Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Z-stand

Hello everyone,

Back for more advice...

I recently decided to ditch my x-stand because of legroom/pedal issues (i.e., there was no room for my knees underneath the thing, much less my sustain and swell pedals.) I picked up a nice Gator Frameworks heavy duty table/platform style stand which has loads of room for both pedals and legs, but it wobbles a bit. Previously, this wouldn't have bothered me much; but since I also recently picked up a Nord music stand v2 for my Electro, it's become annoying: The music stand attaches directly to the Nord, so when the Nord shakes, so does the stand (and so does my music).

I am considering returning the table/platform style stand and trying a Z-style stand in hopes of solving both the legroom/pedal problem and the wobble problem. I only have one keyboard, so no need for a second tier; and I won't be gigging much, so portability isn't a major concern. My budget is around $150.

A salesperon recommended the Roland KS-10Z, and I wondered if anyone has tried it and could comment on stability and leg/pedal room. (It appears to have a large and possibly low cross-brace, and wondered if that might be problematic for a swell pedal.) I've also seen a similar On-Stage stand, and wondered if anyone could comment on that as well.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I love the OnStage Z-Stand. You could fire artillery at the thing and hardly dent it. Super stable, no wobble. A little bit heavy I suppose but not too bad especially considering you don't need a second tier. If I'm rocking one keyboard on the gig it's my go-to stand.

I'm about 5'6" and I have no issues at all with leg room. A super lanky person might have problems maybe? Not sure.

• Like 2

Nord: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D

Casio: PX-5S

Yamaha: P-121

Novation: MiniNova, BSII, Circuit

DSI Mopho x4

+1 for the OnStage Z-stand.  I have the two-tier version, but I can also vouch for its stability and durability.  It'll hold my 95lb RD-1000 without any wobble at all.

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Oh, that's really good to hear! Yeah, heavy is OK since I don't plan on moving it that often; I'm mostly concerned with eliminating the wobble, and making sure that I can comfortably fit and play my pedals underneath the thing. (I'm 5'7", so no problem there with being long and lanky, either. :-))

Just to make sure, this would be the On-Stage KS7350, yes?

Z-Stands are my favourite stands. I've had two – OnStage and Hercules. The OnStage has been my home stand for years. I preferred the Hercules for gigs by a slim margin because of the tabs.

Here for the gear.

Awesome! I harbor hopes of eventually getting bass pedals, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon--and might involve changing my whole rig. 🙂

Good to know about the Hercules, too! I've seen pics of it, and should have asked about it in my original post. 

I have an onstage Z that I used for many a gig in the two tier mode.   It isn't the best for transporting, which is the reason I now use it at home.   If single tier, it's a fair bit easier to handle.

I'm tall and often play standing so the Z has the advantage of being able to get up higher than X stands while still being just as stable.  The ONLY instability issue I noticed was if you have a keyboard on the 2nd tier, it can tip over backwards with a bit of a push.  How easily would depend on the height settings and weights of the two keyboards.

It's fairly easy to switch between standing and sitting as well.  Some gigs the stages are so tight I opt to sit so I need a stand that can handle this.

1 hour ago, Lyon said:

I'll really only be using it in sitting position with a single tier, so that all sounds good!

Then you will love it.  Also in your price range.  The two tier is over $200 now, and I bought my last one for $120 last year.  

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Wow, that's a serious price hike!

Of the single-tier ones mentioned in this thread, the prices seem to be roughly as follows:

Roland KS-10Z $140

On-Stage KS7350 $156 

Hercules KS400B  $165

Based on what everyone has said, I think I'm going to go for the On-Stage.

I have the Roland and love it's stability. It's not set up right now for me to try again for the cross brace issue. But I've never had a problem with it.

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

I have the OnStage 2-Teir Z stand. It’s great, super solid, and super customizable. Disassembly/assembly at a gig take time though- it comes apart into 6 pieces. Depending on how far you fold it up, I would recommend marking your heights and angles in some way, and maybe even how far you spread it open. I drive a huge van so I actually just throw mine in the vehicle fully assembled.

Yep, On Stage does have the best firmness and rigidity of all Z-stands I've ever tried (with possible exception of Quik-Lok, pre-2005 or so).

I always use threads like this as an opportunity to show my unusual On Stage 2-Tier Non-Adjustable Z-Stand that I bought back in the early 00's, which is no longer made by them. Like TJ Cornish, I just leave mine assembled and pack it into my mini-SUV. I like the way that the second-tier arms are permanently welded on, and that those arms are made of the same rectangular tube-steel (or in this case, aluminum) as the lower tier arms. And that the lower-tier arms are of the same width (distance from each other) as the upper-tier arms (which makes the whole stand, when assembled, smaller in width than typical Z-stands). Second tier is non-adjustable and non-tiltable... but I like it this way. Less parts to come off or get broken. Painted mine red a couple years ago, for a little extra 'bling'.

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

For a keyboard that stays at home, and when you only need one tier, I can't see spending the bigger bucks for an on-stage when these are all over Amazon. They're obviously a Chinese brand-du-jour, but I can attest to mine being as rock-solid as any stand I've ever owned. Made from heavy-gauge steel, you can find some with wheels, some without (like this Pyle), also straps, headphone hook, etc. This is not the kind of stand to gig with. Mine holds my 60 lb+ KX88 and I'm very happy with it. One caveat is that the arms are long, not an issue for me but might be for some.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T6B8HPR/

This is mine, which now that I look at it seems to be slightly different, it has two tightening knobs on the horizontal brace:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I5QTQI/

And, in action:

kx on stand.jpg

Thanks for the tip! Even though portability isn't my main concern, I'd still like the option of breaking it down/moving it relatively easily, either for storage or the occasional performance; so I'm still looking forward to trying the On-Stage. 

They do come apart, pretty easily too. Just into a lot of separate parts - screws, knobs, and individual pieces of steel tubing. That's why I said "not for gigging." Depending on how often you're needing to break them down, I might not consider it too much of a liability. If you're only moving it somewhere I see no reason to take it apart. But if this isn't gonna be 100% for home use, I would probably look elsewhere. Good luck with the On-Stage! I have their cheapest X-Stand, which works fine for me since my keyboard is a 10 lb. 61-key model and I don't mind a little shakin'.

I've got two of their double-braced X-stands, and they're both pretty solid.  Great if I'm just bringing the MODX-7 to a gig or a jam session, and very quick setup with the clutch design.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Hey folks,

The On-Stage arrived last week. It was a breeze to set up, looked great...and it wobbled.

Not as much as the X-stand. Maybe even a smidgen less than the platform stand--though that would have been a close match. But enough for the Nord music stand to shake.

The problem seemed to be the 2 top "arms," which had noticeable play even after snapping into place with those little spring-loaded doohickeys.

If I played very gently, no problem. If I got even a little aggressive, wobble wobble.

Maybe I got a defective unit. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations. I really thought the stand was well-designed and engineered, except for the play in those arms.

In any case, I'm going back to the platform style. If the thing's gonna shake a bit anyhow (and I can live with that), might as well get something that's wide-open underneath for legs and pedals.

Thanks again for all the input--this was a very worthwhile experiment!

He's probably referring to the spring-loaded buttons on the sides of the supports.  Interesting because mine has never had any wobble at all.  Again, not even with my 95lb RD-1000 on top of it.

Hardware

Software

Yes, that's it--the spring-loaded buttons. I wonder if I just got a defective unit, or if it was damaged during shipping. It could also have been a used/returned item, even though I purchased it new. (There were a few scratches on the unit.)

Anyhow, the play was immediately noticeable as soon as I assembled the stand: the buttons snapped into place, but the arms jiggled in their brackets. That continued once the Electro was in place. No pics, I'm afraid; I've already returned it. 

Using Quiklok Z726s and have done for years - can't find much to fault them, quick to knock down and very stable

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

16 hours ago, Lyon said:

Yes, that's it--the spring-loaded buttons. I wonder if I just got a defective unit, or if it was damaged during shipping. It could also have been a used/returned item, even though I purchased it new. (There were a few scratches on the unit.)

Anyhow, the play was immediately noticeable as soon as I assembled the stand: the buttons snapped into place, but the arms jiggled in their brackets. That continued once the Electro was in place. No pics, I'm afraid; I've already returned it. 

Mine don't have spring loaded anything. I just bought one a year or so ago and it didn't have anything spring loaded either. Did you get this one?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd2Tier--on-stage-stands-ks7365-ej-pro-heavy-duty-folding-z-stand-with-2nd-tier