Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ID this rotating speaker (Jamiroquai)

Several brands of cabinets with actual rotating speakers exist - Pink Floyd's Gilmour used the Yamaha RA-200 (wrong axis for this  video, though) and the Doppola systems that were custom-built for the Division Bell tour. 

The "Comfortably Numb" sound is an RA-200. 

There's a Maestro Rover as well, so there's probably a few others, but I haven't found that particular build yet.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 3/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, Outkaster said:

Not sure.  Looks like a prop honestly.  I haven't ever seen anything like that.

If it isn't a prop, it seems like it would need to use slip ring contacts since the whole speaker is rotating. So it would probably be pretty expensive. Somebody's custom hack?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The dimensions don't match.

I wrote to the person ("Robin." In the US it would be a female, but I think it's someone in the UK, and their Robins are mostly dudes for some reason. First the wrong pronunciation of "aluminum" and now this) who directed the video, but that person--American dude or British dudette--hasn't written back. I think I'll just write to Jay Kay or Jamiroquai's Twitter feed and see if they answer.

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

3 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

I wrote to the person ("Robin." In the US it would be a female, but I think it's someone in the UK, and their Robins are mostly dudes for some reason. First the wrong pronunciation of "aluminum" and now this) who directed the video, but that person--American dude or British dudette--hasn't written back. I think I'll just write to Jay Kay or Jamiroquai's Twitter feed and see if they answer.

You are a man of action!

5 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

It might be easier to contact Matt Johnson, their current keyboardist (and like you, a Keyboard Chronicles alum). He’s pretty active on social media so he should be easy to reach. I don’t think he was with the band back then, but he could ask around the band and such and find out. 

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI