Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer unveils Oberheim OB-Xa-inspired desktop/$99 version of the Sequential Prophet VS

Behringer unveils an Oberheim OB-Xa-inspired desktop synth and a $99 version of the Sequential Prophet VS

Behringer’s UB-Xa - a reboot of the classic Oberheim OB-Xa synth - has been in development for a tortuously long time.

We were told it was “nearly ready” as long ago as 2020, and then came the news that it was being beta tested in 2021, but that was before it became clear that chip shortages were causing delays in manufacturing of multiple new Behringer products.

All of which means that, sadly, we’re not in a position to tell you that the UB-Xa is now available, but what we can confirm is that, while we’ve all been waiting for that, Behringer has been hard at work on a desktop version, the UB-Xa D, for those who don’t need a keyboard.

Presumably, this will have a broadly similar feature set and sound, but will take up less space in your studio (it can also be rack-mounted) We’re guessing that it might not arrive for a good while yet, though.

*snip*

The same could probably be said for the Pro VS, another new synth that Behringer has in the pipeline. Inspired by the Sequential Prophet VS, this is a compact 4-voice hybrid vector synth that promises many extra functions in comparison to that instrument. There are 127 wavetables and 32 presets, plus a sequencer, arpeggiator and display with oscilloscope.

More at the link.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Yes, I saw these two today.  It’s like his synth department has a day and a night shift seven days a week.  But that said, we’re still waiting for the most interesting ones to hit the street.  

The referenced UB-Xa, Pro16, and Pro800 for starters.  

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

28 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I think we all know what’s next. He’s going to clone software plugins.  Behringer U Collection I, $1.99. 

I love the idea of Behringer just iterating cheaper versions of sought-after music tech, including when the originals are ALSO clones of sought-after music tech. At one point does Behringer do a clone of their own clone of the Model D, at 1/4 scale, at 1/10th the price, but you need tweezers to twiddle the knobs?

• Haha 4

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I'll pick up a Pro VS Soul if it sounds good and doesn't suck to program.  I mean, it's 4-voices for $100.

• Like 2

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

Next: the DongSonic drum controller, $12, one micro USB output.

Consists of a single, 2" square rubber drum pad you play with your d*ck.

Its inevitable.🙄

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

Nothing else really you can get for $49...I do like the idea of an accessible synth for kids, and at least you've got midi capabilities. Man is that ugly though.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

$99 Saturn

Three VCOs with four selectable waves including saw, triangle, square and pulse waveforms. The latter offers PWM and there is a pitch mod and detune for all other waveforms as well.

“Vintage” multi-mode filter with 2 and 4 poles with resonance and modulation options (LFO, envelope). 

Single envelope (VCA) and a multi-wave LFO with different mod destinations. The LFO has saw, triangle, square, and random waves for all kinds of modulation effects.

SmwUtFHgHv2zoWGcfPPa4W-1024-80.jpg.webp

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

that Saturn is 3-voice VCO all-analog polyphonic?  That's absurd...

Granted, that's not a lot of polyphony, but heck I'd pay four times--$400!-- more for a 12 voice analog poly if it worked that way! 

I'm not a huge Behringer fan company-wise--though the products I've used have mostly held up, a recent gig failure of my P16m being a notable exception to that--but if nothing else maybe this spurs the competition.

You can buy an expansive range of goods from vending machines in Japan. I'm either amused or chilled by the idea of building a suitcase rig that way. Synthesizers by the sackful. Its not wrong if it suits you, but it still feels like Barbie's Bionic Wedding Night On Ice to have one drop out of a plastic egg. This is beginning to seem like the hardware version of piling up too many softsynths. How about a subscription that sends you one component of a micro-GX-1 bi-monthly? You'll be rockin' like a big dog by 2027! Hey Uli, do an ARP Avatar next!  

~ "The Lazarus Project"

Now THIS one I am excited about, again if they get the sound right.  I’m starting to feel about their cheap reissues of classic analog synths like I did with Happy Meal toys.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

"Pricing and Availability"

"Behringer says that the 2-XM will be priced at $299, with availability dependent on the availability of needed semiconductor chips."

I'll interpret this to mean late 2027.

• Haha 1
:nopity:

8 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

C64B397D-72D2-4DA7-A5C0-64AF5CA8DBF1.jpeg

Bohberheim Two Voice, $299. 

I don't quite trust that budget patch bay and I can get pretty good Obie tones by massaging the Matrix-derived filters in Pigments, for example. I'm trying to see B-synths as SynthWorld starter entries that can lead you to more solid big boy versions later. I know a lot of "kids" will enjoy them as is. Besides, I see a couple of Bs in Alex Paterson's studio for The Orb. He's a freewheeling sort I admire, so if he's willing to take them on as cheap-&-cheerful, they can't be all bad.  

~ "The Lazarus Project"

quoted from GearNews.com

" Once again Behringer says it’s ready to go if only they had the chips which is a recurring theme that’s starting to get a bit tiresome. While it’s exciting to see these new synths and ponder the possibilities I would much prefer to see an announcement and then be able to buy it from a shop the same day, but that’s not Behringer’s style."

Couldn't agreed more. Imagine if Ford were photoshopping flying cars and then saying they will sell them as soon as parts become available. 

• Haha 1
:nopity: