Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha AN-X trademark registration

“Yamaha has registered the trademark for “AN-X” in the music instruments section, is an evolution of Yamaha’s beloved AN1X Synthesizer in the works?”

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/06/an-x-trademark-registration-new-yamaha-synth-in-the-works.html

Or perhaps a synth engine being added to Montage?  

We shall see.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Waiting for that VL-X someday too...maybe.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

If they put the YC's organ engine in the montage too, well now I'm interested... not that I can afford it

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

I’ve been hoping they’d do a Kronos like multi engine keyboard with CP, YC, AN, FM, CS, VL, AWM… basically all their IP into a Nord Stage type UI with choice of actions.  The CP and YC are a step in the right direction.  

• Like 1

Something is going on in Yamaha-land. "AN-X" was just recently registered while "CK61" and "CK88" were registered a year ago.

Maybe they're just doing this to drive us mad! 🙂

My own guess is a Montage (possibly MODX) upgrade for pay. Yamaha product flow to retailers still seems a little slow, so why not issue an upgrade for the existing platform(s) and make some easy money?

All the best -- pj

More speculation here:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/guess-again-an-x-tm/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/namm-2022-your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine/

A synth engine that went into the Montage and trickled down to the Modx would be an amazing thing.

Same with the organ although as every gig goes by with solid performance from my ipad and B-3X I consider that a lesser deal.  I realize I could use synths from the ipad also, but the organ is much simpler since I essentially only use one patch and have mapped the controls I need (unfortunately that doesn't include drawbars due to lack of controls, but the drawbar presets are on the lowest octave of the modx7 and so they help mitigate this lack.)

I may hold off on getting a synth library (Analog Xperience) while I see what this turns out to be.   It wasn't an urgent need as I haven't been unhappy with my from-scratch synth patches.

The AN1-X is/was a nice sounding, versatile VA synth. I had one for awhile but eventually sold it as I wasn't crazy about the matrix style programming. (More knobs please.)

I sure hope they're developing a new version. Whether it's a hardware synth all on it's own or an add-on for the Montage / MODX remains to be seen, so fingers crossed in the meantime that Yamaha serves up something good.  

9 minutes ago, Konnector said:

The AN1-X is/was a nice sounding, versatile VA synth. I had one for awhile but eventually sold it as I wasn't crazy about the matrix style programming. (More knobs please.)

I owned one also and agree with your points. It sounded very good but is housed in a cheap blue plastic case. Never got over that, I am shallow that way. :hider:

• Like 1
:nopity:

8 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Oh yes, I knew that. I was just musing that the "AN-X" trademark suggests "analogue - but more so", which might interest me, while a "DX7 - but more so" synth wouldn't. 

VL-X, anyone?

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

Oh yes, I knew that. I was just musing that the "AN-X" trademark suggests "analogue - but more so", which might interest me, while a "DX7 - but more so" synth wouldn't. 

VL-X, anyone?

Cheers, Mike.

Heck yes.  It’s time for Yamaha to dig deeper into modeling acoustic instruments again.  

• Thanks 1

None of this line really wowed me until they released the CS6x, which was the ultimate expression of the form. For the time, it was quite creditable. You could drop in just a few MB of user samples, but the engine could make good use of that as arps and phrases. It would also hold two of Yamaha's coveted plug-in cards, which were like entirely separate synths or acoustic piano, IIRC.

Its nearest modern analog would probably be the Nord Wave 2, aimed at serious live performance. The CS6x was as close as I ever came to buying anything from them but a couple of early reverbs. Yamaha never rang the right bells for me. Moog and Korg kept blowing in my ear. It tickled, but I clearly liked it. ☺️

• Like 2

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

None of this line really wowed me until they released the CS6x, which was the ultimate expression of the form. For the time, it was quite creditable. You could drop in just a few MB of user samples, but the engine could make good use of that as arps and phrases. It would also hold two of Yamaha's coveted plug-in cards, which were like entirely separate synths or acoustic piano, IIRC.

Its nearest modern analog would probably be the Nord Wave 2, aimed at serious live performance. The CS6x was as close as I ever came to buying anything from them but a couple of early reverbs. Yamaha never rang the right bells for me. Moog and Korg kept blowing in my ear. It tickled, but I clearly liked it. ☺️

I’ve been keeping my eye out for a CS6X or CS6R on and off.  They don’t come up often which makes me feel like they didn’t sell as well in the US as elsewhere and/or people are keeping them. 🤷 On eBay I see some in great condition shipping from Japan or Australia.  But $500-700+ and $270 in shipping is a bit hot.  

Other Yamaha’s that I really like are the S90/Motif ES era with DX, AN and VL PLG cards, the EX5 and SY99.   

11 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I’ve been keeping my eye out for a CS6X or CS6R on and off.  They don’t come up often which makes me feel like they didn’t sell as well in the US as elsewhere and/or people are keeping them. 🤷 On eBay I see some in great condition shipping from Japan or Australia.  But $500-700+ and $270 in shipping is a bit hot.  

Other Yamaha’s that I really like are the S90/Motif ES era with DX, AN and VL PLG cards, the EX5 and SY99.   

I still have one, with one of the PLG AN and PF.  Curious what your interest still is, as the newer motifs have a much more comprehensive sound engine.   Frustrating that they skimped on the full s30/s80 ROM, which is why I put the PF card in at the time (used it live in the early 2000's) since the pianos it did have were dreadful.   The knobs is still a big plus IMHO.  The import functionality was good at the time, but limited. 

I've tried to sell mine locally (unfortunately too much hassle to try to sell outside of Brazil), without much interest.    Time to give it a shot again.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

38 minutes ago, Rod S said:

I still have one, with one of the PLG AN and PF.  Curious what your interest still is, as the newer motifs have a much more comprehensive sound engine.   Frustrating that they skimped on the full s30/s80 ROM, which is why I put the PF card in at the time (used it live in the early 2000's) since the pianos it did have were dreadful.   The knobs is still a big plus IMHO.  The import functionality was good at the time, but limited. 

I've tried to sell mine locally (unfortunately too much hassle to try to sell outside of Brazil), without much interest.    Time to give it a shot again.  

I also used the Piano card in my S90ES for times when I needed to layer pianos and was running short on poly.  

A CS6r or x would be (i thought) a relatively inexpensive new home for my AN and DX cards.  I don’t have a VL but that would be cool at some point too.  I suppose a Motif ES Rack would do the job as well - there are plenty of those floating around.  

But then of course software is just killing it at the moment as far as digital synth engines.  Which makes tactile immediacy and ease of use all the more important for hardware.  

An analog modeling engine in the MODX would make me sorry for selling my MODX6. But if they manage to make something like a CS61 instrument (to complement the CP/YC) which I imagine to be a Hydrasynth-like synth with poly AT and ribbon but focused more on vintage analog sound rather than wavetables and digital shrillness, then it would be a certain buy on my side, even replacing the beloved Hydra with it. Let’s wait and see. 

• Like 1

I owned the used Yamaha CS6x keyboard with the plug-in cards, longer than any other ROMpler. If it had a better keybed, and more RAM, I still would have kept it -- especially if there was a 76 or 88 key version (61 keys isn't always enough for four-way splits, which often are essential for gigs).

I also had a used AN1x for a while but found it too flakey due to its used condition and some bizarre matrix programming techniques for stuff I expected to be basic and direct. Even so, it allowed me to come up with better presets that then transferred to the PLG-AN.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 6/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, Doerfler said:

I owned one also and agree with your points. It sounded very good but is housed in a cheap blue plastic case. Never got over that, I am shallow that way. :hider:

Yes, I still own an An1x (CS6R and S80)  Sounds incredible (the An1x was my want-to-be Prophet/OB...actually, I am surprised how P5/OB the An1x can sound) ...probably still the phattest VA out there.  But, I don't like the the Matrix-style programming (need more knobs), or the keybed, or the  cheapy flimsy power supply.  I like the on-board effects...though, it's SLOW to program delay times..

I hope Yamaha does re-visit the An1x and bring it back is an updated form.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

• 4 months later...