Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

Geoff Grace

On 11/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, ProfD said:

Commanders made Sunday's game too close for comfort. Defense should've played better. But, I'll take the win especially on my b'day. 😁

The Packers aren't going to shut down QB Aaron Rodgers despite his tender ribs and inflamed lung.

Seems Packers could have used Rodgers' injury to give QB Jordan Love more game time experience.

Nope. Rodgers has the Packers hamstrung for these two (2) years. Reminds me of Big Ben and the Steelers before he finally retired.😎

That game oughtta be interesting, as the Bears already-crappy defense is completely decimated. It's filled with people from practice squads, undrafted players, and 2nd and 3rd-string players. No, seriously. That's not hyperbole. There's no pass rush, so they won't get to Rodgers even if they blitz (which is a bad idea against Rodgers anyway). They should do the opposite and keep eight back, rushing just three occasionally, just to mix it up.

Actually, the offense is riddled with injuries too. So I don't predict a great outcome for the Bears even though the Packers aren't playing super well.

Oh well. Next year. Bear down!

@KenElevenShadows, your assessment of Da Bears definitely isn't hyperbole. Da Bears are not tanking but clearly in rebuild mode. 

Regardless of who plays QB for the Packers tomorrow, if they come up short against this Bears team, they need to reassess their situation and/or consider a rebuild too.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

In a sense, Green Bay is always in rebuild mode. They often lose good players to free agency, using the draft to acquire replacement talent. The main reason it looks like they're not in rebuild mode most of the time is because of the stability in the quarterback position, with Favre and then Rodgers helming the team for the last 30 years.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

On a day when division rival Vikings insured that the Packers couldn’t win the NFC North, Green Bay achieved a nice consolation prize, becoming the winningest franchise in NFL history:

Packers earn NFL-record 787th victory in franchise history, moving past rival Bears for first time

Today marks the first time that any team other than the Bears/Staleys has been in sole possession of first place all time since 1921. That’s over a century! Well done, Bears.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harmonizer said:

The touchdown Mahomes just scored (on 4th and 2, to give KC a 24-17 lead) is another example of his incredible decision-making, along with the athleticism to pull off the ideas that pop into his head.

That game did live up to its billing. The Kelce fumble was a game changer but I would not have been in the least surprised if KC pulled it out. 

Outside of the Eagles, the NFC is pathetic. 

The injury bug is firmly planted in the water pipes at Levi's Stadium. 

How many QBs can a team lose for the year? Apparently, at least two. Jimmy joins Trey for cocktails for the rest of the season, and now we're riding Mr. Irrelevant, who actually acquits himself fairly well given the circumstances. Dolphins did not look like themselves for most of the 1st half, was it jitters or our vaunted defense?

Satisfying win but losing Jimmy G yikes. That's going to leave a bruise.

On to the Buccaneers.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:15 PM, ProfD said:

@KenElevenShadows, your assessment of Da Bears definitely isn't hyperbole. Da Bears are not tanking but clearly in rebuild mode. 

Regardless of who plays QB for the Packers tomorrow, if they come up short against this Bears team, they need to reassess their situation and/or consider a rebuild too.🤣😎

The Packers won as I thought they would. And what I didn't say is that it would be in this most irritating manner if you're a Bears fan. Missed extra point, stupid plays, interceptions, stuf where they seem to get in their own way. But that's what bad teams do. 

Prior to the interceptions - and I'm gonna count it against Fields as one interception instead of two since the first one, the Packers defender basically took it away from the receiver - it was a complete game for Fields, which is especially impressive since he was playing quite hurt and hardly ran in the second half.

The other bit is that since the Bears' secondary was decimated with injuries, I'd say that Blackwell and the other rookies acquitted themselves well for the most part, playing solid defense. So baby steps.

Finally, I'd say that the Packers need to reassess their situation regardless since a team full of second-stringers, un-drafted players, rookies, and practice squad players took it to the Packers for most of the game.

4 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

On a day when division rival Vikings insured that the Packers couldn’t win the NFC North, Green Bay achieved a nice consolation prize, becoming the winningest franchise in NFL history:

Packers earn NFL-record 787th victory in franchise history, moving past rival Bears for first time

Today marks the first time that any team other than the Bears/Staleys has been in sole possession of first place all time since 1921. That’s over a century! Well done, Bears.

Best,

Geoff

Congratulations. That's a mind-boggling amount of wins.

• Like 1

Commanders managed to turn a winnable game against the Giants into a tie. Neither team played to win the game in OT. 

Chiefs/Bengals could be a precursor to the playoffs. Even after losing three straight to the Bengals, I believe the Chiefs will crush them in another meeting.

Tough break for Jimmy G and the 49ers literally. If HC Kyle Shanahan can drive this team into the playoffs or beyond with QB Mr. Irrelevant, Shanahan might be the coach whisperer.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Congratulations. That's a mind-boggling amount of wins.

Thanks, Ken. It was also a mind-boggling amount of time for the Bears to hold the record. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were to regain first place in the years to come.

Best,

Geoff

3 hours ago, timwat said:

The injury bug is firmly planted in the water pipes at Levi's Stadium. 

How many QBs can a team lose for the year? Apparently, at least two. Jimmy joins Trey for cocktails for the rest of the season, and now we're riding Mr. Irrelevant, who actually acquits himself fairly well given the circumstances. Dolphins did not look like themselves for most of the 1st half, was it jitters or our vaunted defense?

Satisfying win but losing Jimmy G yikes. That's going to leave a bruise.

On to the Buccaneers.

My condolences, Tim. It is a rare situation, indeed, and not enviable at all.

Nonetheless, if any current team is built to win a Super Bowl without an elite quarterback, it's the Niners. I look forward to seeing what they can do.

Best,

Geoff

35 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Oh man if the Cowboys clinch a playoff spot, we're going to be subjected to more of that oddball TD celebration of theirs, regardless of NFL fines

Yeah good luck with that, that ship sailed a long time ago. Childish, no-class end zone celebrations have long been all the rage. As soon as a player scores a TD now, I instantly turn the channel. I've long wished I could meet Billy "white shoes" Johnson and shove my shoe up his ass because he started all this. Deon Sanders is also high on the list 

1 minute ago, bill5 said:

Yeah good luck with that, that ship sailed a long time ago. Childish, no-class end zone celebrations have long been all the rage. As soon as a player scores a TD now, I instantly turn the channel. I've long wished I could meet Billy "white shoes" Johnson and shove my shoe up his ass because he started all this.

Did he invent the jump into Salvation Army kettle thing?

I'll take any silly dance over that.

Just now, GovernorSilver said:

Did he invent the jump into Salvation Army kettle thing?

I'll take any silly dance over that.

No, he was the first one to celebrate a TD (other than a simple spike of the ball or high five) with his ridiculous "chicken dance" crap. I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere if you're a masochist. 

22 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

Thanks, Ken. It was also a mind-boggling amount of time for the Bears to hold the record. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were to regain first place in the years to come.

Best,

Geoff

They may regain it if they use their huge cap space and draft picks wisely. Who knows. They have a lot of holes to plug.

4 minutes ago, bill5 said:

No, he was the first one to celebrate a TD (other than a simple spike of the ball or high five) with his ridiculous "chicken dance" crap. I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere if you're a masochist. 

No thanks.

I don't care enough about TD celebrations to call for a general ban, but Salvation Army should reconsider leaving out their big plastic kettle for Cowboys to play with, before somebody does something even dumber with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I'd say that the Packers need to reassess their situation regardless since a team full of second-stringers, un-drafted players, rookies, and practice squad players took it to the Packers for most of the game.

Green Bay went 6-9-1 in 2018, during Mike McCarthy’s last year as head coach. This year should conclude with a similar record.

On the heels of three consecutive 13-win seasons, I doubt Matt LaFleur will get canned for a single losing season. If he puts together at least two losing years in a row, as McCarthy did in 2017 and 2018, then that’s a different story.

Even so, I expect a pretty dramatic offseason, as the Packers and Aaron Rodgers decide their futures.

Best,

Geoff

19 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Best,

Geoff

That's fantastic!   I was wondering why the Team has never moved.  I see it's because it's publicly owned.   Not to mention they have > 80,000 on the waiting list for season tickets and the public supports excellent facilities.    I'm just a 6 hour drive but have historically been a Bears fan, esp during the Ditka era and growing up near there.  Too bad St. Louis can't get its (or "a") team back.   These days, I kind of equally support the Pack, Bears, KC and Vikes being centrally located to all of them, and Niners from living in San Jose for 20 years a decade ago. 

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The 49ers are going to be fighting it out with the Giants and the Commodores for the last to playoff spots. Unfortunately for them the Seahawks have a ridiculously easy schedule, at home against the 49ers, Panthers, Jets and Rams. The good news for the 49ers is the one road game the Seahawks have is the Chief's. If the 49ers can find a way to beat the Seahawks they can still win the west. As great as their defense is I think it's a big task for them. Purdy looked good Sunday, but a lot of backup QBs have looked good for a few weeks, but 8 weeks not so much. After all that even though my kinda game is 49-42, I wouldn't count out the 49ers defense.

Edit: I took another look at the 49ers schedule and it's not as bad as I thought. Road games at Seahawks and Raiders. The Raiders are playing much better now(just ask my Chargers) and Seatle is tough place to win. Their homes a the Bucs, Cardnals and Commodores, all winnable games.

Jennifer S.

The Niners will be interesting to watch.  No more Jimmy G to take all the blame for every little... I mean manage an offense that has worked well for them in recent history, so it's all on the poor rookie QB's shoulders.  But they're very well coached compared to many other teams, including the Chargers.

26 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

The 49ers are going to be fighting it out with the Giants and the Commodores for the last to playoff spots. Unfortunately for them the Seahawks have a ridiculously easy schedule, at home against the 49ers, Panthers, Jets and Rams. The good news for the 49ers is the one road game the Seahawks have is the Chief's. If the 49ers can find a way to beat the Seahawks they can still win the west. As great as their defense is I think it's a big task for them. Purdy looked good Sunday, but a lot of backup QBs have looked good for a few weeks, but 8 weeks not so much. After all that even though my kinda game is 49-42, I wouldn't count out the 49ers defense.

Edit: I took another look at the 49ers schedule and it's not as bad as I thought. Road games at Seahawks and Raiders. The Raiders are playing much better now(just ask my Chargers) and Seatle is tough place to win. Their homes a the Bucs, Cardnals and Commodores, all winnable games.

I didn't get to see the Niners, but was glad to see Purdy get the chance to shine.  He came from my town last year (brush with greatness :) ).

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Personally, I thought Purdy looked STRONG. Calmer, more confident, more mature than most Niners fans expected.

Shanahan obviously kept the leash relatively short (with his conservative run bias), but Purdy didn't look nervous, I didn't see any "happy feet", he made good safe decisions rather than take questionable risks when he was called to throw (cough Ryan Leaf cough), and all things considered didn't do anything ill-advised.

With the defense playing strong, some say that's all we ever needed from Jimmy, or, now Brock. Distribute safely to all these playmakers we paid for. But of course playoff football often demands more than just safely distributing the ball to high caliber playmakers.

Next week vs. ex-Mr. Gisele Bundchen, er, the GOAT, will be revelatory.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, timwat said:

Personally, I thought Purdy looked STRONG. Calmer, more confident, more mature than most Niners fans expected.

Shanahan obviously kept the leash relatively short (with his conservative run bias), but Purdy didn't look nervous, I didn't see any "happy feet", he made good safe decisions rather than take questionable risks when he was called to throw (cough Ryan Leaf cough), and all things considered didn't do anything ill-advised.

With the defense playing strong, some say that's all we ever needed from Jimmy, or, now Brock. Distribute safely to all these playmakers we paid for. But of course playoff football often demands more than just safely distributing the ball to high caliber playmakers.

Just watched the highlights.   I agree, Purdy was strong!   He acted like a veteran.   His perennial overperformance at Iowa State as an underdog suited him well to come in obviously overprepared, nailing the tight routes (save the one interception).   He was slinging passes reminiscent of Rogers.  I see a good future for Brock.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

4 hours ago, timwat said:

That's what Colt fans were saying after Sam Ehlinger's first game....

I'd love to see Purdy do well, but realistically the 49ers are spoilers at best now. Still, with teams like the Seahawks and Giants being exposed after a quick start, who knows? 

Titans fire GM Jon Robinson despite winning ways

The move comes two days after Tennessee suffered an embarrassing 35-10 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in which former Titans wide receiver A.J. Brown, who was traded to Philadelphia in the offseason, scored two touchdowns.

It was also the Titans' second loss in a row.

Best,

Geoff

I guess GM Jon Robinson was sacrificial after the realization of that WR AJ Brown trade.  It must have been too much for the Titans to stomach after WR Brown came to town and thrashed them on Sunday.🤣

Funniest part is the Titans gave the GM a contract extension back in February. It was probably too early to tell that 1) he wasn't a genius and 2) their WR corps would be garbage this season. 😎

PD