Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WARNING: Apparent Scam Listing | Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 - Lansing Craigslist

[Editor's Note: I'm leaving this up to give an idea of the kind of scams that people run. I'm not blaming the OP, but want to remind everyone that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is - Craig] 

Nord Stage 3 Compact 73-key Organ w/gig bag GB73,keyboard/ Synth in box - $2,000 (Lansing)

3019.png3019.png3020.png3020.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

condition: like new 
delivery available 
make / manufacturer: Nord 
model name / number: Stage 3 semi weighted waterfall

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

post id: 7439057205

posted: about 9 hours ago

best of [?]

There’s a similar scam here in Phoenix.  Montage 8 for an unreal price.  I responded to the ad for more info and got a short response.  Seemed fishy so I found the pic was actually for a listing for that shop in NYC.  I was trying to figure out how the scam would unfold but not curious enough to keep the correspondence going.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/msg/d/phoenix-yamaha-montage-music/7423741661.html

Here’s the legit listing:

https://reverb.com/item/24496561-yamaha-montage-8-music-synthesizer-88-weighted-key-keyboard-piano-mint-armens

I have seen other CL ads like this, offering keyboards, pianos, and guitars at too-good-to-be-true prices.  They are scams for sure-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

16 minutes ago, Stokely said:

It's hard to believe that these EVER work, but some percentage of them must. 

Lansing, Michigan is a fairly reasonable drive from where I live, and although I really don’t need this axe, for a few moments this ad almost had taken my curiosity to a more activated level. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

A few years ago a couple of places were selling B-Stock Stage 3 Compacts for as low as $2404. I got mine for $2407. Its possible, but unlikely, that this is a B-Stock purchase but even so I would expect it to be listed at a higher price. I know if I were to sell my B-Stock Stage 3 I could probably make a few hundred on it.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

17 hours ago, Moonglow said:

Lansing, Michigan is a fairly reasonable drive from where I live, and although I really don’t need this axe, for a few moments this ad almost had taken my curiosity to a more activated level. 

Understood, I've called about a few too-good deals.  Assuming the actual scam is getting the buyer to send money up front, that is the part that blows my mind--that someone would actually do that.

The other possibility on items is that they are fake, but pretty hard to fake a Nord stage compact!  I won't buy from CL anyway, but I'd ask to have it set up to play.  I have done this as a seller, I connect it via a car inverter and ask that the buyer bring headphones if they want to hear it.   As a seller I worry about counterfeit money just a bit.

I purchased a Schecter bass for a few hundred bucks, it supposedly was a MIA model from the 80s.  Looking that up, it would be vintage indeed and worth a LOT.  This was from Guitar Center, so I figured 1) it really was and 2) I could always return it.  Well, before I actually received it I posted about it on a bass forum, all excited that I got a deal like no other (I was going to sell it and get a nice keyboard, then buy another cheap bass to learn on!).   A few different old pros on that forum immediately recognized my new prized bass as a copy that was put out by a particular music store in the 80s...they make really cheap basses, slapped a brand name on them, and sold a lot of them.   Well, long story short I cancelled the order and GC rightly seemed a bit abashed that they'd be selling a copy like that, I told them about the info I'd gotten.  I hope they didn't continue to sell it, though to be fair the thing was really cheap and probably worth that much!

This is a reason I like buying used from a store with a return policy :)

My favorite part is the description.  

"This is a Newly Nord stage 3 Sami weighted waterfall... it was presented to me for my birthday in December.....I own a Nord piano 4 so I see no reason why kept it at home without no using......I'm selling it at cheaper price......just wish to list it out for the lucky buyer."

• Haha 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

OK here's the deal.  A buddy in NJ wanted to make sure the listings on the NYC Craigslist were real .  He was contacting this guy about an ad that was close to him in the NYC for a Nord Stage for $1850.  I told him to give me the address.  Unbeknownst to the scammer.  We were both contacting him and he was giving addresses here in Rochester that were random.  I had my buddy on the phone and went to an address and it was bogus.   The guy has an 802 area code which is in Vermont.  It's a weird scam I don't know what he was trying to gain?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com