Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good, solid, cheap, 2x2 usb midi interface?

I have an ancient midiman midisport 2x2 (the little yellow square). For the most part it has been rock solid for years (decades?).  Had some issues recently ( it freaked out recording some SK1  organ glisses), wondering if there's anything better (but still cheap)?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tech is so good now that any interface you get (new at least) will be excellent. Do a search on someplace like Guitar Center or Sweetwater. I'm a fan of the MOTU M2, but Focusrite, Behringer, Steinberg, all should serve you very well. No need to spend more.

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

Tech is so good now that any interface you get (new at least) will be excellent. Do a search on someplace like Guitar Center or Sweetwater. I'm a fan of the MOTU M2, but Focusrite, Behringer, Steinberg, all should serve you very well. No need to spend more.

midi interface. not audio and midi interface.

18 hours ago, bill5 said:

36 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

anybody?

🤔

Here for the gear.

2 hours ago, drawback said:

🤔

once again, a MOTU M2 is NOT a 2x2 usb MIDI interface. it is an AUDIO interface that also happens to have 1 single MIDI in. Nor are any of the Steinberg and Focusrite offerings that i am familar with.

I already run 2 MOTU 16A's plus a MOTU 8A. That's 40 channels of audio in via thunderbolt.  To be crystal clear, i am looking for a good, solid, cheap, 2x2 USB MIDI interface with NO audio. For those who do not seem to know what a 2x2 MIDI interface is, the ancient one i have looks like this:

spacer.png

4 hours ago, bill5 said:

I'm curious, any reason you can't use an "audio and MIDI interface" as it has what you need in the MIDI? What do you need that they don't have?

what i need is so clearly written in the thread title, yet, sadly it seems basic reading comprehension is a lost art. 

-i need midi into the computer. that's the "midi interface" part of the equation. 

-i need a "USB MIDI" interface. one that converts 5 pin din midi to USB. The USB is HOW the MIDI it gets into the computer.

-i need a "2X2" midi interface. that means 2 separate 5 pin midi connections IN, and 2 separate midi streams via USB into the computer, as well as 2 separate 5 pin midi connections OUT, and 2 separate midi streams out via USB from the computer.  i.e. "2X2"   see pic of yellow box upthread.

5 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Just ran across this - a demo unit, pretty good price (though the shipping seems a little excessive):

https://reverb.com/item/62599357-midiplus-tbox-2x2-2-in-2-out-usb-midi-interface

yeah i have this one and one that drawback mentioned in my amazon cart. price is certainly good! was hoping for real world experience.  i.e. not sure if they are any better than what i have now.  the CME one looks interesting , though might be overkill.

8 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

what i need is so clearly written in the thread title, yet, sadly it seems basic reading comprehension is a lost art. 

so based on this logic, have you read my post above and called any experts?  

:nopity:

If you don’t need it tomorrow, https://www.cme-pro.com/product/u6midi-pro/ . (It’s a preorder, but I think it is shipping very soon. 3x3, but at the price point that shouldn’t be a problem.) In general, CME makes good stuff.

iConnectivity mioXM is great but more ports and more money. You could run a pair of their plain mio adapters.

There are a zillion other products, but those are the two companies I’ve used. Dedicated USB to MIDI is less of a thing than it used to be as it’s often on a combo device and new MIDI instruments/controllers usually have USB MIDI built in.

-Z-

Just went through this myself after my old Roland 2x2 completely died.

Pure MIDI 2x2s with USB are thin on the ground. One option is the Nektar Midiflex4.

I had to settle for a Roland UM-ONE cuz I needed something right darned now. Manufacturers seem to have abandoned pure MIDI interfaces without built-in cables or with 2x2 5-pin.

It stinks — I know — pj

12 minutes ago, pjd said:

Just went through this myself after my old Roland 2x2 completely died.

Pure MIDI 2x2s with USB are thin on the ground. One option is the Nektar Midiflex4.

I had to settle for a Roland UM-ONE cuz I needed something right darned now. Manufacturers seem to have abandoned pure MIDI interfaces without built-in cables or with 2x2 5-pin.

It stinks — I know — pj

thanks for the info.

19 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

So are manners, apparently. But thanks for being a d#ck about it.

The funny part is I found multiple answers with just a little internet searching. 

42 minutes ago, bill5 said:

So are manners, apparently. But thanks for being a d#ck about it.

The funny part is I found multiple answers with just a little internet searching. 

did you share those "answers" in this thread as PJD, Zalman Stern and others here graciously have? "answers" backed with your own personal, real world gigging/recording experience of using said "answers?"  other than the "funny part" of mistaking an audio interface for a dedicated USB midi interface, it would seem the answer is no.   

How about Miditech MIDIface 2x2?

Ah! I see it was already recommended by Baggypants.

I use a MOTU micro lite but I suppose that's overkill for you?

I went for the extra ports just in case I needed them in the future, and the reputation for solidity that MOTU has.

I'm not disappointed.