Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ipad. How do you keep the screen on ALL the time when using an instrument app?

D. Gauss

3 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

hmmm... i got nothing for that there.  (latest ipad mini 6)

Search for auto-lock, and then set it to never.

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Also be sure to turn on Airplane Mode to save on battery life and so that your phone calls do not go through your sound system. Could be embarrassing....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 3/25/2022 at 8:45 PM, drawback said:

As long as apps are running and wired to a controller, screen stays on.

not sure why, but mine does not.  (casio ct-s1, into a USB-c Hub for power and audio out, into ipad 6 mini  )

The only solution I can think of is to turn on Never Sleep when you’re going to use it for music - kind of a hassle though. A long shot could be how Guided Access is set up, although that’s probably got nothing to do with the problem you’re having. 

What instrument apps are you running?

Here for the gear.

I thought I had mine on never sleep but it went to sleep at my last gig.  Not the end of the world, once the three apps I use are up I don't often need to actually look at it.

I had a bad moment at that last gig where I saw the power level (which unfortunately was at 75% when I started the gig) was going down despite being plugged in.  B-3X is a power hog but in the past the power charging would at least keep it steady.  I have the ipad in airplane mode.  Turns out I must have turned the brightness to 100% at home and that made a giant difference.  I turned it way back down and the charge then started creeping up like usual.

I'm looking forward to not having to deal with this honestly.  I love the sound of B-3X but the ipad feels like a weak link in my rig.  Having had the occasional glitch and IOS popup right before the gig started ("would you like to install an OS update to use your peripheral") haven't given me warm fuzzies, and I dislike the extra cabling needed.

There is no setting named "never sleep" that I see, I had to google and it looks like you're referring to auto-lock, which has already been mentioned in this thread. Mine is set to never, and I also put my iPad in airplane mode and turn on "do not disturb" when on a gig ("Focus" in the Control Center). Never had any issues with my screen going dark. Connecting midi via bluetooth LE so I can turn pages in ForScore from my keyboard, that's a much different story!

I use Guided access mode with Forscore, which means that the screen can blank if you're not using it, but it never locks because you've selected one app to be able to be used. So then you tap the screen and it's immediately awake again. Also you never risk accidentally closing the app either.

I have a new iPad Pro 13 inch which is wonderful for Korg module and Model D. I keep my brightness at about 40% (which is plenty considering the stage lighting). The battery lasts for five hours with these apps, but I always recharge after the 2nd set. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D