Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

set list for piano trio gig playing "New Orleans/Mardi Gras" stuff

cedar

I've got a cocktail hour/piano trio gig tomorrow, and was asked to play some "New Orleans/Mardi Gras" material.

Anyone have song suggestions for me? I don't think anyone will actually be listening, but it would be nice to have a modest list of tunes that are at least vaguely associated with New Orleans (and that can be played by piano trio).

Off the top of my head, all I can think of are songs associated with Louis Armstrong.

Here's a few Mardi Gras tunes:

Go to the Mardi Gras- Professor Longhair

Mardi Gras Mambo - the Meters

Big Chief - Professor Longhair

Meet De Boys On De Battlefront- The Wild Tchoupitoulas

Edit:   I lived in New Orleans from 1982 - 1989 and am not familiar with more recent possible Mardi Gras tunes.  Check with KC's Josh Paxton.  He's a great New Orleans pianist and lives in New Orleans now, or at least until recently.  He may be able to point you to more New Orleans Mardi Gras tunes.  

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

My repertoire of New Orleans stuff is like, OLD New Orleans music (pre-1935); early jazz/ragtime stuff well-suited to a piano trio but I have no idea if that's actually what the hosts have in mind.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

My main band just did a Mardi Gras show on Saturday night. The New Orleans tunes I think of all have vocals – Hey Pocky Way, Iko Iko, I Like It Like That, Ooh Poo Pah Doo, Tell It Like It Is, anything by Fats Domino. The one instrumental I can think of is the Meters' Cissy Strut. 

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:26 AM, Mark Zeger said:

If you had a melodica, you could lead a second line. 

Or if you're Josh…

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Can't help but think of Dr. John's material when I think of Nawlins.

Right Place, Wrong Time

Such A Night

Going Back to New Orleans

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo