Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Gabriel to release new album

Peter Gabriel is set to release his first new album in 20 years later in 2022 with a tour to follow.

Gabriel’s longtime drummer Manu Katché said the band is finishing a new album, which they will take on a world tour in 2023.

Earlier in 2022, Gabriel said that he had “a lot of songs I’m trying to get finished” and is hoping to have something out by the end of the year. In 2021, Gabriel also posted a series of photos featuring himself with Katché along with guitarist David Rhodes and bassist Tony Levin, in a recording studio at his Real World Studios in Bath, England.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Peter Gabriel (@itspetergabriel)

Gabriel recently said that he and his band had worked on 17 songs in 10 days at the studio.

“I’m excited by what is being cooked at the moment,” said Gabriel in a 2020 interview, first teasing the new music. “I have been slowed down quite a lot by lockdown,” said Gabriel at the time.”We’ve not been able to have Dickie [Richard Chappell], my engineer here, but I have enough songs that I like to make a record I’m proud of.”

Famous for taking his time in between releases, the working title of the new album is I/O and comes 20 years since Gabriel’s ninth album Up, which took him nearly a decade to complete.

This is very good news. As a devoted Gabriel and Genesis fan I hope this new album is going to sound good.

Anyone else on here a fan of Genesis? I think it's fair to say that when Gabriel left Genesis, they lost their "progressive" sound that they were first known for. Hopefully this will be a good consolation prize for those upset that Phil Collins has to retire.

But just be friendly and reply to this thread.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I love Gabriel era Genesis! Though I think it's an exaggeration to speak as though Genesis "lost their "progressive" sound" overnight when Gabriel left. There were years of good music output from them following his departure. It was a more gradual shift than that.

However there did come a time when new Genesis releases made me wince and change that dial...

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I always thought both acts improved with the split.  Genesis would lack conciseness and wander and ramble too much.  After the split the songs improved and were more focused.  Also After the split Peter had full creative control over his music and he was able to do exactly what he heard in his head and Gabriels solo stuff became his best stuff ever. 

Some of the best old school Genesis was early Marillion.  LOL.

• Like 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The band's most commercially successful line-up consisted of keyboardist Tony Banks, bassist/guitarist Mike Rutherford and drummer/singer Phil Collins. The 1970s line-up featuring singer Peter Gabriel and guitarist Steve Hackett was among the pioneers of progressive rock (from Wikipedia). That is when I listened to them, very good stuff. After that I never paid much attention to them.

29 minutes ago, CEB said:

I always thought both acts improved with the split.  Genesis would lack conciseness and wander and ramble too much.  After the split the songs improved and were more focused.  Also After the split Peter had full creative control over his music and he was able to do exactly what he heard in his head and Gabriels solo stuff became his best stuff ever. 

I agree.

29 minutes ago, CEB said:

:roll:

dB

• Like 3

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

9 hours ago, CEB said:

Y' know, I caught Fish-era Marillion live once- GREAT concert! In a beautiful, very old theater as in theatrical plays and music, all incredible woodwork and stained-glass, it looked somewhat like an old church or cathedral inside. Anyway, they were fantastic and Fish's voice was phenomenal.

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I caught Marillion live in San Francisco at Bimbo's 360 Club in North Beach, shortly after arriving on the west coast in late 1991. They were very tight and energetic live. It's interesting how both bands had a similar split. I like both eras of Marillion (though truthfully they had way more transitions than just the loss of Fish). It keeps things fresh.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years since a new Peter Gabriel studio album? That makes me feel so old and non-productive, as it doesn't seem that long ago that I bought it (and loved it), so what have I accomplished in that time? Not enough, for sure. But maybe that puts me in good company with Peter. He's notoriously slow in his writing, whereas my problem is in getting around to production work. It has been said that Peter creates little snippets that get stitched together to make songs. Sort of like how Yes's "Close to the Edge" came into being?

• Like 3

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

20 years?  DAYum!

I can’t say I was a big fan of pre-split Genesis.  By the time I discovered them, the two camps were already forging distinct identities.  And for me, Genesis’ forays into pop were really good for the genre.  Their prog sensibilities brought a gravitas to pop that had been lacking for most of the genre’s history.  They undoubtedly changed the boundaries of what younger pop musicians could do without having to reinvent themselves.

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/