Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Emergency Normandy / France gig sub

Well, it finally got me. I got off the road Saturday after several weeks and started feeling like shit on Monday. Tested myself for COVID and it was negative. Tested again yesterday and it was positive. I feel really bad.

I’m supposed to go to Normandy on Sunday to perform with Detroit blues great Thornetta Davis. Is there anyone here in France that might be able to do the gig? It’s just one show on May 24. Here’s the website: https://www.jazzsouslespommiers.com/artistes_2022/thornetta-davis/

I have rudimentary but effective charts in iRealB format. The music is fun. Lots of organ. 

PM me.

• Sad 2

I can't help you with your gig Jim but I can share this. I picked up Covid three weeks ago (probably at the club), was really sick for one day, was less sick for two more, by day 4 was well enough to do stuff around the house, and by day 6 was out hiking the hills behind town. 

Even though my third shot (the booster authorized in the fall) had been seven months previous, it still must have been some protection. I was amazed at how fast it cleared up, and I'm 75 and no spring chicken!

My hope is that your recovery is as speedy as mine. Best of luck to you Jim! 

8 hours ago, Bill H. said:

was really sick for one day, was less sick for two more, by day 4 was well enough to do stuff around the house, and by day 6 was out hiking the hills behind town. 

Exactly how me and my wife got through Covid in February 2021 before vaccines were available. FWIW, never got vaccinated afterwards, nor have been protecting myself or avoiding people, public places, etc. ever since. Life as usual. No reinfection so far. 

• Like 1

The issue with this virus is that it affects people so differently. I’m sick as hell and have been since Tuesday. Today is maybe a little better but yesterday was brutal. I’m fully vaccinated and boosted. But this thing is kicking my ass. Thanks for the well wishes.

9 minutes ago, Jim Alfredson said:

The issue with this virus is that it affects people so differently. I’m sick as hell and have been since Tuesday. Today is maybe a little better but yesterday was brutal. I’m fully vaccinated and boosted. But this thing is kicking my ass. Thanks for the well wishes.

Be well! 

Yes, we are all different. 

I too caught Covid in late August. I'd had my two Moderna vaccines. 

For me, it felt like severe allergies. I knew something was not right and got tested - positive. 

2 days later I was asymptomatic, felt completely fine but I was a carrier. That's a scary thought in context, somebody could have Covid and not even be aware of it while they share it with others. So. Much. Fun. NOT.

I've had 2 boosters since then and no sick. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think you'll still be surprised at how fast this will clear up Jim. I was so sick that Monday that I never thought I'd be able to do anything by Saturday - let alone hike and attend a community street fair. 

This is assuming you have BA.2 or a variant - which is all that's circulating around Oregon now, and why I'm assuming it's what we had. It's supposed to be milder. 

OT info going forward so ignore if not interested, but here's how this all went down. The previous Friday I gave one of the bartenders a ride home - BF problems. Anyway she was coughing in the car - dunno if she had it or not because she didn't get tested (the usual practice with the young). It was just a cough - no other symptoms right? 

It might have been her, it might have been someone else, but by early the following week several people who were in the club that weekend were testing positive for Covid. A good friend of mine - an older gal with health problems - had it a bit rougher than me, but she was still over it in 10 days or so. A woman in her 30s who's in health care tested positive at work - no symptoms at all - but of course had to quarantine for five days. A kid in his 20s with underlying health issues had a rough few days I guess, but he was back in the club the following weekend. 

I'm sure there were others too - these were just the people I know outside the club. But no one got really sick or I would have heard about it. BA.2 is like that I guess - it can slip through the cracks of an mRNA vaccine, but we still get T cell protection. No doctor here, just what I was reading while sick in bed :laugh: We were all vaccinated and boosted, which might have helped our outcomes. 

Here's to your quick recovery Jim! And let us know how this goes :) 

If I don't get it and soon it will be a miracle.  Two of my kid's best friends at school both had it, so he announces after coming home one day last week.   Florida is definitely pretty awash with it, and with kids coming in and out and gigs going on, it's kind of inevitable.  I'm getting a 2nd booster asap.  Keeping an eye on how my brother's ICU is doing, so far not too crazy.  They never had it all that bad even when other hospitals around here were floundering last year, mainly he thinks because it's an older population in his area and they were very vaccinated percentage-wise.

So sorry to hear this, Jim.  Wishing you a mild case and speedy recovery. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D