Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's time to pack it in when............

1 - Your calendar has more doctor appointments than gigs.

2 - You need a nap after unfolding your Rock 'N Roller handtruck.

3 - You can't hold the "Start" switch long enough to engage "Run".

4 - You use Fast Leslie for a fan instead of sound.

5 - You need a big screen TV to see charts in iReal Book.

6 - You keep looking for the "Play" switch on a human drummer.

7 - Your Reface YC is the only organ you can carry.

8 - You've forgotten how to unfold your X-Stand.

9 - You need to ask directions back to the bandstand from the bathroom.

10 - You play the wrong "B" section in every "ABA" tune.

Feel free to add your own. After 6 decades of gigging these are the ones I can remember......

Jake

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

"Hey, as the keys player in our band, you'll be expected to supply the click for all our tracks."   Gone.

"Guys, sorry I'm late to practice...I didn't get around to learning all of those songs you mentioned but what about this Van Halen tune"  *proceeds to wank away*

"We work really hard on getting everything exactly like the record right down to the exact patches."   Nope.

Most of my "hang it up" conditions revolve around things like the second one, I have zero patience for people with no sense of commitment (even in a weekend warrior band).  I could conceivably be in a band that runs tracks, but it would have to be for heavily sequence-y things only in a very synth-heavy context (where I'm still playing my butt off).

Oh yeah, forgot one.  

"........" where you can't hear what was said at practice because the Marshall stack is blaring and the drummer is doing an Animal impersonation.  My loud band days are already over and I'm still playing.

• Like 1

You need three bathroom breaks during a set.

Groupies laugh at you.

You start envying the harmonica player.

Smoking a joint during breaks puts you into a coma.

There is no light on your side of the stage.

You wonder which fingers will work tonight.

You get crazy by ordering a double shot of Metamucil.

Your hemorrhoids start requesting songs. 
Instead of weddings you are booked for funerals.

‘The audience has no idea what songs your band is playing.

and…

At the end of the gig you load your equipment into the guitar player’s car because you think it’s yours.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 6

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Related... I was just telling a bandmate that the problem is that we're getting older, but the people who are hiring us aren't. (She was bemoaning having to sing so many 21st century songs she doesn't like.)

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

21 hours ago, HammondDave said:

At the end of the gig you load your equipment into the guitar player’s car because you think it’s yours.

You drive away to his house and his Mrs and....She´s OK with it = Happy ending! 

• Confused 1

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

The hot 30-something woman who was making eyes at you during the gig approaches you after and says "I'd like to give you super sex!" and you reply "let me think about that . . . what kind of soup?"

OK, I'll admit that's an adaptation of a corny old joke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The bandleader says he's inviting a fourth guitar player to join the oldies group because he sings a killer version of Gordon Lightfoot's "Carefree Highway".

Don't ask me how I know this.  🤮

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 2

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

43 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I wouldn't be there to hear that as I would have left after the 2nd one was added.

I'm sure some bands make all those guitarists work (Snarky Puppy does!) but not any of the ones I've been in....

When you're adding that many guitarists, you audition them on how well they DON'T play.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1