Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Play it when it's right not just because you can.

Par for the course.  Many great musicians have had to be humbled at some point. 

The old Jazz musicians were notorious for telling chops-oriented musicians to play something musical after they finished showing off. 

There was a reason Joe Zawinul came to America with the specific intent to play with black musicians. It was evident throughout his approach to music and body of work. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

One evening, I was cleaning up the kitchen with the TV on in the living room. 

I heard one note and instantly I knew that BB King was on television. I went into the living room and watched/listened to BB. 

Knowing when to play is importatnt. Knowing when not to play is even more important. If you can tell people who you are in just a few seconds, that's paramount. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I’m quite certain there’s a joke involving a dog here somewhere. :laugh:

I once saw an interview of Glenn Campbell where he was talking about how Luther Perkins, long-time guitarist for Johnny Cash, influenced him. He said Luther was often asked why he played with such a simplistic style. Glen then played a flurry of notes on his guitar to demonstrate overplaying. To which Luther responded, “Those guys are trying to find the right notes. I already found them.”

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

36 minutes ago, Moonglow said:

I’m quite certain there’s a joke involving a dog here somewhere. :laugh:

I once saw an interview of Glenn Campbell where he was talking about how Luther Perkins, long-time guitarist for Johnny Cash, influenced him. He said Luther was often asked why he played with such a simplistic style. Glen then played a flurry of notes on his guitar to demonstrate overplaying. To which Luther responded, “Those guys are trying to find the right notes. I already found them.”

Perfect!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: