Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweetwater - Curator of Vintage Synths

Nice pics! If you haven’t been there, it’s worth the trip. I live about 4 hours away and have been there a few times. Keyboard showroom has most everything on display to try. Great place, plan on spending several hours. First time there, we rented a room nearby and spent a second day! 

• Like 3
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I think I'm going to  steal  Elmer's line, and start calling myself a "Curator" ......sounds so much better than "hoarder".

I have friends that call the new  Sweetwater mall "Disney for Dads".  :)

• Haha 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I’m fortunate to live about two hours away from Sweetwater, and that collection stops me in my tracks every time I go there.

• Like 2

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

1 hour ago, obxa said:

I think I'm going to  steal  Elmer's line, and start calling myself a "Curator" ......sounds so much better than "hoarder".

I have friends that call the new  Sweetwater mall "Disney for Dads".  :)

I’ll try that language with my wife and see how it plays!

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

OT a bit, but I'm even more likely to buy from them after my recent warranty replacement for a mixer than was more than six months old.  I'm pretty sure I'd have been SOL most other places.  And while they can't/won't often give me a deal on stuff, they did give me a GREAT deal on my Novation Summit.  It doesn't hurt to ask!

I'm intrigued by this phenomenon of "retailer as museum/curator."  What Sweetwater is doing with this vintage synth display reminds me of the Bass Pro Shops headquarters store in Springfield, Missouri.  I believe it is their largest retail outlet, and within the store are several museum quality areas featuring large collections of historical firearms, archery, etc.

I'm rooting for Sweetwater to pursue something similar.  Maybe give the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame a run for its money!

Maybe I'd be more impressed if the stack didn't remind me of my time in that era, which brings the stench of solder, burning electronics and bitter tears to my mind's ear's nose. PAIA, I'm sniffing at you. That scorched box IS your grandpa's synth, sonny! Ouch!😬🤓

• Like 2

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

20 minutes ago, skipeb3 said:

And vintage USS stands, to match...

My Memorymoog took a four foot dive to the floor when one of those "vintage" USS tiers worked loose.  Those tiers cannot be trusted as you can't tighten them too much or you crack the clamps.  I would advise Sweetwater to get those valuable synths (especially that gold edition Voyager!!!) off those USS stands pronto.

1 minute ago, The Real MC said:

My Memorymoog took a four foot dive to the floor when one of those "vintage" USS tiers worked loose.  Those tiers cannot be trusted as you can't tighten them too much or you crack the clamps.  I would advise Sweetwater to get those valuable synths (especially that gold edition Voyager!!!) off those USS stands pronto.

I secured my Chroma in my USS Apache by using two cross bars - one on the back legs which had extra long arms attached, and one on the front legs that the arms rested on. Twice the clamp gripping power, and no worries about the cross bar rotating under weight.

Moe

---

8 hours ago, mate stubb said:

I secured my Chroma in my USS Apache by using two cross bars - one on the back legs which had extra long arms attached, and one on the front legs that the arms rested on. Twice the clamp gripping power, and no worries about the cross bar rotating under weight.

That's how my USS stand is currently configured to support my MIDIBoard.  The big advantage is no bounce when you pound it like a piano.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:48 AM, Moonglow said:

I’m fortunate to live about two hours away from Sweetwater, and that collection stops me in my tracks every time I go there.

Time for another short road trip to Fort Wayne!  

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

None for sale, though. 

I don't understand why the US doesn't have a synth dream store like FiveG in Tokyo. Seeing a stack of three Prophet T8s there is common. Along with almost any other synth you can think of. Usually in multiples. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 9:01 PM, David Emm said:

Maybe I'd be more impressed if the stack didn't remind me of my time in that era, which brings the stench of solder, burning electronics and bitter tears to my mind's ear's nose. PAIA, I'm sniffing at you. That scorched box IS your grandpa's synth, sonny! Ouch!😬🤓

In clearing out some old storage boxes I came across several PAIA faceplates from years past. I’m sorry I ever sold my 2700 Modular.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

2 hours ago, DaveMcM said:

In clearing out some old storage boxes I came across several PAIA faceplates from years past. I’m sorry I ever sold my 2700 Modular.

I didn't miss the double PAIA my friend had. It unsettled my creative flow when my first action in a session was to make sure the fire extinguisher's meter was in the green. 😬

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

13 hours ago, David Emm said:

I didn't miss the double PAIA my friend had. It unsettled my creative flow when my first action in a session was to make sure the fire extinguisher's meter was in the green. 😬

😂 Well there is that! But it was my first synth and the fact that I built it made it even more special.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

In a similar vein, EMEAPP, the Electronic Music Education and Preservation Project, is just outside Philadelphia. Check out their gallery page for an idea of the scale of their collection and activities. Most if not all of what folks are faulting Sweetwater for not having on display can be found there:  https://emeapp.org/gallery/

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 8:24 AM, obxa said:

Exactly!  Instead of old synth hoarder, you are now Vintage Synthesizer Curator!  Specializing in instruments that made music for the heavens and hell, touched by the Gods and Satan himself!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud