Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

12 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

I hope he succeeds. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

Me too.   

My friends texted me "Hey, remember that guy from That's Incredible and Real People?  He's looking to buy the Broncos!".   I then looked him up on Google.   My friends mentioned his purchase of the Weather Channel, but didn't mention he paid the $310 million for it in cash.  To say he's done well is an understatement.  He can definitely afford the Broncos, even at this record sale price.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/byron-allen-on-the-road-to-media-mastery/

The Steelers threw Brian Flores a life line. Suing NFL Corporate usually means no new Head Coaching job. Miami's loss is the Steelers Gain.

Thanks to Coach Mike Tomlin and the Steelers front office for ignoring NFL Corporate.

Collin Coherd had a great piece on Youtube about the unfair treatment of Brian Flores. Its worth watching.

Mike T.

• Like 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Also:

Sources: Green Bay Packers use franchise tag on WR Davante Adams

Happy day for this Packers/Broncos fan!  :thu:  :cool:  :rawk: 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

5 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Happy day for this Packers/Broncos fan! 

The NFL talking heads claim Von Miller wants to go back to the Broncos. 

Congrats to Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers landing in or solidifying their spots early.

Their respective teams can try to build around &/or shore up the cast of players to be more competitive.

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

ESPN posted more details about the blockbuster trade

Seahawks will eat the $26 mill in dead money, but gain Lock, Noah Fan, Shelby Harris,  2 1st-round picks, and a boatload of other picks.  

Broncos were already built to win now, apparently following the LA Rams model, minus the stable QB position, and now they have him.  

14 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Seahawks will eat the $26 mill in dead money, but gain Lock, Noah Fan, Shelby Harris,  2 1st-round picks, and a boatload of other picks.  

I'm thinking Seattle won this trade big time.  I have such a hard time with betting so many players and picks on one guy.  Seems like really bad math to me. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

35 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

I'm thinking Seattle won this trade big time.  I have such a hard time with betting so many players and picks on one guy.  Seems like really bad math to me. :idk:

dB

My first thought was "Herschel Walker trade".    Only difference is today's Herschel Walker is more accomplished - but yeah that's still a steep price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

dB

I have been thinking just this since I read about the trade yesterday. Denver will need to win the Super Bowl. All else is a fail

• Like 1
:nopity:

As a Seahawks fan I've been trying to process this. We've heard rumors (basically through Russell Wilson's agent Mark Rogers) that he's been open to trades for the last couple of years, so I guess it was inevitable - especially as Russell and Pete's offensive philosophies kept getting more and more divergent. 

The Broncos were Wilson's choice. He had a no trade clause that needed to be waived before any deal could go through. 

If the Seahawks drafted well, I'd be more positive about the trade. In the early years of the Carroll - Schneider era they were red hot, but in the last five years they've only managed to draft one first team all-Pro (the punter). 

There are now rumors that the Seahawks have taken a keen interest in what happens to Deshaun Watson, so this draft haul may largely go flying out the window anyway. 

As a Viking fan who unfortunately remembers it pretty well, not sure I agree with the Walker trade comparison.  Russell Wilson can--unless he's diminished, I didn't see him much over the past couple years--have way, way more of an impact on games than any running back.  

But we'll see.  That definitely is a lot to give up.

Sources say Commanders trading for Carson Wentz

Price is not as high as Russell Wilson's, but then again Wentz ain't no Russell Wilson.

Meanwhile the Giants plan to pursue free agent QB Mitchell Trubisky.   

Maybe the Commanders don't want to get into a bidding war against the Giants.  Trubisky is no Wilson either, but you won't have to give up picks for him at least.  I doubt Wentz would be worth it - but I'm biased because of the Ryan Leaf trade that proved disastrous for the Chargers.   That event conditioned me to think any trade of draft picks for a QB is bad.  😅

43 minutes ago, Stokely said:

As a Viking fan who unfortunately remembers it pretty well, not sure I agree with the Walker trade comparison.  Russell Wilson can--unless he's diminished, I didn't see him much over the past couple years--have way, way more of an impact on games than any running back.  

But we'll see.  That definitely is a lot to give up.

Reading through the pundits this morning, all are giving the Broncos good grades for this trade. No price is too high for an elite quarterback I guess - and although he's not as mobile as he once was, he still has one of the best (if not the best) long balls in the game. 

For years I've watched Russell Wilson carry otherwise mediocre Seahawks teams into the playoffs. Assuming the middle finger on his throwing hand has healed (an injury he suffered early last season from Aaron Donald) he will give the Broncos multiple chances to reach the Super Bowl over the next several years. 

With John Elway in charge, the Broncos have done a poor job at drafting an elite quarterback (so much for the notion that it takes one to know one); so they might have squandered some of those draft picks anyway.

On the other hand, they did a good job at winning a Super Bowl after acquiring Peyton Manning; so I like their chances with Russell Wilson. Wilson probably has more gas left in the tank than Manning did during his tenure with Denver, so this may be a good result for the Broncos for years to come. 

After the Buccaneers’ success under Tom Brady the season before last and the Rams’ success under Matthew Stafford last year, the pressure on the Broncos to win it all this year will be high. However, considering that it took two years for Manning to win a Super Bowl in Denver, I won’t consider it a bust if Wilson doesn’t win one this year. In fact, as long as the Broncos fare better under Wilson than they have under their many nameless quarterbacks in recent years, I’ll consider the trade a success. 

Best,

Geoff

The Broncos-Seahawks trade could be more comparable to the Walker trade if the Seahawks are really productive with their newly acquired draft picks.

The Walker trade to me was not so much about the RB himself as it was about the draft picks transforming a 1-15 Cowboys team into a dynasty.

10 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Broncos-Seahawks trade could be more comparable to the Walker trade if the Seahawks are really productive with their newly acquired draft picks.

The Walker trade to me was not so much about the RB himself as it was about the draft picks transforming a 1-15 Cowboys team into a dynasty.

For me, it’s about both the Cowboys winning and the Vikings losing. If this turns out to be a win/win scenario, then it won’t be comparable, at least not as an illustration that one great player isn’t worth giving up multiple veterans and draft picks for. 

Best,

Geoff

I'm neither excited about nor surprised by the Commanders trading for Wentz.  It aligns with the front office mentality. 

If healthy, Wentz is an upgrade from Heinicke, Allen and Fitz-Tragic.  But, he's not going to win games like a Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. 

IMO, the Commanders got a younger, serviceable QB.  I definitely think we should take a page from the Colts playbook and run the ball.

Keep Wentz under 35 throws per game.  Ground and pound the ball.  Play lights out defense.  Commanders regain respectability in the NFC East.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

20 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

For me, it’s about both the Cowboys winning and the Vikings losing. If this turns out to be a win/win scenario, then it won’t be comparable, at least not as an illustration that one great player isn’t worth giving up multiple veterans and draft picks for. 

Best,

Geoff

fwiw, I think the Broncos going into 2022 appear to have a stronger roster than the 1989 or 1990 Vikings.

• Like 1

Wentz to Commanders vs. Wilson to Broncos is an interesting contrast. Would you rather pay a bargain price for what looks like a modest upgrade at quarterback or an astronomical price for one of the best in the game?

Addendum: I just want to add that the template for Brady to the Bucs, Stafford to the Rams, and Wilson to the Broncos was loosely based on George Allen to Washington, taking as many of his Rams with him as he could, and coining the phrase, "The future is now." I can only imagine that if he were currently in charge of the Commanders, he would put all of his chips on the table again.

Best,

Geoff

Seattle Seahawks release longtime defensive captain Bobby Wagner

The final member of the Legion of Boom is no longer a Seahawk. Now, it's the end of an era on both sides of the ball. I hope that Seattle rebuilds another contender in the coming years.

Best,

Geoff

1 hour ago, Geoff Grace said:

Wentz to Commanders....

Would you rather pay a bargain price for what looks like a modest upgrade at quarterback... 

Wentz is due $28M in 2022. Not a bargain price for a modest upgrade especially if his 2021 season is any indication of what we'll be getting from him. 🤭😎

• Like 1

PD

2 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Wentz is due $28M in 2022. Not a bargain price for a modest upgrade especially if his 2021 season is any indication of what we'll be getting from him. 🤭😎

That’s true. I was thinking about the pair of third-round picks, not Wentz’s salary. I hope it turns out to be a bargain anyway for the Commanders. 

Best,

Geoff