Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy Fathers' Day

My dad loved Artie Shaw, Glenn  Miller, Chuck Berry, Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, Dwight Yoakam, etc. He got me lessons as a kid, supported me going to music school, helped me get my first piano.  Taught me how to be an adult and a dad.  Happy Father’s Day! 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'll skip the part about my dad unable to have any real conversations with me but he was the reason I began playing keyboards and will share two interesting stories about him and my music career.

I played clarinet from 4th grade until 7th grade. Somewhere in the next year he surprised me with a Baldwin organ. I started taking cheesy organ lessons, playing songs like Cabaret, Classical Gas and his favorite Raindrops keep falling on my head, to name a few. Thanks dad for starting my keyboard career and buying me my first portable gear (Vox Continental and Ampeg B18.) Sorry I began getting into piano and jazz and never playing Raindrops again or anything else you liked before I graduated from high school.

Later in life he came to see me perform in my club dance band. We were playing in a sleaze place on Rte. 1 in Peabody, MA called the Balcony. He brought a VHS camcorder to film me but right as he was starting to film, the management stopped him. Apparently, they didn't want their patrons to be filmed <nudge, nudge, say no more...) One cool thing that happened at same club was James Williams came up to me after a set and said he liked my playing.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

My dad's LP collection was excellent - jazz, latin and broadway musicals. Thankfully, having LPs also meant we had a decent stereo.  Weekends were often filled with music in our house.  Our son also enjoys music - here we are 10 years ago.

79410440_MichaelDad-Piano.thumb.jpg.d20a57d8e1007b4a478a4a04895bfb14.jpg

• Like 2

Steve Coscia

My Dad (and Mom) supported me big time. They had bought me my first organ (a Gibson G-102) and when I wasn't happy with that, they said that for each of us kids we would get a car when we graduated high school. Since I was doing well in school, if I wanted my gift early they would let me spend the money on a replacement for the Gibson. I got a brand new B3 with 122 Leslie! If that isn't love...

He then bought a trailer and would drive me to band rehearsals and gigs. I'll never forget those signs of how much he loved and supported my dreams/goals.

Jerry

• Like 3

For me it was always my mom. She drove me to every piano lesson, and has been my strongest supporter throughout my entire life. She has always been so proud of my music, and continued to occasionally come to my gigs until she gave up driving. She's now 92, and still amazingly independently, and still my strongest supporter, always urging me to relax and not be so stressed.

It was more difficult between my father and I. I don't think he ever really wanted to be a father, and was pretty absentee throughout my sister's and my growing up, intentionally switching work shifts to a schedule that kept him out of our lives. I'm sure there were reasons and stories I will never know for why he did the things he did and the choices he made. But it left a hole in my life, and perhaps the biggest hole that never really filled was not ever being able to remember a time he ever said he was proud of me.

I have tried to be a different kind of father to my two sons, and in some ways I think I succeeded. They're both married and well into their lives and careers; my younger has given me two twin granddaughters who facetime'd this morning. 

Just finished watching Field of Dreams with my wife. Boy that will make you misty.

Happy Father's Day to all, my friends. Oh how the time goes so fast.

4 hours ago, timwat said:

I have tried to be a different kind of father to my two sons, and in some ways I think I succeeded.

Reading this made me proud of you, Tim. Just sharing this proves you have succeeded. 

:nopity:

Happy (belated) Father's days to all!   (Different day here in Brazil, but I'll join in...)

My dad taught me the first notes on a piano (plays guitar, but could play children songs on the piano).   Will always cherish that.  First musical memory I have.  

I'll leave these here - hope she enjoys the journey as much as I am.   

Naomi Keys.JPG

• Like 1

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760