Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B-3X quirks

So I'm trying out the demo of B-3X (version 1.3.4) on Windows in standalone mode. It sounds great but there are couple of things that I noticed.

The main thing is that the Fast/Slow Percussion switch seems to behave a bit strangely. Setting it to Slow seems to also make the percussion quieter. This is in addition to whatever the percussion volume switch is set to. I don't recall my real console doing this and certainly the other clones I'm using don't do this. Can anyone verify if they also notice this in B-3X (especially the Windows version)?

Also, at first I thought there was an unusually loud tonewheel but after some testing in DI mode, I realized that it seemed more to do with the cab sim. The Leslie cabinet seems to strongly accent the frequency represented by the E note that would be above the top C. In other words, with 2nd harmonic percussion or only the 4th drawbar out, this represents the top E note. With 3rd percussion or depending on the drawbars used, this can also be heard in the top two A notes. The sweepable mid EQ with a narrow notch can be used to tone this down. Interestingly, I have the T-Racks version of the Leslie that I use with VB3-II and I don't notice this issue. Maybe it's some interaction between the organ tone and cab sim. I haven't tried bypassing the B-3X Leslie sim and going into the T-Racks Leslie just out of curiosity.

47 minutes ago, funkyhammond said:

So I'm trying out the demo of B-3X (version 1.3.4) on Windows in standalone mode. It sounds great but there are couple of things that I noticed.

The main thing is that the Fast/Slow Percussion switch seems to behave a bit strangely. Setting it to Slow seems to also make the percussion quieter. This is in addition to whatever the percussion volume switch is set to. I don't recall my real console doing this and certainly the other clones I'm using don't do this. Can anyone verify if they also notice this in B-3X (especially the Windows version)?

Confirmed !

B-3X 1.3.4. Build 22A12, Windows 10 Pro

A bug for shure

47 minutes ago, funkyhammond said:

Also, at first I thought there was an unusually loud tonewheel but after some testing in DI mode, I realized that it seemed more to do with the cab sim. The Leslie cabinet seems to strongly accent the frequency represented by the E note that would be above the top C. In other words, with 2nd harmonic percussion or only the 4th drawbar out, this represents the top E note. With 3rd percussion or depending on the drawbars used, this can also be heard in the top two A notes. The sweepable mid EQ with a narrow notch can be used to tone this down. Interestingly, I have the T-Racks version of the Leslie that I use with VB3-II and I don't notice this issue. Maybe it's some interaction between the organ tone and cab sim. I haven't tried bypassing the B-3X Leslie sim and going into the T-Racks Leslie just out of curiosity.

I have the impression changing organ models under the "advanced" tab changes that behaviour (somewhat).

😗

A.C.

Leslie sims model horn response using resonant frequencies. Revolving horns are modelled in part by swept comb filters using resonant frequencies also, as are cabinet sims. It seems to be that electronic sims suffer from unwanted resonance buildup a lot more than the actual physical system, and this can cause loud tonewheel syndrome.

Moe

---

IK (and many others) use us as "Beta Testers". 

If you buy early, there will be bugs. If you let them know what you are noticing, they will eventually release an update that addresses those issues. 

I have the TRacKS Leslie too. I like it on guitar but parallel processing is a must. A blend of non-Leslie and Leslie is beautiful, just Leslie not so much. 

It's not the same sound if you adjust the mix in one channel. One channel without the Leslie and one with sounds better. 

I got on the MODO Drum train early, they've released 1.5 and it fixes a variety of problems that were found and reported by early adapters. 

Could be worse, at least they fix things!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

If you buy early, there will be bugs.

It seems, they already do w/ their damn IK MM Product manger application.

On my laptop (Intel i7 quad, 16GB, SSDs, Win10 Pro x64) it doesn´t download installers/ updates completely.

It downloads about 99%, stopps and refuses installation and activation w/ a strange warning of "Java script error".

I worked around this by setting up the app to run permanent "as administrator" and deactivated AVAST antivirus, but it came back when I tried updating Amplitube 5 yesterday which didn´t work.

Downloads are big and need time, so it´s annoying switching off Antivirus while being online.

And,- I recognized another issue w/ B-3X,- standalone as also as a plugin in Reaper.

In opposite to all my other devices, B-3X loads it´s GUI insanely slow,- also when closing GUI while being inserted in a Reaper track and when opening the GUI later again.

A.C.

5 hours ago, Al Coda said:

It seems, they already do w/ their damn IK MM Product manger application.

On my laptop (Intel i7 quad, 16GB, SSDs, Win10 Pro x64) it doesn´t download installers/ updates completely.

It downloads about 99%, stopps and refuses installation and activation w/ a strange warning of "Java script error".

I worked around this by setting up the app to run permanent "as administrator" and deactivated AVAST antivirus, but it came back when I tried updating Amplitube 5 yesterday which didn´t work.

Downloads are big and need time, so it´s annoying switching off Antivirus while being online.

And,- I recognized another issue w/ B-3X,- standalone as also as a plugin in Reaper.

In opposite to all my other devices, B-3X loads it´s GUI insanely slow,- also when closing GUI while being inserted in a Reaper track and when opening the GUI later again.

A.C.

Weird, certainly something to mention to IK. 

I haven't had problems with Product Manager, the downloads that take the longest by far are the sound sets. Some of those are pretty big. 

FWIW, I'm running Big Sur on a Mac mini M1 and most stuff scoots along nicely. 

1 minute ago, KuruPrionz said:

Weird, certainly something to mention to IK. 

I haven't had problems with Product Manager, the downloads that take the longest by far are the sound sets. Some of those are pretty big. 

FWIW, I'm running Big Sur on a Mac mini M1 and most stuff scoots along nicely. 

Ampltube 5 update is about 2.4GB unfortunately and even I only use the CS version.

Download needs about 12 minutes here and stops when 99% are reached.

It´s impossible to finish regardless what I do and I have to download all new instead to continue, which repeatedly fails.

It must have to do w/ Win10 security crap/ write permissions and even I don´t download to the system drive.

But program-, VST3- and VST64 plugin folders as also documents folders are on system drive,- so I guess when Product Manager tries to copy files to any local drives (C and/or D) on my laptop,- on "D" for download, on "C" for automatic/ online installations, somethingb strange blocks the procedure.

Has nothing to do w/ browser because it´s not active when Product Manger is running standalone,- so I wonder why I get a Java script issue warning at all.

I have latest Java installed though ...

☺️

A.C.

52 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

Ampltube 5 update is about 2.4GB unfortunately and even I only use the CS version.

Download needs about 12 minutes here and stops when 99% are reached.

It´s impossible to finish regardless what I do and I have to download all new instead to continue, which repeatedly fails.

It must have to do w/ Win10 security crap/ write permissions and even I don´t download to the system drive.

But program-, VST3- and VST64 plugin folders as also documents folders are on system drive,- so I guess when Product Manager tries to copy files to any local drives (C and/or D) on my laptop,- on "D" for download, on "C" for automatic/ online installations, somethingb strange blocks the procedure.

Has nothing to do w/ browser because it´s not active when Product Manger is running standalone,- so I wonder why I get a Java script issue warning at all.

I have latest Java installed though ...

☺️

A.C.

Ugh, I wish you all the best in solving the problem. I don't do Windows, not much help there. This forum has many experienced adherents so maybe post a thread on the topic and see who steps up. 

15 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

If you buy early, there will be bugs. If you let them know what you are noticing, they will eventually release an update that addresses those issues. 

To be fair, that's not beta testing. If a product is full of bugs or has some horrible bugs, then it can be criticized for being released too early and still in "beta". Otherwise, it's just the usual that happens with all software. Competition pushes companies to decide when things are good enough to be released. There will always be some bugs. 

Also, B-3X has been out for a while now. I'm actually quite surprised no one has already reported the volume issue with the Fast/Slow switch. It's possible it might be a newer bug that creeped in more recently because of some update to the percussion.

15 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I have the TRacKS Leslie too. I like it on guitar but parallel processing is a must. A blend of non-Leslie and Leslie is beautiful, just Leslie not so much. 

I can totally see that for guitar. For an authentic Hammond w Leslie sound, though, I don't think it would make sense. I'm sure it would get some interesting results but people like me are trying to replicate the sound and experience of the real console Hammonds they have played. 

4 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Ugh, I wish you all the best in solving the problem. I don't do Windows, not much help there. This forum has many experienced adherents so maybe post a thread on the topic and see who steps up. 

I got the Amplitube 5 CS update installed,- but only offline.

In AVAST, software behaviour protection and web protection can be deactivated individually and for a selcted period of time, so only 2 of the 7 protections aren´t running.

That alone enabled a safe and complete download of the installer w/o getting the Java script error.

Online installation and activation failed nonetheless,- but once you got the installer downloaded, installatiion is possible.

When I started the installer .exe in administrator mode, I recognized Windows 10 refuses installation because "the app wasn´t purchased in Microsoft Store",- no kidding.

I guess that was it already before and in for the user invisible background.

But when you get that message, there´s the option click "install nonetheless",- and that did the trick.

After that, I launched IK MM Product Manager, signed in and voilà,- activated.

But that´s a workaround and not how it should be IMO.

☺️

A.C.

1 hour ago, funkyhammond said:

To be fair, that's not beta testing. If a product is full of bugs or has some horrible bugs, then it can be criticized for being released too early and still in "beta". Otherwise, it's just the usual that happens with all software. Competition pushes companies to decide when things are good enough to be released. There will always be some bugs. 

Also, B-3X has been out for a while now. I'm actually quite surprised no one has already reported the volume issue with the Fast/Slow switch. It's possible it might be a newer bug that creeped in more recently because of some update to the percussion.

I can totally see that for guitar. For an authentic Hammond w Leslie sound, though, I don't think it would make sense. I'm sure it would get some interesting results but people like me are trying to replicate the sound and experience of the real console Hammonds they have played. 

I agree that it isn't standard operating procedure for beta testing, where the plugin designers hire somebody to find bugs. It is reality and it happens with more than just plugins. 

I've known a couple of Hammond players who run the speaker in the organ and the Leslie so my way of going about it isn't that different. If you only run a Leslie then that's another way of going about it. Both would be authentic in my experience I did sound for one of the Hammondists and we mic'ed up his non-Leslie speaker too. 

There probably isn't a "normal" way to do something like this but I've found having both non-Leslie and Leslie together sounds more "three dimensional" to me. 

5 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

I got the Amplitube 5 CS update installed,- but only offline.

In AVAST, software behaviour protection and web protection can be deactivated individually and for a selcted period of time, so only 2 of the 7 protections aren´t running.

That alone enabled a safe and complete download of the installer w/o getting the Java script error.

Online installation and activation failed nonetheless,- but once you got the installer downloaded, installatiion is possible.

When I started the installer .exe in administrator mode, I recognized Windows 10 refuses installation because "the app wasn´t purchased in Microsoft Store",- no kidding.

I guess that was it already before and in for the user invisible background.

But when you get that message, there´s the option click "install nonetheless",- and that did the trick.

After that, I launched IK MM Product Manager, signed in and voilà,- activated.

But that´s a workaround and not how it should be IMO.

☺️

A.C.

Yeah, the whole thing is pretty complex. Just about anything I download prompts a warning "This is from an unknown developer, are you sure you want to download it" is the one I get all the time. Sometimes I have to go to System Preferences, log in with my account password, unlock the "padlock" and allow something to install. 

So I'm not touting that Mac OS is "better" than Windows, I just know it better so it's easier for me in this situation. I've used both systems and they each have their advantages and their quirks. 😇

15 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I've known a couple of Hammond players who run the speaker in the organ and the Leslie so my way of going about it isn't that different. If you only run a Leslie then that's another way of going about it. Both would be authentic in my experience I did sound for one of the Hammondists and we mic'ed up his non-Leslie speaker too. 

There probably isn't a "normal" way to do something like this but I've found having both non-Leslie and Leslie together sounds more "three dimensional" to me. 

I don´t want hijacking the discussion, but one of the reasons why I like B-3X is, I can mix Leslie (also in stop mode and p.ex. w/ a Hiwatt amp head model replacing the orig Leslie amp) w/ a Marshall 4x12 stack and DI.

The Tube Screamer and graphic EQ in addition makes it more agressive when needed.

The stomp box chorus ... well,- that´s not my prefered chorus FX for organ (if there´s any at all),- I wished there were a phaser like "Compact Phasing ´A`" or "Mutron Phasor II" model,- both mono,- and a ring modulator offering pitch sweep and FX amount control by individual (or the same) MIDI CCs.

I made such ringmod patches w/ Kurz  PC3 KB3 and FX chains.

You know, in the past, I owned both the Compact Phasing A and Mutron Phasor II,- and my prefered chorus effects I owned were Boss CE-300 and Roland Dimension D.

The Boss CE-1 is overrated,- was pseudo stereo ony and very noisy.

I also never understood why people liked the Roland Jazz Chorus amp for (Fender-) Rhodes.

Never was a Mos-Fet transitor amp really better for a Rhodes than a Fender Twin or Dual Showman Reverb Amp,- just only louder when clean, if at all.

It was just only all about the integrated Chorus effect.

Songbird / DynoMy for the Rhodes or Dimension D for Rhodes and everything else are still analog kings of the hill IMO.

But we have (Sharc DSP based) Strymon in hardware department already,- which is excellent gear.

End of hijacking ...

It´s all about  IK MM should deliver the (for me ... :D) right devices for B-3X !

thx for reading IK MM ...

😉

A.C.

11 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I've known a couple of Hammond players who run the speaker in the organ and the Leslie so my way of going about it isn't that different.

My original post was simply making an observation of a strong resonant frequency I noticed in the Leslie cabinet model. @mate stubb addressed that.

To your point, if it's a Hammond A-100 with built-in speakers, you can do that. A B3 (or C3) is not going to have that option so you would need a whole second cabinet. And even if I wanted to replicate that in software, it may not be really simple to find something that closely replicates the sound of the internal speakers/cabinet/preamp/amp of an A-100. 

Yes, some people will prefer to run a Hammond organ with different setups. I might occasionally do that myself. The inventor, Laurens Hammond, detested rotary Leslie speakers. But that has little to do with my point about the small issue I was having with the Leslie cabinet model.

36 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Yeah, the whole thing is pretty complex. Just about anything I download prompts a warning "This is from an unknown developer, are you sure you want to download it" is the one I get all the time. Sometimes I have to go to System Preferences, log in with my account password, unlock the "padlock" and allow something to install. 

So I'm not touting that Mac OS is "better" than Windows, I just know it better so it's easier for me in this situation. I've used both systems and they each have their advantages and their quirks. 😇

No problem !

I also use Mac and PC !

Possibly w/ the exception my Mac stuff is very old (like I am myself).

Using the term "better" for MI gear is, IMO,- dangerous always.

It´s also impossible using it for music (styles) at all.

Music and all the related is in most cases "matter of taste" or p.ex. when it comes to technical things like keyboard actions or equipment behaviour per sé,- kind of individual preferences.

Talent and/or knowledge are the exceptions and I know very well because I really know what I cannot do myself very well and at a given time.

It was always the intention to learn,- what else ... and I love learning ´til I die because I feel younger w/ that.

Positive is, when being creative, It doesn´t matter much.

You dlo your stuff and you´re (hopefully) the 1st doing it ! :D

Negative is, when being forced to re-create what others did being creative before, different things matter.

But that requires a new thread ... :wave:

A.C.

24 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

I don´t want hijacking the discussion, but one of the reasons why I like B-3X is, I can mix Leslie (also in stop mode and p.ex. w/ a Hiwatt amp head model replacing the orig Leslie amp) w/ a Marshall 4x12 stack and DI.

The Tube Screamer and graphic EQ in addition makes it more agressive when needed.

The stomp box chorus ... well,- that´s not my prefered chorus FX for organ (if there´s any at all),- I wished there were a phaser like "Compact Phasing ´A`" or "Mutron Phasor II" model,- both mono,- and a ring modulator offering pitch sweep and FX amount control by individual (or the same) MIDI CCs.

I guess if you wanted to specifically add whatever effects you wished, you would have to use B-3X for just the organ and then also have the T-Racks/Amplitube Leslie so that you can route whatever you want in between. Not the most ideal setup, and it may introduce a tiny bit of latency, but I guess it would achieve the end result. Other than that, there is the official wish list on the IK Multimedia forum. You could try requesting specific types of effects on there for a future version.

14 minutes ago, funkyhammond said:

My original post was simply making an observation of a strong resonant frequency I noticed in the Leslie cabinet model. @mate stubb addressed that.

To your point, if it's a Hammond A-100 with built-in speakers, you can do that. A B3 (or C3) is not going to have that option so you would need a whole second cabinet. And even if I wanted to replicate that in software, it may not be really simple to find something that closely replicates the sound of the internal speakers/cabinet/preamp/amp of an A-100. 

Yes, some people will prefer to run a Hammond organ with different setups. I might occasionally do that myself. The inventor, Laurens Hammond, detested rotary Leslie speakers. But that has little to do with my point about the small issue I was having with the Leslie cabinet model.

Sorry if I offended you, so many threads on MPN start one way and veer off here and there. It is part of what I enjoy about posting here, we are all different. 

And, there simply is no ONE "Hammond Sound". The original organs were never built to those tolerances and components drift over time. Changes were made in circuits as new things were learned or older components were no longer available.

Tubes are seated in sockets because they wear out and no longer work. For the most part, tubes were not built to precision specifications either and different brands of tubes do sound different. Hammond purchased tubes from a variety of vendors over the decades and used what they had. 

If you are happy with your tone that's all that matters. Cheers, Kuru

9 minutes ago, funkyhammond said:

...  if it's a Hammond A-100 with built-in speakers, you can do that. A B3 (or C3) is not going to have that option so you would need a whole second cabinet. And even if I wanted to replicate that in software, it may not be really simple to find something that closely replicates the sound of the internal speakers/cabinet/preamp/amp of an A-100. [/quote]

I know what you mean,- but it´s also more or less meaningless, sorry.

From software, YOU get the sound you want,- or not.

It´s a compromize,- a compromize which becomes smaller and smaller since that technologie was in it´s childshoes and depended/ depends (still) on ressources,- called CPU (or DSP) power.

In your age, you get what´s available (for the money).

This was not different w/ the hardware.

The hardware might sound better, but the companies delivering went bankrupt or simply gave up.

Pro musicians, producers and audio enginers w/ big ears became some kind of rarity themselves,- the consumer is the one dominating the market, period.

It´s not new,- no ?

9 minutes ago, funkyhammond said:

It´s all meaningless what others did in the past.

Do what you like with what´s available today,- and be carefull w/ purchases !

Too many promises,- you know ...

A.C.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KuruPrionz said:

Sorry if I offended you, so many threads on MPN start one way and veer off here and there. It is part of what I enjoy about posting here, we are all different. 

And, there simply is no ONE "Hammond Sound". The original organs were never built to those tolerances and components drift over time. Changes were made in circuits as new things were learned or older components were no longer available.

Tubes are seated in sockets because they wear out and no longer work. For the most part, tubes were not built to precision specifications either and different brands of tubes do sound different. Hammond purchased tubes from a variety of vendors over the decades and used what they had. 

If you are happy with your tone that's all that matters. Cheers, Kuru

No offense taken. I've played different Hammonds and Leslies and am aware of the differences. I also know in what ways they sound very similar. Anyway, I just wasn't sure if you were originally trying to respond to the point in my original post. It sounds now like you weren't. No problem.

4 minutes ago, funkyhammond said:

INot the most ideal setup, ...

How can you tell ?

WHAT´S "the ideal setup" and for whom ?

and it may introduce a tiny bit of latency,...

That´s what many plugins introdsuce, especially those using "lookahead".

I can imagine processing impulse responses (that is what amp sims are) needs some "time".

You know, justr only by age, I´m not the typicval DAW guy.

I can deal w/ some latency (as also keyboard actions b.t.w.).

but I guess it would achieve the end result. Other than that, there is the official wish list on the IK Multimedia forum. You could try requesting specific types of effects on there for a future version.

I give a s##t on a manufacturer´s "official" wish list or forums.

In fact, I live w/ that I alresady have and use it,- all the other needs too much time,- at least for me.

OTOH, I´m here complaining somewhat,- but that´s because I´m here since a long time in the hope to be someone of the hundereds of thousands or users having some impact on MI.

A.C.

1 minute ago, Al Coda said:

How can you tell ?

WHAT´S "the ideal setup" and for whom ?

That's not at all what I meant. I meant that it may not be ideal to have to break up the organ and rotary as separate VSTs just so you can insert whatever effect you want. I was basically agreeing with your gripe.

1 minute ago, Al Coda said:

I give a s##t on a manufacturer´s "official" wish list or forums.

Okay, it was just a suggestion. I was just trying to be helpful.

4 hours ago, funkyhammond said:

That's not at all what I meant. I meant that it may not be ideal to have to break up the organ and rotary as separate VSTs just so you can insert whatever effect you want. I was basically agreeing with your gripe.

Okay, it was just a suggestion. I was just trying to be helpful.

Curiosity question since you don't mention it in your OP. 

Are you putting a live rig together or recording?

16 hours ago, funkyhammond said:

I guess if you wanted to specifically add whatever effects you wished, you would have to use B-3X for just the organ and then also have the T-Racks/Amplitube Leslie so that you can route whatever you want in between. Not the most ideal setup, and it may introduce a tiny bit of latency, but I guess it would achieve the end result. Other than that, there is the official wish list on the IK Multimedia forum. You could try requesting specific types of effects on there for a future version.

Well, when IK MM won´t add any other or more stomp box type devices w/ future updates,- I´ll have several options nonetheless and don´t even have to use this organ and/or Amplitube FX for.

I´m also a fan of using organ w/o leslie and own other amp sims and VSTfx as well, so no problem.

The meaning of my post was more about I wondered why IK MM decided for exactly the BOSS CE-1 chorus while deciding against a phaser and ringmod,- just because the organ running into ringmod, phaser and into Marshall stacks as also Leslies in addition was exactly Jon Lord´s 70s rig.

And sorry for being harsh when I said I don´t give a s##t on user forum´s wishlists.

It´s all about I don´t have time to wait for long for improvements,- I´m too old for this now.

Overemphasized drawbar harmonics,-

I used the default preset "Hammond B3-X", went on the "advanced" page and swapped the 4 organ/tonewheel models.

IMO there´s slight overemphasis recognizable w/ all the models,-. but on different keys,- and the 3. 1956 B3  introduces the most of.

It might also come from different Leslie amps and cabinets as also interaction  w/ Hiwatt- and Marshall sims and cabs,- and I´m not sure if it qualifies for a bug.

☺️

A.C.

Just to add to the fun.

I use the B3X and I have the Leslie that I can use in stand alone, as well

Now then this isn't helpful for windows users but I have not noticed the Percussion/Volume issue using Mac.  I will test today and see if I can recreate OP issue on my setup.

I had not used B3X for awhile in my live rig but brought it back out last weekend since I got a new Macbook

On my New MacBook Pro M1 14", B3X absolutely screams, and its GUI loads "right now"

On older Intel systems, it was a CPU hog.  Not so much on my new setup.

I really like I can route thru my own AMP simulators from other IK TRACS amps I have.

Again, I'll jump onto the rig later today and see about some of these quirks mentioned.

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

20 hours ago, Al Coda said:

I also never understood why people liked the Roland Jazz Chorus amp for (Fender-) Rhodes.

Yamaha made a "Bucket Brigade" rack mount chorus that was so much better on Rhodes.  Wish I still had one.  

YamahaBucket.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

Yamaha made a "Bucket Brigade" rack mount chorus that was so much better on Rhodes.  Wish I still had one.  

I owned that too when a Fender Rhodes was my only instrument.

Bought it as a replacement for my fragile Binson Echorec PE-603 tube version.

☺️

A.C.

10 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

Just to add to the fun.

I use the B3X and I have the Leslie that I can use in stand alone, as well

Now then this isn't helpful for windows users but I have not noticed the Percussion/Volume issue using Mac.  I will test today and see if I can recreate OP issue on my setup.

I had not used B3X for awhile in my live rig but brought it back out last weekend since I got a new Macbook

I´d be surprised when the fast/slow perc. decay loudness difference issue would be non-existend for MAC users.

On my New MacBook Pro M1 14", B3X absolutely screams, and its GUI loads "right now"

I bought B-3X because it´s M1 ready and I plan buying a M1 Mac sooner or later this year.

My Lenovo laptop is originally reserved for S|C XITE-1 use,- just because it offers a PCIexpresscard slot still.

But I use this laptop for plugin tests for the time being and it works for almost everything.

B-3X doesn´t introduce any issues while playing,- no clicks, pops or any other artefacts,- once it´s loaded completely.

In Reaper,- it needs something between 10 -15 sec. until I see the GUI,- and there are 3 more plugins running always which I use to prevent from unwanted digital overdrive/distortion,- ReaLimit in VSTi channel, Voxengo  Span and LoudMax in main out.

It´s more a graphics issue I guess.

I can play it immediatedly once I loaded a track template into project and don´t see the GUI.

Playing clusters and slurs across the manuals results in 12 -14% CPU load and incl. the add. plugins mentioned above,- playing "normal" stuff results in about 6 -12% CPU (B-3X preset "Burner").

It´s ASIO4ALL, not the very best ASIO driver,- 256samples/44.1K.

So, I won´t say it´s a CPU hog on (ancient) Intel i7 quad core 2.5 GHz (Hasswell/Broadwell), 6MB  cache processor and 16Gigs of RAM is plenty.

With XITE-1 as the interface, I can do @128 samples w/ ease,- but it´s currently connected to my 4U rackmount DAW.

There´s another plugin existing I got graphics issues with,- Arturia Pigments 3.

When I tried the demo,- because it didn´t open it´s GUI as something unrecognizable/unreadable at all, it became unusable on both, my rackmount DAW as also this laptop.

B-3X in general loads relatively quick in standalone mode,- until it reaches the very last 2 -3 milimeters of the progress bar.

I didn´t found out what it does then,- maybe trying to call home or whatelse.

In Reaper as a host, it´s a different story.

I´d have to install also on my rackmount DAW and try Presonus Studio One Pro, Reason and Traktion to get more results.

But my rackmount DAW is still Win7 Pro x64.

Ironically, on Win7 Pro x64, Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II introduces clicks and pops caused by graphic issues (anaimation of virtual keys and pitch-/ mod- levers)

Unfortunately it´s not possible to defeat ´em all.

My laptop uses Intel graphics (iGPU) and a dedicated Nvidia graphics card.

I cannot decide for the one or the other in (UEFI / BIOS) because firmware seems to balance usage on load.

In my rackmount DAW, I only use Intel graphics (iGPU) because the 1st PCIX (graphics card) slot shares ressources w/ the fastest M.1 slot I use for Samsung EVO 970 NVMe for NI Komplete 12 Ultimate CE exclusively.

So, I guess it´s all about which library is used for plugin graphics,- many use JUICE,- and how it´s been handled by in the machine used hardware components.

Not a Windows vs MacOS issue per sé.

On older Intel systems, it was a CPU hog.  Not so much on my new setup.

See above "CPU load" ...

I really like I can route thru my own AMP simulators from other IK TRACS amps I have.

Again, I'll jump onto the rig later today and see about some of these quirks mentioned.

Yeah. let us know what you´ve found out on your system please !

☺️

A.C.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:33 PM, KuruPrionz said:

Curiosity question since you don't mention it in your OP. 

Are you putting a live rig together or recording?

That's still an open question. Right now, it's mostly for recording/playing at home. I'm just getting back into some live playing now after a few years and putting together a new live rig. For now, I'm using VB3-II and T-Racks Leslie at home, and maybe will also use it live, but I prefer a hardware setup for live. I did experiment a bit with using VB3-II live a few years ago. Once I have a chance to try the new Hammond SK(X) Pro, I might wind up buying that and be back with hardware. But, if not, I might stick with VB3-II or get B-3X. I'm not as picky with other sounds for live, but I want my Hammond organ sound to be just as inspirational to me live as my home organ clone setup. I no longer have the real thing at home.

BTW, I stupidly hadn't tried the different Leslie cabinets in the B-3X demo. It turns out the default 122 cab is the only one strongly resonating that frequency I was talking about but the other cabinets don't (or they have other resonating frequencies that are not quite as strong). On first impressions, I prefer the 122, overall, for its full sound, robust bass, and mellow highs, but I think with a bit of EQ I can get what I want out of the other cabinets or tone down the resonating frequency in the 122.  

• Like 1