Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4 amplification

Those amps are unfortunately known for their boxy piano sound. Only thing I can suggest is to apply a more detailed EQ, like a graphic or parametric. Otherwise you will be getting into experimenting with different speakers.

Newer model Motion Sounds are said to sound more balanced.

Moe

---

I've used a BBE Sonic Maximizer to open up the sound of my Spacestation to acceptable results for piano. There's a bit of controversy as to whether this thing is simply an EQ – but I don't find it so. Do the due diligence first.

http://www.bbesound.com/products/sonic-maximizers/282i.aspx 

Here for the gear.

I have owned Motion Sound KP100S & KP200S amps for years - great stereo sound for acoustic piano patches... WAAAAAY better then any other 1 piece amp on the market.

But in last 10 yrs. or so, I realized that what sounds EVEN BETTER than Motion Sound is my QSC's: a pair of K10's or even a pair of K8's, with a little Yamaha MG82CX submixer.

Sometimes I still use the Motion Sound amps, if I want the simplicity of 1 piece - as opposed to 2 active spkr cabinets (each requiring that they get plugged in), plus a mixer, plus cables connecting all 3.

In fact, I recently upgraded my Motion Sound arsenal:

I bought the KP400S, which sounds way better than the KP200S but has 8" woofers so slightly less bass response (yet still decent amount of bass) - but the KP400S is 10lbs. lighter than the KP200S, yet twice as powerful in that it is 400W (2 200W channels), whereas the KP200S is only 200W (2 100W channels).

For THE BEST sound - go with separate cabinets (QSC K10's or K8's) & a submixer.  For VERY GOOD sound with easier transport (only 1 piece), try the Motion Sound KP400S.  

Also - my KP200S is a bit noisy, which you can also hear if you run a line to the PA.  The KP400S is absolutely silent.  I actually had to put my ear to the thing to make sure it was even on!  NO NOISE whatsoever - it's great!

"Gigito ergo sum: I Gig, therefore I Am."

Keys:
Kurzweil PC4 (88 keys) - use this one kybd. on most gigs

Yamaha MOXF8 (bottom tier) & Korg Kronos 61 (top tier) - use these on gigs where I bring 2 kybds.
Roland RD300GX (88 keys) - for use on smaller 1 kybd. gigs & when I need to play left hand bass
Yamaha P121 (73 keys) - small, lightweight digital piano w/beautiful sound, built-in spkrs., use on small acoustic gigs in tight spaces

Mixers, Spkrs.:
Yamaha MG82cx, Mackie ProFX12, Mackie PRoFX16v3, Soundcraft MFXi8, Soundcraft Signature 16, Allen & Heath MixWiz3 mixers
(2) QSC K12's, (4) QSC K10's, (2) QSC K8's, 1 JBL PRX715XLF + 2 JBL PRX718XLF Subwoofers
Motion Sound KP408S, KP200S, & KP100S kybd. amps, Hartke HD500 bass amp (for 2017 Fender Jazz Bass & 2010 SR500 Bass)

I personally disagree that two monitors at that QSC-level price range categorically sound better than the current Motion Sound stereo amp models. You can tell even from Al’s video that that is basically not true (the MS holds its own against the extremely expensive TT-08As - imagine swapping in much cheaper QSCs and you get the picture). Regardless, as a CP4 owner who plays through an MS KP-612, I’d highly recommend selling your MS 500s and buying one of the newer models. The combo just sounds really good. 

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

7 hours ago, irmler said:

I cannot get a good piano sound using a Motion sound KP500S . I have a Yamaha CP4 piano. I get a great sound out of a pair of HK Polar 10s. Through the Motion Sound the piano sounds very boxy. Any ideas please? 

Not much anyone can do to help I'm afraid -- APs will not sound pleasant through this amp, although with a lot of work and effort you can make them sound less unpleasant.  Other voices -- sure -- but accurate APs -- not its strong suit. 

You did not mention where you will be using your CP4.  The Polar 10s look great for smaller acoustic gigs, but I'm not sure as to how well they'd do with a louder electric band, as they're all about wide dispersion.  If you needed to monitor, or needed to project stage sound if it was vocals-only through the PA, I would think you'd be better off with a pair of self-powered 8" PA units.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

i agree with the  newer MS amps being much improved over the previous generation . i owned an MS KP500 a few years ago , couldn't fix the boxy midrange , so i ended up returning it . recently picked up the 610 , i like it a lot .. the APs are not perfect but i'd say they're pretty good . the EP's in my MODX are great , nice and fat as is my HX3 organ / art tube preamp . as an FYI , the HX3 also sounds great through my QSC k8.2s , but only if they're on stands . i think the MODX  EPs sound warmer through the 610

• Like 1

I could make a case that a high-end keyboard amp works better in some situations, a pair of self-powered PAs in other ones, a vertical column array in still other ones, and let's not forget IEM setups.  All would sound "good" in that situation. It's hard for me to really offer an opinion unless I know how it's going to be used.

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"