Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ever wrap your board in a mover's blanket?

I have a Nord Stage 3 (73 key) that's reasonably light and easy to carry.  I don't feel like buying a carrying case for it.  I'm probably going to be schlepping it to my church service gigs a few times a month, carrying it from basement to my car, etc.  I want to protect it in case I accidentally knock it into the wall going up the stairs.  I would love a super light-weight wrap or sleeve to stick it in or wrap around it and then just carry it around like that.  Anybody have a creative solution to this ask?  (Please don't say "xyz Gator cases are really light and really cheap").  

• Haha 1

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

Waaaay back when I was gigging on the road 6 nights a week I had cases for all my gear except for my ARP Explorer. If you've ever had one, you know the build quality is beyond cheap. All plastic with a flimsy piece or hardboard on the bottom. I wrapped it up in a thick blanket and it got packed in one of the trucks along with everything else. Did this for almost a year and it survived just fine. For something as pricey as a Nord Stage 3, I think I'd want a decent case, but a moving blanket would definitely protect it from bumps and bruises. 

That seems like a possible "oops it slipped out" situation.  I'm not sure I'd be comfy with how well a moving blanket would "grip" a keyboard especially when at an angle on stairs.

If you don't want an expensive case due to the infrequent and easy load ins, I'd just get a really cheap soft case.  Not so much to protect it even, more to minimize the possibility of dropping the thing.

Personally that is often enough and sounds "involved" enough (stairs) that I'd go for a lightweight but decent case.  That said, I've never gotten value back from cases when I sold keyboards, so I understand the reticence :)   Just personally, but if it's a keyboard you intend to keep for many years it makes it easier to justify a decent bag or case.   Just break it down by cost per month :D

Apologies though because I'm basically saying the thing you didn't want to hear.  Just my 2c!

Trouble just wrapping it up in a heavy moving blanket there is no handle or way of closing it unless you get some straps.   Also the ends aren't that covered.   I'd rather have something that zips shut and has a handle for carrying. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stokely said:

That seems like a possible "oops it slipped out" situation.  I'm not sure I'd be comfy with how well a moving blanket would "grip" a keyboard especially when at an angle on stairs.

10 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Trouble just wrapping it up in a heavy moving blanket there is no handle or way of closing it unless you get some straps.   Also the ends aren't that covered.   I'd rather have something that zips shut and has a handle for carrying. 

In addition to those concerns -- moving blankets are notorious for collecting and giving off a lot of DUST, small fibers and FUZZ.   Every time we used those to move furniture, we've had to do a serious dusting after the fact.

I wouldn't wish all that crap on a cheap Casio board -- and especially not a Nord.

Me-thinks you're asking for a lot of trouble............

So I won't say: "xyz Gator cases are really light and really cheap"

But I will say:  XYZ or Gator cases are far superior to a moving blanket.

The board you save may be your own.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Unless you're taping or bungeeing the ends, this is just begging to have your Nord slide through one side or another and hit the floor with a thud louder and more annoying than any suggestion that you use a case of some kind. 

I've done it in the small gaps of time between purchasing a keyboard having the case arrive. Hair-raising every time.

EDIT: Pressed send too slowly. It's all covered there ^^^^^^^^^. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

As others have stated, a moving blanket is just asking for trouble--the keyboard will be very awkward to carry around, and as much as I despise Nord instruments, I wouldn't want to see one slip out of the blanket and drop to the ground.  You are going to be far better off getting a soft case/gig bag for it.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I hadn't thought of the fact that moving pads have lots of dust and fuzz.  guess I'll get a cheap soft case.  grrrrrr.....

60 bucks on a soft case versus 4 grand to replace the top-of-the-line board you're hauling. This one feels like a no-brainer. A lot of the soft gig bags fold easily too; it will take up less room than the moving blanket.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

15 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

60 bucks on a soft case versus 4 grand

That was my first thought too. And I was also picturing a guy arriving at the gig hauling a huge thing wrapped in a blanket...is he a homeless? A murderer with a corpse? Santa Claus out of season?

And SURPRISE! Out of the blanket comes a shiny red $4K keyboard. So maybe he WAS Santa, after all...

2 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

I find a soft gigbag plenty good enough. 

This.

When i purchased my Ensoniq TS-12 (about 60 pounds) it came in a 35 pound hard case.  The case was great, transporting it was a nightmare.  I bought a softcase for it after two moves with the hardcase and eventually sold the hardcase.  All other keyboards I've owned I used a softcase.  I make sure I move my keyboards myself so that they are handled appropriately, if people want to 'help' me I have them carry other things but i move my keys myself.  Soft cases are generally light and not overly expensive and look professional.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

For about eight years, I wrapped my cheap-o VR09 in a cheap-o movers blanket in a cheap-o no-name gig bag until getting a Gator Transit Protective Gig Bag for 61-Note Slim Keyboards at about half-price of new about 9 months ago. Love the backpack straps on the new one.

I've used moving blankets in situations where I've purchased a used keyboard that didn't have the original box, or I didn't have the right case to fit it in for the ride home.   Would recommend duct tape for both ends to keep it tight.  

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

42 minutes ago, jeffinpghpa said:

I've used moving blankets in situations where I've purchased a used keyboard that didn't have the original box, or I didn't have the right case to fit it in for the ride home.   Would recommend duct tape for both ends to keep it tight.  

In 1987, my Korg SG-1 piano finally arrived. A lightweight hard case was available from Korg, at least on paper; in reality they were well back-ordered. Rather that spend big dollars on an Anvil or Star case, I chose to wait for the Korg case to come into being. So for the first year my SG-1 traveled in a moving blanket, complete with bungee cords to secure it.

Post Script of sorts:  I sold a CP-70b to fund the SG-1. No trebuchet needed, after all...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I echo the "get a case" sentiments. Gig bags are fine if your use is that kind of casual. Otherwise, look upon it as very cheap gear insurance. Sweetwater lists SKB 61-note cases with rollers at $351 and up. With. Rollers. 😁 I like the earlier nod to the $4k keyboard needing TLC. Put the mover's blanket on your back seat and slide the SKB in like a champ! Its also an investment you can use with other instruments if needed. Its as vital as stands and pedals.

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

Just Hammonds, on ROKs and a moving blanket.  Bur that doesn't really count I suppose.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

How about the box it came in?  I’ve resorted to this many times with infrequently used gear, or gear I was reluctant to pony up for a case/bag.  Have always admired the fully cased musicians, but the cost and trouble for doing it well is beyond me. 

Even just a basic bag can work well if it has shoulder straps.

When I moved to Southern CA using a 20’ UHaul, I didn’t have a box or a bag for my ES110, so I used lots of cardboard and bubble wrap.  It worked very well, but was a hassle to do, and you might lose some street cred if you show up with something that looks like it was just delivered or possibly straight out of the trash!

As much as a keyboard rig can be a lot of schleppage, I take comfort in how much worse drummers have it!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

OK, there's been lots of responses here and I want to jump in and clarify things a little, for what it's worth.

It appears that most people think my reluctance to buy a case is because I didn't want to spend the money, which is kinda crazy since a Stage 3 is over $4K to start with.

The truth is that somehow in my goofy brain, I had convinced myself that it is "easier and quicker" to just wrap a light-weight board in a blanket, wrap my arms around it and carry it up the stairs to the car.  Plus it's easier to maneuver this into a smallish car than something in a bulkier case.

Understand that I have NEVER been a gigging musician that has had to cart gear around all the time.  I'm a finance guy who has worked in office settings my whole life and my gigs have been 100% Sunday church services.  Plus, I'm 68 years old with a bad back who is always looking for the easy way out when occasionally moving stuff around.

Having endured the abuse that I deserved from you seasoned professionals, I have come to realize that it's actually EASIER to plop a Nord Stage into a soft case, zip it shut  and carry it up the stairs than it is to plop a Nord Stage onto a moving blanket and carry that up the stairs.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back for me is eric's post above, who recently celebrated his 20th anniversary on this board.  I have always admired Eric and his cool Leslie in a boat avatar, so I had no choice but to fall on my knees, repent for my stupidity, and ask you all for forgiveness.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I got a 76-key soft gig bag from Musicians Friend (their own brand) for about $30 a few years ago. Prices have since gone up (of course), now they cost around $50, and the 61-key versions around $45. Gator brand a little more expensive.

When I bought my PC3 (used) a few years ago, it came with a very nice SKB hard flight case. But combined, it was too much weight. That's why I bought the soft gig bag. I still have the SKB in the basement, might sell it off soon.

Speaking about moving blankets: About 20 years ago, before I knew how to properly package a keyboard for eBay shipment... I sold off a Yamaha YS-200, and stupidly wrapped it in a moving blanket (instead of bubble wrap) before boxing it up. Needless to say, it arrived damaged to the buyer, and I had to refund him and eat the loss.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

No shame-  in a pinch you do what you need to do.

In an act of unintentional insult to Hammond users everywhere,  for a few weeks I used the box from the SKX I sold to carry my Mojo Classic (wrapped in a comforter....)  while waiting for a  proper Mojo case to arrive. 

A keyboard friend of mine often sarcastically says " Nord is pretty proud of their accessoires".  After he had to buy the Nord music stand rack for $150.00.  I like Nord's  black plush  interior bag and all, but $250.00 for a soft gig bag?

Someone above mentioned the old  great Korg SG1.  Sold mine, but  kept SG semi rigid gig bag.  I first put my  NS2C in a 61 note soft bag, and then put that into the Korg case.   I wouldn't fly with it, but works fine for car to gig use.   

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Note the keyboards measurements and look on-line. I needed a case for an old Kurzweil SP that I use as a controller at rehearsal, but really didn’t want to spend much money on it. I found it fit perfectly in a brand new Yamaha Piaggero soft case - for $50.

So shop around.

I find it real interesting the people who spend big bucks on a keyboard then (I'll be nice) get frugal on a gigbag or case.   I bet they will be the ones that scream the loudest if a knob or something breaks or board gets a ding moving their $$$ keyboard. 

22 hours ago, MrVegas said:

OK, there's been lots of responses here and I want to jump in and clarify things a little, for what it's worth.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back for me is eric's post above, who recently celebrated his 20th anniversary on this board.  I have always admired Eric and his cool Leslie in a boat avatar, so I had no choice but to fall on my knees, repent for my stupidity, and ask you all for forgiveness.  

Hi there - I wanted to say sorry for coming off as a little bit harsh in my message and appreciate your comments and notice of the avatar (credit goes to longtime forum member zeronyne for making that one a long time ago).

Anyways, being a little bit less snarky about it 😀 I do think that you'd be happy with the Nord brand gig bag and it is what I use for light duty, such as taking my NS3 Compact to rehearsals or up into my music room from the garage. I have a flight case that I use for most gigs, as I simply don't feel comfortable loading into clubs and stages, particularly when doing shows with other bands and the gear is waiting side stage. The flight case keeps things really safe as one could stand on it and the keyboard would be protected.

For easy moves like in and out of the car to rehearsal and into the music room, my trusty Nord soft bag has been perfect. I believe there are also other companies that make a similar type of case. The real watch-out for using a moving blanket is you don't really have a handle and if something goes wrong or gets out of balance while you're carrying it, you could bump the keyboard or drop it by accident. Having the case with a handle and/or backpack straps makes it a lot safer to transport.

• Like 1

I am sort of a fanatic for good cases.  I have been known to spend more on cases than the cost of the gear contained within, on occasion.  The only company I ever really pined for an endorsement deal from is Pelican.  So I know my recommendations on cases tend to be overkill.

Having said that, I really do feel the official Nord gig bag is *so* worth the premium for self-handling situations.  They are perfectly sized, adding hardly any bulk, which makes it so easy to toss them in a smaller vehicle.  The handle is comfy.  The build quality is great.

And if circumstances change and you ever need a more heavy-duty case for it, you can just buy a Pelican 1750 with no foam.  The NS3C in the official Nord gig bag fits inside perfectly, with room for a pedal or two at the end of the case.  And it's <50lbs all-in, so you can fly with it as checked baggage and be within standard weight limits.  I've flown with this setup over a hundred times with no damage.  Bring it on a work trip, throw it on the hotel room ironing board, plug in some headphones, you're set.

• Like 2

OK I'm looking at Sweetwater and they recommend a soft case for the Stage 3 76 which costs $599.  The dimensions of the 76 weighted key version that I own are about 5x14x44.  This bag is overkill because it has the end handle and wheels that I don't need or want .... too bulky.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordGB76--nord-soft-case-for-nord-stage-76

There is a Nord soft case for their $299 smaller 73 key board that looks like it might work for my 76 board.  It says the internal measurements are 4.33x13x44.48.  Can I squeeze my larger board into this case?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordGB73--nord-soft-case-for-73-key-keyboards

Based on the dimensions you gave, you'd probably be best off with this case for the Electro HP models, it seems like your Stage 3 would fit.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper