Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Outdoor gig, setting up on a slope.

Baldwin Funster

Believe me, I don't want to do it. But the rest of the band is convinced we need it to get established and If i veto, thats probly the end of 3 months worth of startup.

I'm talking about playing in front of a community center in a local park. The issue is that the stage area is asphalt in front of the community center and it's about a 2 degree slope, maybe 3.

So I have my choice.

1 .Keyboard leans left facing audience.

2. Keyboard leans foreward (with a side angle to the audience).

3. Keyboard leans back. (same as above).

Have you played on a slope like that?

FunMachine.

I ran into that earlier this year, arrived at an outdoor gig that was supposes to have a level platform for us, and they had a platform, but it was not level. I turned 90 degrees, because I quickly realized, it was better for me to play completely angled than it was to be playing higher on my right and lower on my left. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can you construct a shim of sorts, to even out the footprint of your setup? I did a sloped gig at a theater a few years back (significantly more than 2-3 degrees) and the guy who hired me actually built a custom wooden stage that counteracted the slope - about a 5x7 foot footprint, sort of a wedge shape. It was great.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Best of luck.  I would feel uncomfortable all night long if asked to set up on a tilt.  What is the drummer doing?

In my gigging life, I was often asked to set up where the ground was uneven, or bumpy, or tilted or wet.  I simply tell the band "I can't set up there.  It has to be level (and dry and smooth)".  For some reason the band always understood that the drummer needed a level and smooth place to set their drums, yet it took a certain amount of work to get the band to understand the keyboards had the very same requirement. 

So I would insist: "I can't set up there".  And I ask those whose instruments are not set up on the ground (guitarist, bassist, singer, horn players) to cede any level ground to the guys whose instruments are set up on the ground (drums and keys).

And now you know what questions to ask the next time you are invited to gig with that band (or  any band).  And now you also know to avoid doing gigs with bands that cannot (or will not) accommodate your specific and very real needs.

This  (MMM's post above). Bring a cheap level (or eyeball it) to understand how many inches are required to level your stand and build something that you can put under one side of the stand to level yourself. Also keep in mind that you will have a sitting/standing issue as well and i'm not sure how you remedy that other than building something that levels both you and the keyboard stand at the same time. Almost like building yourself a leveled mini keyboard riser.  Sounds like more work than I would take on.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

5 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Can you construct a shim of sorts, to even out the footprint of your setup? I did a sloped gig at a theater a few years back (significantly more than 2-3 degrees) and the guy who hired me actually built a custom wooden stage that counteracted the slope - about a 5x7 foot footprint, sort of a wedge shape. It was great.

6 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

This  (MMM's post above). Bring a cheap level (or eyeball it) to understand how many inches are required to level your stand and build something that you can put under one side of the stand to level yourself. Also keep in mind that you will have a sitting/standing issue as well and i'm not sure how you remedy that other than building something that levels both you and the keyboard stand at the same time. Almost like building yourself a leveled mini keyboard riser.  Sounds like more work than I would take on.

Yup. I saw "shim" and thought, ok, that would take care of the keyboards, but what about where you're sitting/standing? A 5x7 custom stage, sure, but just shimming the keyboards won't do. Heck, righting the keyboards and NOT what you're sitting/standing on would probably make it even worse! (At least if we're talking about a left-right difference.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I called the drummer first thing after I surveyed the site hoping he'd be on my side. No, he wants to play the thing. I'm sure he's going to regret it.

I'm going to have a ton of gear to set up and I have no helping crew, setting up a leveling system is more than I got time or patience to do.

I think I've decided I'd rather lean foreward rather than the other 2 choices. OR we can bring carpet and set up in the grass where there might be a more level spot.

I got a few weeks to sort it out, it seems the bass player is out of town the weekend we were scheduled and our date got pushed back.

FunMachine.

I've lived on a sloping driveway for 30+ years, and do a LOT of carpentry and hobby work outdoors. Don't overthink this.  I have a small bucket filled with "leveling blocks" which are basically scraps of 2x4 and some 1x lumber cut into about 3" square pieces.  Place one or two under the feet of your stand, etc., on the "downhill" side, and you can get things pretty close to level. Having a mix of 2x and 1x squares helps get things pretty darn close to level with minimal fuss.  If you don't own a chop saw to make the blocks yourself, go to your local Home Depot or lumberyard and have them chop an 8' 2x4 and 8' piece of 1x4 into 3" squares and you'll have a lifetime supply of leveling blocks. 🙂

Lou

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

What's your stand? Does it have independent height adjustment for L and R?

Cheers, Mike.

Yeah I do have a flat stand with 4 independent adjustable legs. It's possible that with the coarse settings and screw out feet I can reduce the problem.

• Like 2

FunMachine.

I've been able to handle this well enough with my Quik-Lok WS stand with each leg adjustable in increments.  Some stands use a screw instead of a click-in and so let you adjust even between increments.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

33 minutes ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

I called the drummer first thing after I surveyed the site hoping he'd be on my side. No, he wants to play the thing. I'm sure he's going to regret it.

14 minutes ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Yeah I do have a flat stand with 4 independent adjustable legs. It's possible that with the coarse settings and screw out feet I can reduce the problem.

If you can find a way to adjust the slope of your keyboard stand AND what you're sitting/standing on, that should work, allowing you to relax and enjoy the schadenfreude while you watch the drummer curse out having to play on an angle. ;-)

If the place is sufficiently local and generally open to the public, maybe you can bring your stand, lightest keyboard, and whatever you'll be sitting/standing on to the site well in advance to test/configure, so you can assure yourself that you'll have come up with something that will work.

16 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

So I have my choice.

3. Keyboard leans back toward you. That way you're in complete control when things start shifting as you play. And that's the problem with shims. The vibrations of playing make temporary fixes like this unstable, allowing gravity to eventually do it's thing. 

A quick outdoor one-off on a 2 degree slope? I'd probably just set up normally and do it, but I haven't looked over the site like you. Maybe I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yup. I saw "shim" and thought, ok, that would take care of the keyboards, but what about where you're sitting/standing? A 5x7 custom stage, sure, but just shimming the keyboards won't do. Heck, righting the keyboards and NOT what you're sitting/standing on would probably make it even worse! (At least if we're talking about a left-right difference.)

To be clear, I was talking about building a riser or platform of sorts that would cover where you’re sitting/standing as well as your keys rig. I wouldn’t expect just a keys shim to work well.

If we’re only talking about a 2-3° angle, it might not be as big of a project as the custom stage I had, which was for more of a 15° incline.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Im assuming a sling-on keyboard  (keytar to the whipper snappers) just for odd gigs like this one is out of the question. 

If you are used to one it may be a solution just for one gig. It may limit your playing but the gig may be difficult for you on a stand anyway.

34 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Im assuming a sling-on keyboard  (keytar to the whipper snappers) just for odd gigs like this one is out of the question. 

If you are used to one it may be a solution just for one gig. It may limit your playing but the gig may be difficult for you on a stand anyway.

As much as I'd like to channel my inner Rick Wakeman, I don't have the shoulder axe abilities to pull that off. 

FunMachine.

I won't do it any longer. I have two non-negotiable requirements. I must be under a cover, rain or shine, and I must be on a level wood or cement surface - no bare ground or grass. Everything else I can make work, even if I have to bring 100 feet of extension cords.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

8 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

I won't do it any longer. I have two non-negotiable requirements. I must be under a cover, rain or shine, and I must be on a level wood or cement surface - no bare ground or grass. Everything else I can make work, even if I have to bring 100 feet of extension cords.

This gig will by my excuse to make those rules. I already don't do extreme temps, direct sun, rain, or outdoors unless it's a nice spring or fall evening.

BTW I set up my ks7150 platform stand and offset the legs and it looks like I can get level or close. A 2x4 under one side of my bench seat and I think a can suffer through the situation. 

• Like 4

FunMachine.

20 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

I'm talking about playing in front of a community center in a local park. The issue is that the stage area is asphalt in front of the community center and it's about a 2 degree slope, maybe 3.

2 or 3 degree just have a few beer before the gig and you won't notice anything. 

First gig I played was city 4th of July at foot of a pier on the little grassy area with a some a palm tree.   It was so unlevel I had to hunt down a piece of rope to tie my amp to the palm tree so it would fall over.    Our drummer kit was tilted all sorts of ways, but we played people enjoyed it and had a good memory to talk about.    Since you know about it you have time to come up with something to shim your gear, drink beer and enjoy the gig. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

To be clear, I was talking about building a riser or platform of sorts that would cover where you’re sitting/standing as well as your keys rig. I wouldn’t expect just a keys shim to work well.

Yes, I got it... to me shim means something that's just a few inches, but then when you went on to talk about something 5x7 I knew you were talking about more of a riser.

11 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Isn't this the whole solution? It's the exact reason a stand would have independently adjustable legs, no? What am I missing?

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that everyone's fixing the foot end of the stand. Weird enough I never gave that end a single thought. I'd just bring something--anything, practically--to put between the keyboard and the stand on the lower side. If you have any rubber drawer liner, you can bring a roll and keep unrolling until whatever is left is the size of the height-differential.

This does not address the throne problem. I'd probably just set up with the facing "downhill" and deal with it, but for extra kicks you could always play this gig on one of those big yoga core-balls.

• Haha 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

2 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

that made me laugh

5 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

....but for extra kicks you could always play this gig on one of those big yoga core-balls.

Sitting on a big ball on a hill. Seems like that could lead to trouble. 

The laughs will be watching the drummer play at a major tilt. He's a little shakey anyways, this will obliterate him.

FunMachine.

11 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

for extra kicks you could always play this gig on one of those big yoga core-balls.

"And that's an example how to exploit the fact that the group of symmetries of the 3-sphere is SO(3). Next week, geometry on the projective plane"

Cheers, Mike.

• Haha 2

On 9/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, Jr. Deluxe said:

Believe me, I don't want to do it. But the rest of the band is convinced we need it to get established and If i veto, thats probly the end of 3 months worth of startup.

So I have my choice.

Have you played on a slope like that?

I have played on sloped stages three times.  These were indoors, very old theatres.

I play standing and for these gigs I was facing across the stage, with my right leg lower than my left.

Wasn’t a huge drama, however I was decidedly sore in the hips afterward.  Not something I’d want to do regularly.

Update.

Our rep talked to someone in the organization and they moved the concert site around the corner to a level parking lot. So it's a win for diplomacy. The downside is that I don't think there is any grass for folks to sit on there. Maybe they will tailgate.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Update.

Our rep talked to someone in the organization and they moved the concert site around the corner to a level parking lot. So it's a win for diplomacy. The downside is that I don't think there is any grass for folks to sit on there. Maybe they will tailgate.

Or bring their own folding chairs, not an uncommon thing. 

Congrats on this being moved to a more acceptable location! That will always be the best solution. 

Time to make band rules, before you get booked again. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Update.

Our rep talked to someone in the organization and they moved the concert site around the corner to a level parking lot. So it's a win for diplomacy.

Yee haa thats great. 

And i like Mathofinsects idea about the yoga ball.

Maybe yoga balls for everyone including the audience