Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberg VST Live

Mike Martin

Been wondering when they'd do this. 

Cross platform Mac and Windows. 

$99 introduction price for the PRO version (normally $129). 

$59 for the Elements version - seems to be identical except it does not have DMX Lighting control found in the Pro version. 

More details here: 
https://www.steinberg.net/vst-live/

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Is this the poor man's Mainstage? 

Do they provide the internal sounds/libraries or just the software to host them?

Too much filming and not enough information imo

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Click the link to the site - https://www.steinberg.net/vst-live/

It comes with Padshop 2, Retrologue and HALion Sonic SE 3 (a 30gig Library).  Padshop 2 is $129 so almost worth buying just for that. 

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

15 minutes ago, yannis D said:

Is this the poor man's Mainstage? 

At $30, I think Mainstage is the poor man's Mainstage. ;-)

But yes, I think this competes with Mainstage, Gig Performer, Camelot Pro... with all except Mainstage being cross-platform.

It does come with sounds, but the HALion Sonic SE 3 library Mike mentioned is also available by itself, for free. https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/halion/se/

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wonder if they’ve incorporated a store front into it for buying the other Steinberg VSTs?   You don’t need them if course, lots of other VSTs out there.  That does of course add to the price.  But Steinberg do make a few nice ones.  As do MOTU, Reason, etc. 

windows system requirements

64-bit Windows 10 Version 21H1, 64-bit Windows 11 Version 21H2 (or higher)

Intel Core i series or AMD Ryzen multi-core

i5 or faster

8gb RAM 

20gb storage

1920x1080 resolution rec.

Graphics card with DirectX 10 and WDDM 2.0 support (Windows only)

Steinberg Licensing (account based)

OS compatible audio interface.  I’m assuming ASIO is still best for this usage case on Windows? 

if you install, let us know how it performs live with low buffer and a nice piano sample library vst.   What do you think?  Is your laptop good enough to mix the whole band through it? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

33 minutes ago, Dockeys said:

If you’re a Mac user what the advantage of using this instead of MainStage? Can you not just load the Steinberg plug-ins into MainStage?

Steinberg does include both VST and AU versions of their plugins that install with Cubase. I assume this will be the case for plugins installed with their VST Live app. So yes you could just use MainStage.  Of course Apple provides a lot more content, fx, instruments than Steinberg is doing here, Live vs MainStage.  But if you are doing your setups in VST Live - it will no longer matter which OS you choose because Steinberg is an excellent cross platform developer. 

hmmm. I wonder what Ableton thinks of Steinberg naming the application VST Live?  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

For virtual instruments, it seems to me that this does compete with MainStage. But, it seems to do more than that such as sequencing, lyrics, lighting, and video.

If all you are looking for is a live rig, then you need to see which one works for you as far as features and sounds. But if you want to do a bit more for your band's live show, this looks like a clever package.

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

hmmm. I wonder what Ableton thinks of Steinberg naming the application VST Live?

As far as copyright/trademark of the name goes, Ableton can't do anything, because 'live' is a word that can't be trademarked and Steinberg owns the trademark for 'VST'.  If they like it, well that isn't Steinberg's problem.

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

6 hours ago, Dockeys said:

If you’re a Mac user what the advantage of using this instead of MainStage? Can you not just load the Steinberg plug-ins into MainStage?

I think it's the same as why one might use Gig Performer or Camelot Pro instead of Mainstage... the preferred workflow/interface, feature differences, possible performance differences... 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The idea of Cubase compatibility is intriguing...especially if a person is a heavy Cubase user (like myself). This seems to address a lot of feature requests for Mainstage that haven't been added for years. Time will tell if it catches on I suppose.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Per Steinberg forum post, demo slated for end of August:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/demo-version-chords-lyrics/791822/6

Here's hoping it supports plugin caching as well as global patches (like a piano) that can be referenced/aliased in each preset.

I would also expect this to be packaged into the next Absolute collection upgrade.

I make software noises.

Steinberg's e-licenser alone might be a reason for me to pass. Good god that thing is a piece of crap.

I use a Steinberg UR44 I/O box and the VSTs that come with that aren't even worth keeping because of how difficult and invasive that e-licenser is. 

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

From reading all the various pages about this from Steinberg and some other sites:  This does look like cool software. It also looks like it is designed for bands that make heavy use of tracks.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80