Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond A100 back cover, or: We Didn’t Start the Fire

My attic-rescue A100 has seen it’s fair share of dust and debris, and while it’s convenient that I can easily access the innards for oiling and such, I don’t love all those components being wide open to the air in my studio.

I know they did make back covers for the A100 and I could probably find one online, but if I wanted to drape a band banner, tapestry, blanket, or something else across the back, do I have to worry about overheating or (god forbid) a fire hazard? Figured I’d ask (and potentially get some good stories out of it).

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

One of the churches I work at has pristine  60's stock A100 - The original  back (at least for this one) is fiberboard with some ventilation holes. Same brown  stuff you'd see on vintage TV's, record players and radios from that era.   Home Depot sells it, and you can easily find the size to make your own- and paint it  a fun color- or black (as these guys did)   With the  one I use, the techs also  mounted velcro instead of the screws,  for easy maintenance, as well occasionally leaving it open for the look.   I know most things with tubes like a little bit of air, but as long as your cloth stuff isn't a super tight seal and on 24/7 probably won't be a big deal. 

Last gig in Minneapolis, on our off day  I took the trip to Paisley Park (what I call the" Purple Graceland"- very cool) -In the giant rehearsal room, finally got to see that plexiglass B3 that Prince used up close.  Noticed there were some ventilation holes in strategic places. 

• Like 2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

In my youth I replaced the fiberboard back of an L-101 with Fender speaker grill cloth stretched over a wooden frame. It looked about as you might expect, but at least it matched the cabs of the band - which was all Fender back then. 

I'd want to keep a tapestry or band banner stable somehow... attaching it to the sides or bottom. But that's just me... and I wouldn't throw a blanket over the back myself. 

• Like 1

Being a guitar player I like the idea of making a sturdy frame and put speaker grill cloth on it.   Grill cloth comes in all sorts of colors I use to replace the stock cloth on amps with black to the amp would blend into the background.   Also grill cloth will let air flow in and out.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Doerfler said:

I stole this idea from Adam MacDougall 10 years ago or so while he was with The Black Crowes.

20200303_121118.thumb.jpg.e09aca284762a8b03aab5a6070d6c3fe.jpg

Love to see it — right now I’ve got Legend of Zelda over the back of mine.

Also do I spy a Vibanet preamp installed in your E7?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

2 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Also do I spy a Vibanet preamp installed in your E7?

Indeed you do. Drove up to NJ just over 6 years ago  to visit VV and had James and Adam add some love to my E7. :cool: 

Initially, I had it shipped to me in DC but it was the very first batch and something was amiss (minor, but I didn't want to f with it)

Need to get back up there, very, very,  cool place.

• Like 1
:nopity:

I’ve got my clav in my local shop right now and we’ll see if my guy can put some life back into the original preamp. But I have thought about getting the Vibanet one as a replacement… the built-in auto wah is a bonus temptation.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

12 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I’ve got my clav in my local shop right now and we’ll see if my guy can put some life back into the original preamp. But I have thought about getting the Vibanet one as a replacement… the built-in auto wah is a bonus temptation.

VV is sold out of replacement preamps, get yourself on a waiting list in case they make them again

:nopity:

back to the original post--I've got an A-100 as well, love the open back. It's convenient and I think it looks great. I don't see any danger in leaving it open. If you're not moving it around, what's the problem?

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

It affects resale values sometimes if you are in the business.  I hav ea lot of people I work with that want stuff stock.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

we had a back cover of cabinet grade 1/2 inch plywood made up and fitted to my A100 . a lot of screws with threaded inserts attach it to the top , bottom ,

sides and the generator shelf . it stiffens up the cabinet quite well . even if you don't move an A100 it's still a lot of weight for what is a fairly flimsy cabinet .

it's wood and over time without adequate bracing ,  it's going to start to weaken .