Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Those folks using Mac mini - do you allow it to access internet?

miden

Juts thinking about this while setting it up - would it be better to download all the apps via the windows PC and transfer to the mini, or as it is Apple software and OS, it'd be safe to allow it to access the internet?

The plan is to use the mini ONLY for music and audio (DAW) applications and the windows pc for games and internet.

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I access the internet on the Mac laptops I have been using for the last ten years. They are quite stable. During gigs and rehearsals, wifi and bluetooth are off and I avoid bluetooth based peripherals. Others may have different experiences. 

• Like 1

From my SysAdmin days we'd say...  the only safe computer is one unplug and buried six feet underground and we're still suspicious.     

I worry more about the download source than what platform the download machine is on.   So if you have an old Mac around use it as computer to test downloads on before putting them on your production computers.   It all about what makes you feel safe in the long run.  

• Like 3

Some VSTs require internet access at least once to activate. I doubt they let you activate on one machine and then install on another, since at least part of the reason for that activation is presumably copy protection to lock the VST to the computer you're authorizing from. So you may not have a choce. Personally, I'm perfectly comfortable with that on a Mac, but wish I didn't have to do it on WIndows.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, I have Internet access enabled on my M1 Mac mini, and I plan to do the same with my incoming M1 Max Mac Studio.

No, I don't use my studio computers for casual web browsing - just for what I need to access (plugin manufacturers, my iLok account, etc.) and use separate MacBook Pros for other tasks. 

• Like 2

okay doky,  from the sound of it,  it is ok for doing the necessaries and I'll do it that way.

Thanks all

PS: had this been a Windows PC, I wouldn't need to ask - MAC is totally new to me...it is different to iOS in subtle ways

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Another option is to have an admin account that you only use to admin from. You may feel comfortable using this account for your studio or audio account, or if you don’t - create a non admin account for your studio work.  Then an additional non admin account for internet use.  That should provide some decent peace of mind regarding malware, viruses, etc.   

Related to performance, having used a lot of Macs over the years (pre and post OSX and Intel) I can’t say I ever complained about CPU spiking or a DPC Latency issue caused by the stock apple nic card or wireless adapter.  I have had third party devices that misbehaved where it was better to disable them when doing timing critical or high cpu use work.  But it’s never a bad idea to have less stuff running, including an active internet connection when using your computer as a DAW or live instrument.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

9 hours ago, Docbop said:

...if you have an old Mac around use it as computer to test downloads on before putting them on your production computers.   It all about what makes you feel safe in the long run. 

Make sure this old Mac can run the target software. Some sources detect your system and do not allow you to download something that will not run on your connected system. This goes for the platform, OS and version of the OS. I do not know whether it is done with music software but I have an application that can only run on a single or limited number of authorized systems and the only way to authorize them involves the system being online so testing it on an older system would have limited effect.

Of course! I don't understand this concept of keeping your computer off the internet. This concept only seems to be prevalent among musicians, too. I frequent forums for photography, 3D software, and video editing, and I've never once seen anyone bring up the idea of keeping their computer sequestered from the internet. In fact, it would be virtually impossible to do those jobs creatively and not be connected to the internet. And I can't image dealing with the inconvenience of downloading updates on one computers, moving them to another computer, and installing them. And of course, now that so much software requires online activation, the additional jumps you'd have to jump through to deal with that would be a massive waste of time. Viruses and malware don't appear on your computer just because it's connected to the internet. If you're worried about malicious software from questionable sources on your computer, then don't download software from questionable sources. 

• Like 1

IMO, it's mostly about what makes one "feel" safe that drives one's behaviors wrt going online with a computer you depend on for work. Facts may not matter much. Guilty as charged – I don't have an "old Mac" to test software downloads, but I do have my internal SSD partitioned into two volumes that each have an identical system (Mojave). One partition/system is for "everyday" computer usage, and yes, occasionally testing music software. The other partition's system is one I left alone after the install, not signed into my Apple account, and zero 3rd-party software other than what I need to do gigs with. I do occasionally go online with it though - usually to update drivers or other music sw. This has worked well for me, but I'll admit there's a good possibility I would be just as safe having one system for everything.

My Mac Mini never goes online except to download or update music stuff.

Not because I'm afraid to, but because it lives in a gig rack and is usually stored with the rest of the rig between shows.   I have other computers for daily life.

Pre-MacMini, when all I ad was my old Macbook Pro, not only was it my Mainstage computer, it was also my daily life computer.  I never, ever had any issues.  I simply followed safe practices, as anyone should.

At gigs, everything not needs was turned off, WiFi, any background programs, etc.

• Like 2

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

23 hours ago, miden said:

Juts thinking about this while setting it up - would it be better to download all the apps via the windows PC and transfer to the mini, or as it is Apple software and OS, it'd be safe to allow it to access the internet?

The plan is to use the mini ONLY for music and audio (DAW) applications and the windows pc for games and internet.

You don't want to try this. If it is an Apple app, download on your Apple. You do want some protection on your Mac when you are connected to the internet. I use Intego with no performance penalties. However, if I am gigging, everything I don't need is off, including internet.

• Like 1

Most of the time, my Mini is off-line. Maybe 2 or 3 times a month I hook it up, log on and see if anything needs updated. 

Doesn't take long, pretty harmless I think. 

On the other hand, a friend of mine has a PC and installed version 1 of Presonus Studio One and has stayed there for many years. He's kept it off line and had zero problems with viruses or glitchy software. 

If you can get your work done, I see no harm in that approach. You will probably miss out on some great improvements but also on some fairly stupid stuff too. 

I've learned to deal with it, I like it when things become easier and/or sound better. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.