Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Working For The Weekend Transciption

I know a transcription for Loverboy's "Working For The Weekend" was posted in these forums several years ago but searching through old threads it looks like it's no longer available. Does anyone have that transcription available as a PDF file that they could email me? I guess it's simple enough I could write it out but if someone could save me the time of doing that I'd appreciate it! I've got the patch all set up on my MODX just want to be able to play it accurately.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside, I'd be curious about your MODX patch :) Loverboy-style poly sounds are something I've struggled with a bit on the MODX. I did manage to get a passable Subdivisions patch though, and I'm using a variation for the two Loverboy songs we (sometimes) do.

And it wouldn't hurt me to look at the transcription. I know I'm not playing that song correctly--one problem is that I sing the under-harmony on the chorus and I have a hard time playing those arpeggios and singing.

At least one person here last time this song came up felt the youtube tutorial vids were overly busy, but they might be worth a shot (they sound close at least).

As an aside, I'd be curious about your MODX patch :) Loverboy-style poly sounds are something I've struggled with a bit on the MODX. I did manage to get a passable Subdivisions patch though, and I'm using a variation for the two Loverboy songs we (sometimes) do.

And it wouldn't hurt me to look at the transcription. I know I'm not playing that song correctly--one problem is that I sing the under-harmony on the chorus and I have a hard time playing those arpeggios and singing.

At least one person here last time this song came up felt the youtube tutorial vids were overly busy, but they might be worth a shot (they sound close at least).

I'm actually using a patch from Narf Sounds that I tweaked a little. I changed the routing of the expression pedal to adjust the SuperKnob which switches between the main riff and the softer synth pads during the verses.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Hmm, never heard of Narf sounds, I'll check into it. Did the patch come with samples or does it use the elements (oscillators)/samples already in there (if you happen to know)

I've started giving the ol college try at really getting in there and doing some from-scratch sounds. It really is different from say a simpler 2 or 3 oscillator analog synth--but that said some of the differences are in language and others are the fact that things are broken into screens. Dom Sigales (sp?). has a few good videos on youtube programming sounds from scratch.

I do quite a bit of that using the cutoff knob but I need to start assigning the super knob as that is quite a bit easier to use (with or without a pedal)...sometimes I reach for the cutoff and then notice the focus of the knob has rotated over to one of the other columns on that row!

I do have an expression pedal but I'm finding it to be very "jumpy" when controlling most things. Then again I've never used one before so part of the issue is me I'm sure. I also stand to play so that makes a pedal like that more difficult.

I used the Amazing Slow Downer software to learn the parts. The chorus section being the bugger. To play it I have to transpose one controller up an octave and route the midi from both controllers to the same sound source. I will try to get a video of me playing the separate parts up here soon. No guarantee I got it exact, but if not it's pretty close. Quite a stretch in the "Everybody's goin' off the deep end" section.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Interesting. I found one youtube vid that sounded pretty close to my ear--granted, I am not a get-it-exact guy!--and it was basically the same sound with the left hand just being a 3rd or so further down (not consistently). Other than the singing at the same time problem that I mentioned, my issue was that my left hand doesn't usually do arpeggios like that!

Granted, that video could have been quite different from the studio reality, and was going for "in the ballpark".

There were a couple of threads on this a few years ago. I had posted a transcription back in 2011 but the attachment source is no longer functioning. For those who still need it, here it is. If you must read it, go ahead. However, this isn't too hard to learn...so I would strongly encourage you to listen as best you can and then compare what you hear to what's in the transcription.

2592.pdf

My band plays this song (I play it in on a Kronos) and it is really fun to play. Once you get the timing down. I play it with two hands. I actually bought a soundset from Dave Champagne at Aurora Sounds. He had YouTube video tutorial of how to play it. I watched it once and had it down. But it did take me several months of gigging it with the band before I could sing along with the lead singer while playing it. It"s very much like playing triplets a third apart, but then has a twist during the second half of the chorus. I remember another band"s keyboard player being at one of our shows and saw me playing it and came up to me afterwards and said something like ' Oh, so that"s how you play that part !'

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I found the chorus is much easier to play if you do the same patch split by octaves or on different boards and then your hands don't run into each other.

Actually one of my more fave songs to play in that genre. It's a pretty original keyboard part.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I can probably use Digital Performer to convert my MIDI notation to PDF, for whichever parts you need them for. Just let me know which ones you intend to cover on keys.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

There were a couple of threads on this a few years ago. I had posted a transcription back in 2011 but the attachment source is no longer functioning. For those who still need it, here it is. If you must read it, go ahead. However, this isn't too hard to learn...so I would strongly encourage you to listen as best you can and then compare what you hear to what's in the transcription.

That's it! I wrote out the entire song earlier except I haven't gotten to the pad chords played under the second verse yet.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

This guy seems to have it...

That video is almost exactly how I play it, with minor passing-note differences.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.