Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

I really thought QB Baker Mayfield would end up in Seattle and a similar situation competing with QB Drew Lock. 

It will be interesting to see who ends up starting in Carolina between Darnold and Mayfield.

Good news...Panthers are only paying a total of $22M in 2022 for two (2) former 1st round draft pick QBs. 

Unfortunately, they've both only proven to be average QBs at best. Darnold is carrying the higher salary between them. 

Maybe HC Matt Rhule and his coaching staff can get make one of them a better QB. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 3 weeks later...

Buffalo Bills training camp opened days ago. It’s a few miles from my house in Pittsford near Rochester.

To say Josh Allen is beloved in western New York is an understatement. All players at camp make time at the end of every session to sign autographs. Allen obviously gets the largest crowds. This morning, he saw 2 brothers waiting as he was signing, taking selfies, etc. They had nothing for him to sign. Allen took off his cleats, signed them, and gave one to each of the kids, and went to the locker room in his socks.

Allen’s stock just went way up.  

8CE3B06F-9EE5-4EA7-979D-97504181BD21.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, ProfD said:

I really thought QB Baker Mayfield would end up in Seattle and a similar situation competing with QB Drew Lock. 

It will be interesting to see who ends up starting in Carolina between Darnold and Mayfield.

No it won't :) Both teams are a joke this year.

I saw Julio Jones signed with TB. Figures. Watch him be reborn with the ultra-charmed Brady. 

QB Kyler Murray's contract extension has the most bizarre clause in it...4 hours per week of film study. 😕

Reads like the owner is throwing shade.  He could have saved himself a ton of money by letting Murray play out his rookie contract. 

Then, the Cards could have let Murray go to another team and brought in a more studious QB. 😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 7/26/2022 at 8:15 PM, bill5 said:

I saw Julio Jones signed with TB. Figures. Watch him be reborn with the ultra-charmed Brady. 

With Evans, Godwin and Russell Gage on the team? Might be challenging.  :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

59 minutes ago, David Bryce said:

With Evans, Godwin and Russell Gage on the team? Might be challenging.  :idk:

Godwin is coming back from injury.  Gage played 3rd fiddle to Julio Jones in Atlanta. 

Regardless, the Bucs are stacked at the WR position.  Definitely helps old man Brady. 😁

Amazingly, the Patriots still have zero interest in surrounding their young QB with a solid WR corps.🤣😎

PD

49 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Godwin is coming back from injury. 

Godwin is reported to be doing better than expected.

49 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Gage played 3rd fiddle to Julio Jones in Atlanta. 

Julio hasn’t been Julio for a few years now.  I’d say he’s pretty clearly in decline.  Gage - maybe not so much.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Don Coryell was the coach when I suddenly got interested in my hometown NFL team - probably around the same time other kids in San Diego got interested.  Coryell elevated the Chargers from the cellar to a winning team, with his explosive Air Coryell offense.  Before the Chargers hired him, he coached San Diego State through the transition from Division II to Division I.   He solved the problem of competing against USC and UCLA for recruits by recruiting for the passing game.  "There seemed to be a deeper supply of quarterbacks and receivers. And the passing game was also open to some new ideas... we threw the hell out of the ball and won some games."   He set up a winning culture at SDSU that lasted through most of the 70s.

No doubt he has been kept out of the HOF by lacking a Lombardi.   Charger ownership screwed him over by trading away Big Hands Johnson and Fred Dean, anchors of the 1979 squad's top-ranked defense, for petty reasons.  Those two went on to earn Super Bowl rings with the Niners instead.   As much as SD fans moan over the Ryan Leaf trade, this is still by far the worst trade in franchise history.

Also no doubt Holmgren and Shanahan will get in first.  Probably Kraft too because of his Patriots ownership.  All 3 have Lombardis.   We'll see.

I kinda lost interest in the NFL when the Charger's left San Diego. I do like Herbert, so I may give them another chance. The problem with the AFC west is everyone could 3-3 in division and have to go to Buffalo at some point in the playoffs.  

They also play the NFC west which is no day at the beach.

Jennifer S.

1 minute ago, surfergirl said:

I kinda lost interest in the NFL when the Charger's left San Diego. I do like Herbert, so I may give them another chance. The problem with the AFC west is everyone could 3-3 in division and have to go to Buffalo at some point in the playoffs.  

I swore off the Chargers for a while myself.  Earlier in the thread I said I'd switch my allegiance to the San Diego State Aztecs.  😃   I haven't seen their new Snapdragon Stadium yet.  It's interesting to see so many pundits with no connection to San Diego at all calling for their NCAA conference of choice (Big 12 or PAC 12) to invite SDSU, in the wake of the USC and UCLA to Big 10 bombshell.

Herbert is my main reason for watching the Chargers again.  Rooting for Dean Spanos to have ownership stripped from him someday soon - he's embroiled with legal battles against his own family.   The pundits are proclaiming them as Super Bowl favorites but the division is tough, as are the Bills and Bengals.

5 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

I swore off the Chargers for a while myself.  Earlier in the thread I said I'd switch my allegiance to the San Diego State Aztecs.  😃   I haven't seen their new Snapdragon Stadium yet.  It's interesting to see so many pundits with no connection to San Diego at all calling for their NCAA conference of choice (Big 12 or PAC 12) to invite SDSU, in the wake of the USC and UCLA to Big 10 bombshell.

Herbert is my main reason for watching the Chargers again.  Rooting for Dean Spanos to have ownership stripped from him someday soon - he's embroiled with legal battles against his own family.   The pundits are proclaiming them as Super Bowl favorites but the division is tough, as are the Bills and Bengals.

It is easier being an Aztec than a Rainbow Warrior. We are getting a new stadium, since the old one was condemned. 

Jennifer S.

3 hours ago, surfergirl said:

It is easier being an Aztec than a Rainbow Warrior. We are getting a new stadium, since the old one was condemned. 

I recently visited Hawaii for the first time ever.    Now I know why being named to the Pro Bowl is so desirable for NFL players.  The weather lives up to the hype.  And so many nice beaches within a few min. drive of each other.

Chargers will not face Deshaun Watson for their Week 5 matchup vs. the Browns

Deshaun Watson will be suspended for six games of the 2022 regular season

Derwin James not practicing due to contract negotiations, but they're calling it a hold-in instead of a holdout because he's been showing up to training camp, despite not being able to practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I doubt that diehard football fans will be surprised to learn that Baker Mayfield beat out Sam Darnold to QB the Carolina Panthers.😁

The 2022 NFL season officially begins in two (2) weeks with a Thursday night matchup with the Bills vs Rams😎

PD

I thought the Chargers rested their starters for the preseason game vs. the Cowboys.   Maybe JC got hurt during the week leading up to the game during the shared camp w/ the Cowboys.   They still have Michael Davis, who lost his starting spot to JC, so the impact to the team shouldn't be too bad.

9 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

I thought the Chargers rested their starters for the preseason game...

First, the NFL cuts down the # of preseason games to reduce the potential for injuries. 

This just goes to show that no matter what they do...injuries will happen whether it is in a practice or scrimmage; preseason or regular season game.  It's a physical sport.

The most important thing players can do is make sure they show up to camp in shape; hydrate and eat properly. 

The injury that sidelined Jets QB Zach Wilson was weird.  Nobody touched him.  The turf did it.  😎

PD

43 minutes ago, ProfD said:

First, the NFL cuts down the # of preseason games to reduce the potential for injuries. 

This just goes to show that no matter what they do...injuries will happen whether it is in a practice or scrimmage; preseason or regular season game.  It's a physical sport.

The most important thing players can do is make sure they show up to camp in shape; hydrate and eat properly. 

The injury that sidelined Jets QB Zach Wilson was weird.  Nobody touched him.  The turf did it.  😎

Yeah, from what I saw, both sides rested their starters.  But who knows maybe JC hurt himself while pacing on the sidelines as the Chargers backups got smoked by the Cowboys backups.  Or something happened to him during the training week and it just wasn't reported.

From what little searching I did, more injuries happen on turf compared to natural grass.  The difference for non-contact foot/ankle injuries really stands out at 69%.  The players are at the mercy of the owners on this front, so I doubt anything will get done.

I wonder if the Chargers will keep 3 QBs this time or have only one backup for Herbert.  Chase Daniel's job was to mentor Herbert.  But Herbert looks pretty comfortable in Joe Lombardi's offense and doesn't look like he needs a mentor anymore.  There doesn't seem to be much difference in Daniel's play vs. Stick's.  

EDIT:  Duh, of course they'll keep 3.  I forgot about the hole at right tackle.  Storm Norton was a turnstyle against the Raiders pass rush.   Pipkins has a chance to win that spot over Storm but is unproven since I can count his starts on one hand.  But he did take the advice of veteran OL and sign up for offseason training with the same trainer they go to, whereas nothing was reported on what Storm did to fix his game - if any fixing is possible.

13 minutes ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Turf is awful for injuries. There's a reason The Other Football doesn't touch the stuff.

Some genius decided many years ago that playing on carpet was cheaper than maintaining grass. 😁😎

• Confused 1

PD

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Staley says JC Jackson's surgery was not because of injury but to address discomfort.  

Rhetorically, I sure would like to know why today's athletes are so brittle and injury prone.  They have the best of everything...nutrition, exercise and fitness equipment, medicine, etc.  Yet, a blade of grass or a snag in the carpet will sideline them for 2-4 weeks. 🤣😎

PD

1 minute ago, ProfD said:

Rhetorically, I sure would like to know why today's athletes are so brittle and injury prone.  They have the best of everything...nutrition, exercise and fitness equipment, medicine, etc.  Yet, a blade of grass or a snag in the carpet will sideline them for 2-4 weeks. 🤣😎

Staley's attempt to address the question of why JC needed surgery just raised even more questions for me.  Like, did he play with this so-called "discomfort" last year with the Patriots?  If so, did he seek medical help and The Hoodie said "naw, you're a tough guy, get your butt back out there on the field!"?  

On 8/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, GovernorSilver said:

Matt Araiza was a key contributor to the SDSU Aztecs record-setting 12-win season.  When your team wins primarily on defense and running, you need a good punter.

The Bills got a draft steal in Araiza.  A punter who can boot 80 yards is a nice weapon to have.

until they find out he was involved in the gang rape of a minor. He is now unemployed and ready to go to jail for a long time if the allegations against him are true

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-release-punter-matt-araiza-following-alleged-gang-rape-of-minor-235219113.html

:nopity: