Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Poor Man's MPC Key 61 (Concept)

Of course y'all know I don't mean literally poor...

It's just a catch phrase.

But definitely a lesser expensive extremely similar workflow alternative. 

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

The MPC Key 61 is primarily aimed at those who for many years had that alternative setup of an MPC plus a ROMpler/workstation KB and other pieces. 

The MPC workflow when it comes to music production is legendary.  IMO, very few KB workstations and hardware sequencers can match the efficiency of an MPC when it comes to banging out a track.

Now, a music producer or a musician can travel with ONE KB filled with sounds, samples, sequences and whole songs on the MPC Key 61.   

Even cooler is being able to travel from DC to LA with a thumb drive filled with MPC data.  Pop that thumb drive into a rented MPC key 61 and get back to work or a gig. 

The MPC Key 61 consolidates gear and provides portability and access in a single package especially for diehard MPC users.  😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

21 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The MPC Key 61 is primarily aimed at those who for many years had that alternative setup of an MPC plus a ROMpler/workstation KB and other pieces. 

The MPC workflow when it comes to music production is legendary.  IMO, very few KB workstations and hardware sequencers can match the efficiency of an MPC when it comes to banging out a track.

Now, a music producer or a musician can travel with ONE KB filled with sounds, samples, sequences and whole songs on the MPC Key 61.   

Even cooler is being able to travel from DC to LA with a thumb drive filled with MPC data.  Pop that thumb drive into a rented MPC key 61 and get back to work or a gig. 

The MPC Key 61 consolidates gear and provides portability and access in a single package especially for diehard MPC users.  😎

You think it's "aimed" for portability? 

I def think the MPC live would be a better option then because it doesn't require outside power (for a certain length of time...).  You can charge it and go.  That's what I'd call portable.  Lol

4 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

So he’s saying use your own keyboard as a controller and sound source, pickup any MPC Live second hand and beef up its IO with a class compliant audio interface.   

Yeah basically.  Thoughts? 

(And he is me 😊😁)

• Haha 1

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

4 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

The MPC Key 61 is more portable than dragging that three (3) piece meal consisting of an MPC Live, a 61-key MIDI KB and interface. 🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

11 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

I def think the MPC live would be a better option then because it doesn't require outside power (for a certain length of time...).  You can charge it and go.  That's what I'd call portable.  Lol

Yeah basically.  Thoughts? 

(And he is me 😊😁)

I think you’re quite right.  You get a great deal of the MPC workflow at a very small comparative investment to the MPC 61.  

Some additional thoughts.  

There are surely to be MkII/MkIII MPC Live type boxes.  So price for these previous units will continue to fall. 

The MPC X is still the flagship, but short some things that the MPC 61 has.  Half the RAM, half the CPU cores, half the SATA connectivity.  But 4 times the QLinks, 4 Midi Outs, 8 Audio outs, and more buttons, 3 inches bigger screen too.  

So adding an audio interface to previous models is also a pretty savvy way to keep up with Jones’s for a small investment.  

That said, the MPC61 is pretty slick for live use.  They should have predicted the desirability of a better quality action at $2k, however.  

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

The MPC Key 61 is more portable than dragging that three (3) piece meal consisting of an MPC Live, a 61-key MIDI KB and interface. 🤣😎

Oh yeah for sure.  

But I wasn't meaning that this alternative was portable.  

I don't think the MPC key was meant for or really marketed toward portability at all.  

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

The MPC Live/2 alone is extremely portable.  Especially considering it's power requirements.  

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

1 hour ago, EscapeRocks said:

Cool ideas Julius!

Also, I don't know why, but I didn't realize this was "you" when I'd scroll thru the topics here.

I've been subscribed to your YouTube for a while.  Always good stuff!

Thanks sir!! Yep it's me.  Just sharing some info/content/ and ideas.  

• Like 1

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I think you’re quite right.  You get a great deal of the MPC workflow at a very small comparative investment to the MPC 61.  

Some additional thoughts.  

There are surely to be MkII/MkIII MPC Live type boxes.  So price for these previous units will continue to fall. 

The MPC X is still the flagship, but short some things that the MPC 61 has.  Half the RAM, half the CPU cores, half the SATA connectivity.  But 4 times the QLinks, 4 Midi Outs, 8 Audio outs, and more buttons, 3 inches bigger screen too.  

So adding an audio interface to previous models is also a pretty savvy way to keep up with Jones’s for a small investment.  

That said, the MPC61 is pretty slick for live use.  They should have predicted the desirability of a better quality action at $2k, however.  

One common complaint I keep seeing though is the load times would be deal breakers in a live situation.  

I just see this as a "permanent" install in a studio (of course it can be transported)... But I don't see it as a live performance tool at all.  Maybe for playing back tracks but not as an alternative to boards like the Motif, Fantom, Kronos, Nautilus etc...

• Like 2

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

45 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

One common complaint I keep seeing though is the load times would be deal breakers in a live situation.  

I just see this as a "permanent" install in a studio (of course it can be transported)... But I don't see it as a live performance tool at all.  Maybe for playing back tracks but not as an alternative to boards like the Motif, Fantom, Kronos, Nautilus etc...

Right, I was seeing this in the way you had suggested in the video - live use to bring Ableton type backing tracks/loops supplementing the keyboard of choice - like a Triton or Motif or something.   The MPC 61 doesn’t seem as well suited for that job alone due to the load times.  But your rig I think is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

I will use the MPC Key 61 as a live performance KB sitting atop my Rhodes. 😎

• Like 1

PD

4 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I will use the MPC Key 61 as a live performance KB sitting atop my Rhodes. 😎

Cool!!! So are the load times not as bad as people are saying? (Patch changes)

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

31 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

So are the load times not as bad as people are saying? (Patch changes)

When switching between certain sounds on the MPC Key 61, the load time is noticeable but not too bad.

However, once live performance setups are stored as projects, there is no load time when switching sounds.  The MPC Key 61 functions like any other KB workstation/ROMpler.😎

• Like 2

PD

46 minutes ago, ProfD said:

When switching between certain sounds on the MPC Key 61, the load time is noticeable but not too bad.

However, once live performance setups are stored as projects, there is no load time when switching sounds.  The MPC Key 61 functions like any other KB workstation/ROMpler.😎

Is it capable of seamless sound switching from one Performance/Project/Setup  to another without cutting off the notes and fx? 

38 minutes ago, ProfD said:

But then don't you have to load the projects themselves?

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

4 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Also, it looks like MPC Key has lots more sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

21 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Is it capable of seamless sound switching from one Performance to another without cutting off the notes and fx? 

Not an important feature to me but I'll test it and report back. 

13 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

But then don't you have to load the projects themselves?

Projects have to be loaded which also pulls in the sounds assigned to it too. 

A project can have 128 MIDI tracks and 8 audio tracks.  Each MIDI track can be loaded with an internal sound. A caveat is # of tracks/sounds is limited by 4 GB RAM.

The # of sounds required for a gig might require more than one project.  But, managed effectively, there should be enough time to load it.

4 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Also, it looks like MPC X has lots more sounds.

Nope.  MPC X users are complaining because it does not include the sounds of the MPC Key 61. 

Right now, other MPC users have to pony up $500 to get the additional sounds. 😎

PD

35 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Nope.  MPC X users are complaining because it does not include the sounds of the MPC Key 61. 

Whoops! I meant to say MPC Key. Fixed, thanks.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hey Julius i just subscribed after watching this.

Ill add to my comment i left on the video in that i too have previously been dissapointed with the keyboard action on an Akai product. So it worries me what the keybed action is like.

Back in the 80s Akai released a decent but basic 4 zone controller. MKS73 controller keyboard possibly their first keyboard?

Although basic it had everything a Pub (Bar) performer needed for gigging at that time. ZonIng was adequate and perfect for my needs so i loved it but the keyboard felt like i was playing on 73 squishy slugs. Needless to say i sold it only because of the keybed. It worries me this new keyboard has a cheap keybed. Where i live there is no where to try this out.

Why do i care...well ill paste below what i left on your comments.

"Ive been eyeing this keyboard but I was looking this way too although my wife said sell off all your vintage gear and get the 61. Wow she so pro computer type recording shes in on the 61 over my old school recording. Im anti computer recording. But a daw in a box is ok by me.

But as we are struggling in "saving the ranch"  i think if i sold off my vintage gear most would go towards the mortgage and id go this cheaper way being I'dd already have a keyboard or two. Cheers from downunder."

So basically ive been thinking of letting a lot of my gear go if someting inspired me to do that.

First priority is feeding the mortgage which Ive earmarked some gear to do anyway if it comes to that but I'd still want/need to replace a lot of my "sold off" vintage stuff with a single replacement for recording. I thought perhaps the MPC 61 but if the keyaction is "not good" would I be better with this option or similar as I'd already have a keyboard.

Its great my wife is onboard when she sees something that makes sense but I know its tough selling old gear and is very time consuming plus covering the mortgage could mean I may end up without anything to replace whats lost but hey i prefer my house to gear.

Secondhand stuff is difficult to locate where I am hence an MPC may be hardish to find though being small it is postable.

Anyway enjoyed your thoughts which were akin to what i was thinking but you pointed out someting I didnt think of that I would need an Audio interface which I had not equated into the idea as I thought the MPC already had one.

27 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Hey Julius i just subscribed after watching this.

Ill add to my comment i left on the video in that i too have previously been dissapointed with the keyboard action on an Akai product. So it worries me what the keybed action is like.

Back in the 80s Akai released a decent but basic 4 zone controller. MKS73 controller keyboard possibly their first keyboard?

Although basic it had everything a Pub (Bar) performer needed for gigging at that time. ZonIng was adequate and perfect for my needs so i loved it but the keyboard felt like i was playing on 73 squishy slugs. Needless to say i sold it only because of the keybed. It worries me this new keyboard has a cheap keybed. Where i live there is no where to try this out.

Why do i care...well ill paste below what i left on your comments.

"Ive been eyeing this keyboard but I was looking this way too although my wife said sell off all your vintage gear and get the 61. Wow she so pro computer type recording shes in on the 61 over my old school recording. Im anti computer recording. But a daw in a box is ok by me.

But as we are struggling in "saving the ranch"  i think if i sold off my vintage gear most would go towards the mortgage and id go this cheaper way being I'dd already have a keyboard or two. Cheers from downunder."

So basically ive been thinking of letting a lot of my gear go if someting inspired me to do that.

First priority is feeding the mortgage which Ive earmarked some gear to do anyway if it comes to that but I'd still want/need to replace a lot of my "sold off" vintage stuff with a single replacement for recording. I thought perhaps the MPC 61 but if the keyaction is "not good" would I be better with this option or similar as I'd already have a keyboard.

Its great my wife is onboard when she sees something that makes sense but I know its tough selling old gear and is very time consuming plus covering the mortgage could mean I may end up without anything to replace whats lost but hey i prefer my house to gear.

Secondhand stuff is difficult to locate where I am hence an MPC may be hardish to find though being small it is postable.

Anyway enjoyed your thoughts which were akin to what i was thinking but you pointed out someting I didnt think of that I would need an Audio interface which I had not equated into the idea as I thought the MPC already had one.

Are you TeddyBearAsaurus?

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

3 hours ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

Are you TeddyBearAsaurus?

No..

But funny you should say that its more like I was DropBearAgoggo till the Fauciflu bullcrap hit here.

Now there is no money in Taking American Tourists to see the local Drop Bears (they flourish in our bush down here as our particular area hadnt got burnt out in the last bushfires). There is no or few overseas tourists visiting Australia sincecthe lockdowns. Hence no income.

I live in an eco rich area and Drop Bears are numerous but its true once one falls on your head it scratches the living daylights out of you so a tour operator is best to keep tourists out of harms way.

Although the droppings from the drop bears still attract good money in local restaurants (sort of the Aussie equivalent of truffles) they still dont transport well and cant be exported. And as restaurants dont have tourists then they arent buying Drop Bear Droppings(Truffles).

Im going to keep an eye on your content as i enjoyed that video and advise you that Aussies can "spin a good yarn" when prompted. (Im inserting a winking eye emoji here)

Just now, AUSSIEKEYS said:

No..

But funny you should say that its more like I was DropBearAgoggo till the Fauciflu bullcrap hit here.

Now there is no money in Taking American Tourists to see the local Drop Bears (they flourish in our bush down here as our particular area hadnt got burnt out in the last bushfires). There is no or few overseas tourists visiting Australia sincecthe lockdowns. Hence no income.

I live in an eco rich area and Drop Bears are numerous but its true once one falls on your head it scratches the living daylights out of you so a tour operator is best to keep tourists out of harms way.

Although the droppings from the drop bears still attract good money in local restaurants (sort of the Aussie equivalent of truffles) they still dont transport well and cant be exported. And as restaurants dont have tourists then they arent buying Drop Bear Droppings(Truffles).

Im going to keep an eye on your content as i enjoyed that video and advise you that Aussies can "spin a good yarn" when prompted.

Oh ok.  I wasn't sure.  There was only a couple of comments.  Maybe it hasn't shown up yet.  

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

16 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

Oh ok.  I wasn't sure.  There was only a couple of comments.  Maybe it hasn't shown up yet.  

Yes you replied to me i was the one said cheers from down under i think that name you mentioned was the other guy.

The above was some good old Aussie "ribbing" (joking around) bouncing off that name you mentioned and my predicament.

Something done with a straight face around an Aussie Barbie (BBQ) 

Edit: just incase Aussie ways dont cross oceans well. Basically i was treating you as a new mate at my BBQ to some good ol aussie joking around because you helped me and corresponded to me on your video. In other words thanks mate youre now one of my mob at my BBQ if that makes sense.

• Cool 1

9 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Yes you replied to me i was the one said cheers from down under i think that name you mentioned was the other guy.

The above was some good old Aussie "ribbing" (joking around) bouncing off that name you mentioned and my predicament.

Something done with a straight face around an Aussie Barbie (BBQ) 

Edit: just incase Aussie ways dont cross oceans well. Basically i was treating you as a new mate at my BBQ to some good ol aussie joking around because you helped me and corresponded to me on your video. In other words thanks mate youre now one of my mob at my BBQ if that makes sense.

Thanks sir!!  BBQ it is!!!  That's a universal language!  Lol

• Cool 1

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

MPC Keys 61 comes with the MPC Instrument Collection bundle for free.

This bundle is not included with MPC Live 2 or MPC One.   It costs about $500.  The plugins included in the bundle may be purchased separately, though if you buy all of them, you'll pay more than the bundle price.  

MPC Keys 61 also has different specs - like twice as much RAM and disk storage, SATA bay, etc. etc.

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

MPC Keys 61 comes with the MPC Instrument Collection bundle for free.

This bundle is not included with MPC Live 2 or MPC One.   It costs about $500.  The plugins included in the bundle may be purchased separately, though if you buy all of them, you'll pay more than the bundle price.  

Hi Gov. Maybe you can help me on that count.

If say i did decide to go the MPC way instead of the 61key so therefore less sounds... then from the perspective of a player who has never played any computer generated sounds having been a purely keyboard/module user would I be well serviced by the lessor amount of MPC existing sounds without needing or wanting to upgrade. Would i want for these sounds??

In other words i have no idea how great computer sounds are only what Ive read on here. The MPC itself may have ample sounds to please me considering ill be able to record my sounds from my own external modules too.

This MPC or 61key would be for recording rather than live work.

As Im considering looking at an all in one recording option that addresses some DAW style recording what other options are available. I know some of the other big brands have workstations that include audio recording and DAW like attributes but are their audio side for vocals well implemented. Also they appear much more expensive than an MPC option. The Audio side is more important to me for recording vocals in  a DAW like setting.

I guess Im looking for the DAW experience without sitting at a computer. My alternative is to break out my mothballed Roland VS2480 which is a great recorder but I feel theres a lot to be gained by what Ive seen of DAW methodolgy with the addition of these we are talking about are both very portable solutions.

As a heads up for midi sequencing if sticking with my VS2480 id revert back to using my Akai ASQ10 sequencer Ironically the forerunner of the Akai MPC range and was concurrent with the original MPC60. Id also use my K5000W sequencer which was a ripper in its day.

But this modern setup has portability, DAW and an all in one aspect thats seemd to be close to what Ive been looking for.

41 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Hi Gov. Maybe you can help me on that count.

If say i did decide to go the MPC way instead of the 61key so therefore less sounds... then from the perspective of a player who has never played any computer generated sounds having been a purely keyboard/module user would I be well serviced by the lessor amount of MPC existing sounds without needing or wanting to upgrade. Would i want for these sounds??

Take a closer look at the paid plugins listed here.  If you can live without any of them (I can see 3 right off the bat that 90% of this forum cannot live without), then you're good to go with one of the cheaper MPCs:

https://www.thempcstore.com/mpc-plugin-instruments/mpc-instrument-collection.html

From what I understand, there is a 5-min. limit to recording to an audio track.

https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1801474#:~:text=There is a 5 minute,in the MPC Software itself.

Thanks gov i appreciate your help.

yes i had looked at that Akai page previously. I guess im asking is there enough sounds onboard a standard MPC to be useful to me someone who is non "plug in" savy. By what i read into your words is you need these plug ins just to get piano, organ synths as the MPC is lacking here. Im assuming then is it more towards drum and bass sounds for the beat market. Therefore actually lacking piano, organ and synth sounds. If so then id have to go the 61key.

And thanks for the link to the vocal recording time limitation. Would that also apply with the 61key

I know i could be just as happy with a non "plug in" all in one synth with DAW type recording vocal recording but im yet to read about any that have yet truley addressed a DAW in a box though getting closer. I thought this one may have.