use the iPad for my ear mix (using mixing station connected to the board Wi-Fi )

spacer.png

Sound check. Then a nap.  😎

• Like 6
  • Cool 1
  • Love 2

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

7 hours ago, Nathanael_I said:

Is there a post-gig report?  It looks fabulous, and i'm sure you had it fully dialed in for comfort, but would love to know how it translated.  How it felt to play from behind it, etc.  This is such a cool project!

Yes Dave. We want to know more. Looks great but did it meet your expectations. Did you get any feedback from crowd. Did you get any scratches on the finish. Etc.

• Like 1

Looks clean AF. So jealous of your rig/stand fabricating skills. The Headphone cord plugging in right above the lowest keys of the keyboard doesn't bother you?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Peeked at your setlist and noticed you have DSB after Faithfully. The last chord of Faithfully is the 1st chord of DSB....-do you guys do anything cool with that?

• Like 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

On 11/19/2022 at 9:40 PM, EscapeRocks said:

Ready for sound check.  
to keep the piano look as clean as possible, I dove into my Gibraltar spare parts and cobbled together a rolling laptop stand 

spacer.png

Making the cable access hole was probably my best idea 

spacer.png

The cockpit 

I use the iPad for my ear mix (using mixing station connected to the board Wi-Fi )

spacer.png

Sound check. Then a nap.  😎

there is nothing about this pic that isn't cool af.

• Like 3

As always, I am very much a big fan of your custom stand projects. This one is so cool! Great job!

I keep wanting to see a Jupiter 8 on top...have you thought about a Jupiter X for your top board? Probably overkill with the laptop rig, just would be so cool looking!!! :wave:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, eric said:

I keep wanting to see a Jupiter 8 on top...have you thought about a Jupiter X for your top board? Probably overkill with the laptop rig, just would be so cool looking!!! :wave:

Even a Jupiter-50 would look great up there, and those have come down in price a little more than the Jupiter-X

• Like 2

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Hey All!

I really appreciate all the kind words about my latest project here.

Let me start this off answering some of the questions I've been asked here:

1. there will be no Candelabra  :D
  2. Mic Boom Attachment:   I thought about it, but decided not to go that route One hole in the lid is enough
  3. Sit or stand legs.   Not going to happen
  4. Call button for server to bring me drinks?  Maybe, if I'm doing a Billy Joel set for the night
  5. Headphone cord from in ear mixer over the keys:  That was just for soundcheck.  When plugging in directly, I have a headphone extension cable with a right angle plug so the cable to my ears doesn't go over the keys.  If using my wireless ear set up, I right angle TRS cable goes from that to my wireless transmitter in the rack
  6. Faithfully to Don't Stop: By the end of Faithfully, the crowd is signing with us.  We end with just the kick drum beat and the crowd singing the "oh oh ohhhh oh" a couple measures.  Then the bass player and I launch right into DSB and pandemonium ensues  LOL
  7. I used to have serious GAS for both the Jupiter 50 and Jupiter 80, and of course the newer Jupiter X.  I have enough hardware keys as it is now, and my Fantom-08 and MODX6+ more than do the job when not using a computer only rig at a gig.

Okay, with that out of the way, gig report.

My band was blown away when they saw it.   The audience loved it, and I received a lot of compliments.

As far as using it:   The shell and legs were rock solid.  There was no shake/wiggle, and the shelves had absolutely no flex, despite my best efforts to pound the heck out of the piano.

I think the biggest factor that brought me joy was psychological.

Sitting behind it for the show felt like I was sitting behind a real piano (despite its dimensions).   Out of the close to a thousand show I've played with this band, I honestly felt the most connected and relaxed.  I really did feel I was sitting behind my Steinway at home.  As such, my playing Saturday night was right on.  I was having fun!

You all know I love my stands and stand projects, from my stand made out of a light truss, my rotating stand, my Gibraltar  concoctions, to this.  This one may have been the best investment I've made in the stand department.   It really difficult to explain how i was on a different level using the shell.

I won't be using it at every gig, as some of the smaller venues stages aren't really logistically solid.

So far I only have this fan taken pic from the show

spacer.png

Funny story about this picture:

The local Motley Crue tribute opened for us.

Right after sound check they asked me if I knew 'Home Sweet Home'.   It's been probably 20 years since I played it in a band, but sure, why not?  :)

I made sure I knew what key (natural or tuned down whatever). It was 1/2 step.  I ran on stage (there was 20 minutes for their downbeat), quickly created a new patch MS and added the pad/strings like the recording, and ran thru it once with my ears (monitors/FOH were not on)

Okay why not.  The worst that could happen is a Spinal Tap moment.  It was their 2nd to last song and they 'invited' me up

It was a blast.    They usually use a track for the piano part on this one song, but thought live keys would be cool (of course)

Here's a brief snippet recorded on an iPotato

• Like 7
  • Love 3

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: