Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am roaming the entire show filming with a focus on keyboards, synths, and recording gear. I’ll be posting the videos on the MPN YouTube channel and embedding them in posts on this thread. After ironing out some equipment and upload speed issues, here’s the first.

Brian Ho Demonstrates the Viscount Legend Soul 273 Organ — it is now hot on the heels of the XK5 in terms of simulating the subtle sound of the multiple key contacts and busbars of the vintage article. 

• Like 4
  • Cool 1
  • Love 3

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

7 hours ago, Stephen Fortner said:

I am roaming the entire show filming with a focus on keyboards, synths, and recording gear. I’ll be posting the videos on the MPN YouTube channel and embedding them in posts on this thread. After ironing out some equipment and upload speed issues, here’s the first.

Brian Ho Demonstrates the Viscount Legend Soul 273 Organ — it is now hot on the heels of the XK5 in terms of simulating the subtle sound of the multiple key contacts and busbars of the vintage article. 

OK.... Now I am salivating!!!!!!

Thanks, Steve.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Next up is the incredible Rhodes Mark 8. I had been on the mailing list for all the product announcements and pre-order pitches, and was initially a little skeptical, having seen the production challenges that kept the Mk. 7 in 2010 from being all it could be.

This is different. They have slammed it out of the park. See and hear for yourselves!

• Like 2

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

While my large Oberheim OB-X8 video is pushing itself through the hotel WiFi with Sisyphian persistence, I'll tease you with this one. Sometimes our organs need a little help. Booker Lab is here to save the day, with cool little boxes that bridge the vintage and contemporary tonewheel/rotary worlds. This is just a fraction of what they offer — go to their website and check out the slide-in Leslie replacement amps (because it's going to be hard to get Russian tubes for awhile) and other goodies. 

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Ok, now THIS is what I’m talking about. Marcus Ryle — who worked with Tom Oberheim on the OB-series synths and brought us the ADAT — and I geeked out about the new OB-X8.  There are dozens of sound demos out there already, and you’ve probably watched a few. So, we decided to talk about hidden and less well-known features that serve the player and make this instrument a sound designer’s paradise. 

BTW, Tom O was at the booth but swamped with admirers and friends offering condolences for the passing of his friend and colleague Dave Smith, so although we said hello I didn’t want to stick a camera in his face. He much appreciates the support from members of these forums. 

• Like 1

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

”Have you seen that synth with the motorized knobs?” After hearing that several times as I trolled the NAMM show floor, I found it right along the front wall of Hall A. Startup Melbourne Instruments has created the NINA 12, described as a hybrid synth. It features three oscillators: a true VCO, an FPGA-based virtual analog oscillator not unlike those in the UDO Super Six, and a digital wavetable oscillator. But what caught my attention was how incredibly responsive the motorized knobs are in response to, say, MIDI control. Check it out ...

I'd love to get these up faster for you as there's more in my editing queue. Doing as best I can with lots of NAMM time demands, slow hotel WiFi, and a parallel 5G connection Xfinity Mobile seems to be throttling. 

Here's a preview of coming attractions:

• Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave — that's the modern PPG-like blue one and it's fantastic.
  • A cool little electronic wind instrument and physical modeling synth from French developer Aodyo.
  • Casio CT-S1000V, which turns typed lyrics into vocal phrases or syllables. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. 
  • A modular piano/controller whose keyboard breaks up into several sections, the Piano de Voyage. Since you can use up to four sections, it’s scaleable! Get it?
  • Plus whatever I film tomorrow. Any requests?  

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Dr Nursers, how’s this for service with a smile? I actually wish I’d had more one-on-one interaction with Marco in this video, but several media folks were shooting at once and I had to move on right afterwards. But here's an overview of the Dexibell S10 and S10L digital pianos. There are also the H10 models, featuring identical tech in upright and mini-grand cabinets.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Here’s the 3rd Wave from Groove Synthesis. They describe it as “what would have happened if PPG never went out of business.” It’s so much more than that. I admit I was kind of over the PPG redux thing until I heard and played this beast. In part 1, designer Bob Coover gives us a features overview. 

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

In part 2 of the 3rd Wave video, we’re treated to sound demos from sound designer Mattea Simovich. 

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Next up is the Sylphyo electronic wind instrument from Aodyo. It features real airflow, detection of woodwind breath and tonguing techniques, and an accelerometer that can modulate the sound based on moving the instrument. 

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Ayodyo also showed off a nifty desktop synth called the Anyma Phi (the Greek letter, but no way am I digging for that on my iPhone right now). Phi because physical modeling. 

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

15 hours ago, Stephen Fortner said:

Dr Nursers, how’s this for service with a smile? I actually wish I’d had more one-on-one interaction with Marco in this video, but several media folks were shooting at once and I had to move on right afterwards. But here's an overview of the Decibel S10 and S10L digital pianos. There are also the H10 models, featuring identical tech in upright and mini-grand cabinets.

You  are the man thanks so much!!

Hi all! NAMM was a blast, and I just wanted to let you know that like brother dB’s teaser says, I do have more videos coming. I got home off a red-eye flight today and have been catching up on sleep and family. I’ll have another batch up for you tomorrow, including:

• Casio CT-S1000V talking/singing keyboard.
  • Cool mics and a killer give-away from Audix.
  • What’s new in drivers from famed speaker maker Celestion.
  • A vlogcast wrap of everything acclaimed keyboardist Michael Lehmann Boddicker and I thought was cool at the show. When the two of us cut up on camera, it’s always a good time, so don’t miss this one!

And maybe a little more. Thanks for your patience. The show was so fun and it was great to see everyone, but I was a lump of jello when I returned home.

• Like 3

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Here’s the Casio CT-S1000V. The main attraction here is that it can sing lyrics input via a companion app, using natural or synthesized/vocoded sounds. It’s NOT a vocoder — you don’t sing into it. But it can sing an entire phrase when you strike a key, or take that phrase one syllable at a time with each subsequent key press. And because it’s a Casiotone, it has a ton of great sounds and auto-accompaniments.

• Like 2

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

On 6/7/2022 at 10:04 PM, Stephen Fortner said:

A vlogcast wrap of everything acclaimed keyboardist Michael Lehmann Boddicker and I thought was cool at the show. When the two of us cut up on camera, it’s always a good time, so don’t miss this one!

REALLY looking forward to this one!!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...