Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Guitar, means new strap.

9 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

New Guitar, means new strap.

I'm sure I've said many times how much I love these straps. 

https://www.lakotaleathers.com/

:cool:  Which color, which width? 

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

18 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

I have a black 2 inch. Unless you stand perfectly still you need strap locks, they are so soft. I use Fender rubber washers, real cheap, hold real good. 

Those are NICE straps!!!! Bookmarked. Not cheap but you get what you pay for and those look like they will last.

I've used or installed every kind of strap lock. I avoid the Dunlop ones like the plague, decades ago I repaired two Les Paul (Gibson) headstocks because Dunlop strap locks failed and they reimbursed me for the repairs but a broken guitar is never the same even if the repair is perfect. 

The Schaller strap locks have been the best commercial ones in my experience, I have them on a couple of guitars.

That said, I've had quite a few guitars, including a Gibson ES 335 Studio that I bought in 1988, that I've just gotten large washers with small center holes and screwed the strap on permanently. The 335 still has the same strap on it some 44 years later and it's not going anywhere. 😇

Hardware store, screws (if you need them) and washers will set you back about 60 cents per guitar and they will never fail. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

3 hours ago, surfergirl said:

...you need strap locks, they are so soft. I use Fender rubber washers, real cheap, hold real good.

Those are great! They look kinda cool, work very well, and really are probably all you'll ever need for that.

Personally, my favorite installed hardware style strap-locks are the Dunlop Straploks. Funny thing is, my own experience has been the opposite of KuruPrionz'- the Dunlops Straploks have always been reliable for me, while I once had a mishap with the Schaller Strap Locks. :crazy: Go figure, huh? To be fair, I believe that the Schallers have been redesigned and improved since then. Either way, I'd say just stick with the Fender rubber washers you've been using.

• Like 3

I can't get that link to work. But I do agree with the sentiment that each new guitar should get its own strap, lest one find oneself at a session strapless.

Recently, I tried an Ernie Ball jaquard strap for the first time, and the way it hits the shoulder etc. seems superior to other brands I have used over the years.

I have some more expensive ones bookmarked; maybe they're the brand listed above (I'll check when next I see those browser tabs). I'm saving them to pad out "minimum order" discount rules. Although sales have been extremely rare since COVID started.

UPDATE: The link finally loaded. Those are gorgeous, and interestingly, along the same theme (except better, and a direct sale which helps the maker) as the ones I bookmarked at the usual on-line outlet. I'll keep this one bookmarked for my next strap purchases!

• Like 2

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

10 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Recently, I tried an Ernie Ball jaquard strap for the first time, and the way it hits the shoulder etc. seems superior to other brands I have used over the years.

UPDATE: The link finally loaded. Those are gorgeous, and interestingly, along the same theme (except better, and a direct sale which helps the maker) as the ones I bookmarked at the usual on-line outlet. I'll keep this one bookmarked for my next strap purchases!

Those and many other high-grade leather straps sure are beautiful! I really can appreciate their quality...

Now, my very favorite straps for MANY years are jacquard; specifically, Planet Waves brand, 1.75” width jacquard material with with 3” mesh-fronted shoulder pads that the strap slides through. The ones I liked best seem to be discontinued and can be hard to find. (If you see any of the Planet Waves "Blue Triangle" patterned ones for sale, please let me know!)

When worn, the pad stays put on my shoulder, instead of sliding, while the strap slides back-and-forth as I and the guitar move about. No more clothing pinching, binding and bunching-up under the strap! The jacquard material 'breathes' nicely, where beautiful leather straps can feel warm and sweaty to me- especially on a hot, sunny day playing an outdoor gig.

Here's their "Mayan" pattern that I currently have on my hollow-body, arched-top Jazzbox guitar...

fnfifj30rc5zgjnu5as1.jpg

...that used to be on my "Ruby" Les Paul:

Ja1ozAC.jpg

I love how their "Blue Triangle" color and pattern goes with a Cherry Sunburst finish (makes sense- red, yellow, blue, the three Primary Colors), seen here with my "Main Squeeze":

kCLU23L.jpg

• Like 3

I have about 3 or 4 unused (in a while) guitar straps. In fact the one on my Agile Strat Clone is still working and I bought and have been using it for many many years. (Probably bought it during the 70's or mid 80's).

A good guitar deserves a good strap.  Right now, I have a few dozen sites bookmarked, Lakota among them.

My axe collection sports straps from at least 8 different makers.  (No Lakotas yet, though.) Most are some kind of leather or suede- mostly (but not all) padded- but some are textiles.

One of my faves is Franklin’s Link strap design.  Not actually padded, but the links of soft leather have a give/spring to them that functions in a similar fashion.

https://franklinstrap.com/product/link-glove-leather-handmade-guitar-strap/

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

38 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

A good guitar deserves a good strap.  Right now, I have a few dozen sites bookmarked, Lakota among them.

My axe collection sports straps from at least 8 different makers.  (No Lakotas yet, though.) Most are some kind of leather or suede- mostly (but not all) padded- but some are textiles.

One of my faves is Franklin’s Link strap design.  Not actually padded, but the links of soft leather have a give/spring to them that functions in a similar fashion.

https://franklinstrap.com/product/link-glove-leather-handmade-guitar-strap/

Those look really sharp! AND they appear buttery-soft just looking at the photos!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

This what I ended up getting. Didn't want spend $60. on a strap right now.

It looks pretty sharp; and it looks like you might've spent that, or more!

What is it?

All of my straps are Planet Waves basics, except for one old leather strap I've been meaning to repair and get back into use. Finally did it last week, and I'd forgotten how good a broken-in leather guitar strap feels in use.

I'm a fan, now I want another or two. :)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.