Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pitch bend and mod: wheels or joystick?

bill5

Well?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Wheels
    • Joystick
    • No strong preference either way

Ok, I'm becoming a "Roland paddler"

:)  

I just got a Fantom and it has both.  Paddle is great for some things, wheel I like better for things like cutoff frequency.

Now, I haven't yet seen if I can assign different things to each of these, so far they seem to mirror each other.  Babe in the woods at this point!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Yep lovely. Just pulled mine out of longtime storage and still works a treat. 

Wish I still had mine - gone in a house fire.

Still have any factory sounds in yours? Is there one called "Imperial Sweep"? That's mine – #1 in the User 1 sound bank that was pre-programmed in the keyboard (I presume that being in a "user" bank it could be overwritten). The Technics (Panasonic) folks wanted "big"-sounding patches. IMO those were great for demos, not much for working in a piece of music! I was also asked to sequence a few songs for them, but don't know if any of them were on the factory disks. They wanted me to program parameter changes that would flash the lights on the "realtime creator" buttons during the song! I have to say those buttons along with the creator ball made for some very flexible sound editing possibilities - six buttons that each stored separate parameters assigned to the x/y axes of the ball, instantly selectable, with all buttons' data stored in the sound preset if I remember right.

Too bad the D-A was on the weak side (I think it had a fairly low sample rate so not much top end). Bythe time of our fire I was only using this synth very occasionally for a single sound I could find on no other keyboard - a bell tree!

Has there been a commercially available keyboard with more real-time control than this? I don't know of one.

3 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Still have any factory sounds in yours? Is there one called "Imperial Sweep"? That's mine – #1 in the User 1 sound bank that was pre-programmed in the keyboard (I presume that being in a "user" bank it could be overwritten).

When I get a chance ill check. Im one whom loves oddball synths that didnt quite make it in the real world.

Such as my WSA-1, my Viscount Oberheim OB12, my K5000S, K5000W, K5000R etc. I find the home keyboard manufacturers had a different and intetesting take on synths but never marketed them properly.

I've always been more of a wheel guy, very happy with the wheels, on my PC3 76, Prologue, and Opsix, wouldn't want it any other way. Never was a big fan of the flimsy Roland stick and I've broken a bunch of those in my life too in various situations...

Not using the little sticks on my SL73 a lot as I mostly play Piano et al on it, but I am kind of curious why they didn't slap a couple of wheels onto it instead.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On 8/12/2024 at 5:32 AM, Reezekeys said:

Still have any factory sounds in yours? Is there one called "Imperial Sweep"? That's mine – #1 in the User 1 sound bank that was pre-programmed in the keyboard (I presume that being in a "user" bank it could be overwritten).

Yep still in there just playing it now. Very imperial and sweeping.