Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anything new from Nord?

Sunlight2

It's funny, but action is almost always only a value-subtract for me. Meaning, as long as the action on a board doesn't fight me or sabotage me, I can get used to most anything. When I really notice it is when it's made of 1) suck, or 2) magic.

RD2000: magic. Nord Grand: magic cooked in butter sauce. My FA-6: borderline suck. NS3C: in the goldilocks zone; It's not perfect at anything but doesn't suck, so it's fine with me. (I felt the same about the Stage 2 when I had one.)

I own a grand piano with action that feels like it was scientifically engineered for my preferences. I'm fine having that be where I get my fix, when I need it. 

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

5 hours ago, analogika said:

That would mean a complete re-engineering of the entire architecture to a Kronos-like system where the OS runs on a CPU and loads samples from storage into RAM when a patch is selected. 

The way it works now is that the NOR Flash storage is fast enough that samples do not need to be loaded, but are just read live from storage — everything is always instantly available. 

The downside is that NOR Flash is about 100€ per Gigabyte — FOR PARTS. viz: https://eu.mouser.com/c/semiconductors/memory-ics/nor-flash/?m=Infineon&memory size=2 Gbit&mounting style=SMD%2FSMT&package %2F case=FBGA-64

Doing 100 GB of that would be somewhere around 10,000€ just in chips per machine. Probably less when purchased directly from the manufacturer, of course, but that's the ballpark for what you're asking. 

yes, of course a redesign and new architecture would be required.  my naut has 60gb ssd and loads piano sounds instantly, or presumably streams them, but for me it doesn't matter, they are instantly available. my integra had a sd card soldered to the motherboard.  both worked fine.  no reason not to change to modern, fast, inexpensive and readily available storage media. i bet they are already working on it, the current design does not scale and is not sustainable.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

On 11/3/2022 at 8:20 PM, Nathanael_I said:

Someone mentioned a Stage with the Kawaii action. That would be very interesting!  I’d be surprised though. I don’t like the Fatar actions they favor. My Nord Grand, though?  Love the Kawaii action. 

this made me smile. "Kawaii" is Japanese for "cute" — as in, anime-character or baby animal "cute". 

The company is "Kawai" — one "i". 🙂 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

PREDICTION

There will be a Nord Stage 3 AE (Anniversary Edition) in 2023.

The specs will stay exactly the same as in the 2017 model. However, the white keys will be black, and, hold on to your seats, the black keys will be RED.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

22 hours ago, Morizzle said:

the white keys will be black, and, hold on to your seats, the black keys will be RED.

You're probably more correct thank you think - and the Nord fanbois will go wild over it. (I speak as a double-Norder, but 2 and 4 generations out of date with my Stage 2 and Classic. Nothing particularly makes me want to upgrade yet).

Cheers, Mike.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:15 PM, analogika said:

this made me smile. "Kawaii" is Japanese for "cute" — as in, anime-character or baby animal "cute". 

The company is "Kawai" — one "i". 🙂 

I've been unhappy with my Nord Grand ever since I realized they removed the setoff (escapement) from the Kawai keyed. I would not have bought it had I known this at the time.