Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight Workstation type board for sessions

Hey fellow forumites,

I'm on the lookout for a lightweight 61 key workstation that I can use for some upcoming sessions that I have that I may have to travel via public transport to get to the studio.  I don't want to spend a ton of money, especially since I'm not sure how much I will use this board after these sessions, so I'm looking for something that can be had for under $650 US (used or new), has at least 8 zones in performance/combination mode, and won't break my back in a backpack case or break from being jostled around.
Thanks in advance for any advice

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Have you considered secondhand? If you're not sure how much you'll need the board in the future, you could sell it on for minimal loss.

Alesis QS6 (6.1, 6.2) or Ensoniq SQ1/SQ1+ spring to mind - I've owned and loved both. Plenty more to choose from that I can't comment on!

Cheers, Mike.

I have the casio vts-1000v (same as cts-500 but without the toy talking vocoder thingy). weighs 10lbs! Fits in a $30 soft amazon padded gun case along with all kindsa cables and junk. Love it. Paired with an ipad and Camelot Pro it is crazy good for crazy cheap. (i got an open box one for 300 bucks). Will run on batteries and has built in speakers. I don't know how many zones it does as i don't use them, but it seems pretty capable...

• Like 1

I don't mind buying something secondhand, but I am trying to be conscious about weight, because I am going to have to transport whatever I buy via public transit.

Right now, the boards I am most looking into are the Roland Juno DS61 and Korg Kross 61, mainly leaning towards the Kross as I like Korg's interfaces and soundsets.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

1 hour ago, GotKeys said:

mainly leaning towards the Kross as I like Korg's interfaces and soundsets.

My first thought as its crazylight weight with full zoning.

Kross 2 61 Weight  8.38 lb / 3.80 kg (excluding batteries) how cool is that. The Kross 1 may be slightly heavier but only a tadd say 4kg but the juno is way heavier at 11.7 lbs (5.3 kg) and longer with Roland sticking to that silly notion of loving left hand stick real estate..bah

Im always looking at the lightest boards and although i havent got one this one has me intrigued with what i have read about it. Its far from perfect but a powerhouse for its weight

As your criteria puts weight as top needed thing Id definately look at one of these first as your base to compare with others

Smaller and lighter means smaller and lighter backpack too. 

Edit: all above weights are taken from google but i have tried to take from manufacturers site please double check for your own determination

First thought was the Kross, or maybe a used M50, or dare I say a Karma (paid around $450 for mine).  I also second the Alesis QS boards.  Lightweight with good onboard sounds, and those can be had for not a lot of money.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

With the update to the MoDX to a "plus" model, I'm sure there are some 1st gen starting to drop in price. It's the lightest keyboard I have ever owned, and I have the 76 note version. The OS is designed for live applications. You might like it!

"For instance" is not proof.

2 hours ago, justin_havu said:

I also second the Alesis QS boards.  Lightweight with good onboard sounds, and those can be had for not a lot of money.

I agree on that as i have one and love it but its still 8kg and my quest for lighter than that pushes me towards a Kross to replace my QS. 

But i have no direct need to get a Kross as Im not band gigging presently (other than piano solo where piano is supplied). But if that changed Id replace the QS simply on weight alone. (My health dicky lungs  dictates the ligtest possible gear and at half the weight id choose it even with some of its limitations)

The QS is a beaut. You can easily access sounds and zoned multis. Unlike the Kross.

The other thing id put against the Kross is sounds cut out when you change them although perhaps if you built a multi zoned sound you could possibly switch between zones??

The keyboard apparently isnt a great feel where the QS is a good feel for a synth type board.

On features alone for what you want the QS is a hit. But its still not lightweight for carrying in a bus and id bet its 8kg a struugle on your back although luckily its about same size as a Kross. Its built to last compared to a Kross

• Like 2