Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard is starting to fail - need a new one! Advice please!

Bootsy

My Casio PX-5S has been a good workhorse for my weekend warrior life.  Unfortunately, it's starting to go.  Key sensors are failing resulting in loud notes, no sound and/or double notes.  Always at the worst time!  I tried blowing air into the problem keys with no luck.

Looking to replace the board with a new/used one and could use some advice.

- Use Mostly as a duo

- Sounds - I typically use the major patches programmed in the keyboard.  I don't create my own but do alter a little bit with eq.  I don't use a computer or virtual sound

- Need a strong piano, decent organ, electric piano, strings - nothing needs to be too fancy

- Keybed - used to the Casio but adjusting hasn't been a problem

- Needs to be lightweight

- I don't typically use splits and layering much anymore.  too much of a pain on the Px-5s

I've had a number of keyboards.  Loved the Korg SV-1 ease of use, sound and playability.  However, I got rid of it as it \was too heavy and piano sound was meh.  Had a Nord Electro at one point but it had too much going on and again, piano was meh

Any tidbits and advice would be great - This way I can investigate and try to find a place to try one or two out. Unfortunately, not many places have keyboards for trial.

Thanks for any help!

52 minutes ago, drawback said:

Yamaha YC73/88 would be an upgrade on every point.

Not as light a carry as the 5S.  Definitely not in the 88k.  

If you were happy with the 5S a 560 which I use for a light carry sounds about the same.  Interface is easier to get around. Splits and layers dead simple.  EQ and FX simple too with the touch screen.  PX360 also has the graphic interface and costs less.  

But I tell you what.  If you only need the basic sounds.   An ES110 or 120 will hold up a long time and the price is right.  27/28lbs, $899 new.  Plays very nice for its price point.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I agree with drawback, YC73 would be my first choice there. Not too much heavier than the PX5S, and better for piano, organ, EP, and strings. You lose the sound editability you don't care about anyway, and you could start using splits/layers again because they wouldn't be a pain anymore.

As for your Electro experience, which Electro did you have? Because that would also be a good choice. If your issue was lackluster pianos, if it was at least an Electro 3, they have made many new piano sample sets available for it over the years. I'd probably give Nord the edge over Yamaha for pianos, though Yamaha the edge over Nord for EPs. I think one advantage of the Yamaha here, though, is that I think the YC73 action probably beats the hammer action in the HP models of the Electro, esp. for the dual piano/organ use. New, the Yamaha is notably cheaper, too... even if you go for the non-hammer action, which wouldn't be among my favorite piano actions even among non-hammer action boards. OTOH, a used acceptable Nord is probably going to be easier to find than a well-priced used YC73.

You didn't mention budget, though. If you're looking for something lower priced, among new boards anyway, the lowest priced hammer action board that I think is generally a step up from the PX5s (again, for piano, organ, EP, and strings) is probably the Kurzweil SP6. If you're willing to look at a semi-weighted board as long as it is decent for piano playing, then the SP6-7 or the Vox Continental 73. The Vox is probably generally roughly equal or better than the Kurz for the sounds at hand, but is pricier (and won't restore your split/layer functionality, though it sounds like you might not miss that too much anyway).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just got a Numa X Piano 73 yesterday to replace a PX5S.  Wading my way through it...it's a very interesting board.  The architecture is radically different from anything I've had before so it's a learning curve.  Programs/sounds not nearly as editable as the PX5S, but the process to do so is much easier...which is what I was looking for.  TP110 on Numa is a different feel from PX5S but I think I will get used to it.  More AP variety in Numa...(of course modeled versus variation on I believe just one sample set in PX5S).  Rhodes-based EP's definitely a step up from PX5S....Wurly not so much.  Fewer ancillary samples in Numa than PX5S but generally of better quality...although generally not as good as Yamaha (I have a YC61 that I'll be pairing it with).  You can't really create the synth sounds you can the PX5S...no portamento for example and only an A/R amplitude envelope.  Based on your post, that doesn't seem to be something you used however so probably no loss there.  You may want to put it on your list to check out.  Good luck and enjoy the process!

2 hours ago, Bootsy said:

Casio PX-5S

2 hours ago, Bootsy said:

decent organ

Is the PX5S organ good enough for you? If so, that opens up many more possibilities.

If you're looking for an upgrade in the organ department, I support the recommendations for YC73 (better action than the HP Electros) or Kurzweil SP6 (or PC4 if you can stretch to the extra spend for 9 faders).

Cheers, Mike.

52 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Is the PX5S organ good enough for you? If so, that opens up many more possibilities.

Cheers, Mike.

The organ is fine and good enough for me.

I appreciate everyone's input so far. Budget is about $1K - $2K but would prefer the lower amount.  I've learned that I don't need the bells and whistles - just good sound and easy functionality.  And easy to carry!

1 hour ago, ewall08530 said:

I would take a long look at the Kurzweil SP6 -better pianos and organs than the Casio and about the same weight and cost.   I

The SP6 is a gem! But it's been replaced by the PC4SE. Very similar, but with a much larger sound set.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dave Weiser said:

The Kurz PC4SE is a strong contender, great on a price, weight and sounds. Same sound set as PC4, but with a simple UI and workflow more like a Nord.

I just perused SW’s site and saw that the PC4 price has dropped to just $300 more than the SE, and now the same price as the PC4-7. Check the compares.

Here for the gear.

Are the loud or double-trigger notes on the Casio centered around an A#(Bb)?  This is a commonly reported problem with the PX-5S. If that is the problem it is a fairly easy fix if you are willing to open up the keyboard.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

On 11/16/2022 at 6:09 PM, Bootsy said:

- Use Mostly as a duo

- Sounds - I typically use the major patches programmed in the keyboard.  I don't create my own but do alter a little bit with eq.  I don't use a computer or virtual sound

- Need a strong piano, decent organ, electric piano, strings - nothing needs to be too fancy

- Keybed - used to the Casio but adjusting hasn't been a problem

- Needs to be lightweight

- I don't typically use splits and layering much anymore.  too much of a pain on the Px-5s

On 11/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, Bootsy said:

Budget is about $1K - $2K but would prefer the lower amount.  I've learned that I don't need the bells and whistles - just good sound and easy functionality.  And easy to carry!

On 11/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, Bootsy said:

The [PX5s]organ is fine and good enough for me.

Frankly, these requirements are fairly straightforward to fulfill with a modest stage digital piano. I would be looking at the modern Casio range, Kawai ES, and my pick: Yamaha P125 - or specifically the 73-key P121 (the greatest keyboard ever to be let down by a lack of 5-pin MIDI, but that doesn't seem to be a requirement for you). Higher-up-the-market board with better actions tend to come with higher weight and cost - both of which are considerations for you.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dave Weiser said:

The Kurz PC4SE is a strong contender, great on a price, weight and sounds. Same sound set as PC4, but with a simple UI and workflow more like a Nord.

Dave, really wish Kurzweil would come out with a 73 key weighted action version of the new SP7 like Nord has with the Piano 5, Yamaha with the CP & YC and Numa with the Piano X.  I am somewhat luke warm on the Numa but will probably keep it as it is a solid controller for the YC 61 piano sounds, and it has sounds that are good for enough back-up or filling in a few gaps in multi-part songs.  I'm guessing the SP7 has a substantially superior sound set compared to it though.  Interesting that you consider the PC4 SE as the SP6 replacement and not the SP7.

21 hours ago, counterpoint said:

Dave, really wish Kurzweil would come out with a 73 key weighted action version of the new SP7 like Nord has with the Piano 5, Yamaha with the CP & YC and Numa with the Piano X.  I am somewhat luke warm on the Numa but will probably keep it as it is a solid controller for the YC 61 piano sounds, and it has sounds that are good for enough back-up or filling in a few gaps in multi-part songs.  I'm guessing the SP7 has a substantially superior sound set compared to it though.  Interesting that you consider the PC4 SE as the SP6 replacement and not the SP7.

The SP7 is built on an entirely different platform than the K27, Forte, PC4, etc. It was developed by a separate team in China and Korea, not Boston R&D. No VAST, no ability to import sounds from other Kurz models. It does have some neat features, but there's not much under the hood for sound designers like myself to work with. The PC4SE sound set is far superior.

• Like 1

Thank you all for  your help.  It was insightful and the advice you gave led me to purchase a Kurzweil SP6-7.  While I couldn't physically try it out, from what I read, saw on videos and the user manual it seems to check all of the boxes and then some.  And weighs under 20 lbs!

Thank you all for your input - also Thanks @Dave Weiser  You helped me out with the Casio PX-5s back in the day which is why I took your input into serious consideration.

The SP6-7 arrives Monday - can't way to discover more with it. Hope to have it operational for our next gig in early December.

If anyone can suggest forums specific to the Kurzweil SP6-7, please let me know.

Thanks again!

20 hours ago, Bootsy said:

Thank you all for  your help.  It was insightful and the advice you gave led me to purchase a Kurzweil SP6-7.  While I couldn't physically try it out, from what I read, saw on videos and the user manual it seems to check all of the boxes and then some.  And weighs under 20 lbs!

Thank you all for your input - also Thanks @Dave Weiser  You helped me out with the Casio PX-5s back in the day which is why I took your input into serious consideration.

The SP6-7 arrives Monday - can't way to discover more with it. Hope to have it operational for our next gig in early December.

If anyone can suggest forums specific to the Kurzweil SP6-7, please let me know.

Thanks again!

I’m certain it will sound great and cover whatever you need and then some.  You’ll have to get back to us on how you enjoy the semiweight synth action they are using on this model compared to your 5S (it’s the same one they are using on the PC4-7). For piano and other timbres. 👍

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 11/19/2022 at 5:52 PM, Bootsy said:

Thanks again!

Happy to help!

Feel free to shoot me an email and I'll send you my custom SP6 sound set. Includes my Gig Piano, more/better EPs, basses optimized for splits,  and some virtual analog. weiserdav@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Had the board about a week and half.  First show will be next week.  Love it so far!  Great sounds, easy to use, and it's so light!  Seems to be everything I was looking for.

The keybed is bouncy!  Took a little bit to adjust for me but now, no problems at all

Thanks again for everyone's help!

• Like 1

Bootsy, As someone else mentioned, you probably have a problem with the PX5s that is (somewhat) easily fixable.  That’ll give you a backup board or perhaps for the first time a second board to play with, esp since you’re used to a weighted board.  Typically with 2 boards you’ve got the weighted on the bottom and the semi-weighted keys on top for organ/synth/etc.

Now that you’ve got another board that gives you the safety net to take it apart.  I’ve taken about 4 keyboards apart for various reasons like you mentioned as well as broken keys.  It’s not that big of a deal if you prepare with You Tube videos.  It’s usually a case of dust or something getting into the the little rubber sensors, a slam dunk to clean out/fix once the case is off.

Good luck, and hopefully we’ll hear a blog type review from you on what the SP6-7 is like, esp compared to your PX5S!  17 lbs! That makes even the PX5s seem heavy!  By the way, I see the PC4 Kurzweil is on sale now for $2k, price marked down $500.  It weighs about the same as the PX5s, has a weighted action, and looks amazing.  

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB