Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Throne for live Hammond

Yes, another idiosyncratic Hammond player question for the group! Does anyone have a throne or stool they like that gets to a good height for playing Hammond?

I’ve sat on a drum throne when gigging on keys for years, and I have my boards set at a height that works for it. But my A100 at home sits a little higher up than is comfy for the throne, and I’d love to be practicing how I perform a little more. My A100 bench is great but it makes it a little tougher to turn sideways and play piano in rehearsal (also it’s the perfect height for a little computer shelf next to the organ).

I know I’ve seen band keys players like Gabe Dixon, Kofi Burbridge, and Lee Pardini with comfy stools for this — even if sometimes they stand to play Hammond anyway. Anyone on the forum have reliable favorites?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

If I'm not kicking pedals, I just use a drum throne. Get one that goes high enough. If I am playing pedals, I use an On-Stage Z stand, which in it's lowest setting is just the right height as an organ bench. I put an old A100 bench top on top of it and it works like a charm and is easily transportable.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I use a basic wooden stool that is exactly the same height as a Hammond bench. image.thumb.png.f336075a6ae9fa8b8b04d847073beb00.png

• Like 1

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2022 at 12:04 PM, analogika said:

I’m just gonna plug the IKEA Nilserik again. 

Been using them for over twenty years. They rotate and tilt to wherever I need to be leaning if I want them to. 2972CFBD-B492-4927-BF62-1F71928D738C.thumb.jpeg.6924f8304d28d4af44def07dc979c9df.jpeg

Holy hell Analogika! I've read a few of your posts over the years recommending the Nilserik, and finally decided it was time for me to have my own throne for certain gigs and made the Ikea order. I LOVE this thing!! I'm regretting waiting so long to get one. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've been using a lightweight folding stool from wallymart that's not quite standing height but higher that sitting. I set my KB stand high but not so high that my expression pedal is awkward. It's not particularly comfortable but not so bad that an hour long set hurts my tailbone.

But it's main appeal is its light and with my KB in a bag with shoulder strap and my KB stand in hand, I can pretty much walk in to some places with everything all in one trip. I can drift in and drift out like Mr Breeze.

FunMachine.

Sat in my drummers Roc-n-soc with a backrest recently.   Felt like i was sitting in a cadillac.  it was so comfortable i could have fallen asleep.  no shxt .......

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 12/14/2023 at 10:37 PM, synthdogg said:

Holy hell Analogika! I've read a few of your posts over the years recommending the Nilserik, and finally decided it was time for me to have my own throne for certain gigs and made the Ikea order. I LOVE this thing!! I'm regretting waiting so long to get one. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

So happy to hear that. 🙂✌️

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio