Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stereo output questions

bill bosco

i have an effects unit that will take either TRS or TS for both input and output . it's only single channel though . can a typical stereo signal be y'd into a TRS 

for the input and then y'd back to stereo output again ? i figure the input and output must be TRS for reason . of course , it may only be to handle a balanced

signal .

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a thing guitar amp companies did/do  to save back panel space.   So a single TRS connector that goes into the amp back panel that went out to a Y-cable of In and Out TS connectors.   It was a convenience for some and a PIA  for others all depends on layout of pedals.  Only one amp I ever had, had that type of effects In/Out jack. 

The fact that you describe it as single channel and one input leads me to believe that the TRS' purpose is to send/receive balanced signals (vs. unbalanced) and not stereo related.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Single channel is single channel. I don't know what would happen if you split a stereo signal and ran it into the TRS of a balanced mono input. It probably wouldn't break anything except maybe your speakers if you get some kind of loud squeal. Try it and let us know.

One thing I can tell you is you won't get stereo out of a single channel fx unit. 

FunMachine.

Is there a name on the unit so you could find a manual for it?

• Like 1

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.