Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS is done?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OTOH, there will alway be musicians who can extract music out of any piece of gear they touch. :cool:

case in point :

Federico González Peña :cool:

I know him. :thu:

There's also our very own Steve Kessler (SK) who showed up to the 1st MAKCFH (Mid-Atlantic Keyboard Corner Forum Hang) back in 2008.

The MAKCFH consisted of multiple KB rigs. The floor looked like a very well stocked music store.

Despite all of the gear around him, SK pulled a Roland PC-200 MIDI controller and a tone module out of a brown paper bag. Needless to type, he slayed the room. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

One side note to the GAS conversation? These days, it can be a heckuva lot cheaper (and sometimes more fun) to explore stuff on an iPad using an inexpensive controller. I went through a period of trying out maybe 30 or software synths, bunches of effects, sequencers and drummer -- all manner of sonic software gizmos. It went on for a while. I probably don't even know what I have at this point.

It was huge creative fun while it lasted, and I learned a lot in the process. All that software I binged on cost less than a single hardware synth. Great way to get the itch out of your system without doing extreme damage to your finances, filling up rooms with gear, annoying your wife, etc.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I suddenly sneezed and bought Spitfire's Abbey Road One: Grand Brass. Its a properly range-limited French horn quartet with a tuba on the bottom end and celli backing the rest. Its a full-throated beast. It'll give my other brass resources a solid boost.

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I think being around 50 vs 25- I have noticed the following things- I wish I had more time to use what I had.

I do notice for example, the Korg Nautilus vs the Kronos (even though related) is not a 10 year jump in technology whereas in the 90's 5 years was significant.

Also, mostly use Addictive Keys and Toontrack EZ Drummer (version 2 but still similar) for the last 8 year.

So sick of new stuff coming out that just echoes the same old thing.

Between MainStage and my Electro 5D, I pretty much cover everything I need for live performances.

The only upgrade I could see would be when my Nord eventually dies or becomes unrepairable.

Then, I'd look for something along those lines...but it's built like a tank and hopefully won't let me down any time soon!

In the studio, we have a ton of plugins but always seem to look for the same types of sounds...so funny...

One thing I've been looking for is a used, grab-and-go synth for jams...

I wish I would have never sold my Ultranova, it was so perfect for that.

So my only "gas" these days is searching through classifieds, looking for something like the Ultranova.

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

It shocks even me to think my Motif ES is 19 years old and I still don't utilize all that it can do.

Yeah, I've got a Forte, but that's no longer the shiny new thing. Have always been interested in Kronos but just don't need it. MODX intrigues, but the same, just don't need it.

I just need to sit and play and learn more about using what I have.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I have a nice collection of assorted gear, from all genres. At one point I began to notice learning the various techonolgies was cutting into my practice, which I desperately need, while it can still do some good ;) Since spring 2020 I have bought 90% acoustic. I did get a MOXF, which I play but have not yet spent the time to master it's world.

I'm on the list for the Osmose, and that may be my last synth.....obviously I'm getting it for the keybed.

Even this post is keeping me.......

Learning figured-bass at 64 demands attention ;)

And pays more dividends than researching gear....which I all too easily fall into.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I have been pretty satisfied for years...Kurzweil PC3K7, Mojo 61, and Traynor K4 amp,.... but all of a sudden everything is failing.

First, I had to replace the output board in the mojo 61 after getting by for a few months using the headphone outs. Next my Kurzweil outputs (all 4) began acting up and I now have a PC47 on order to fill that void

During our New Year's gig I heard a loud pop and my trusty Traynor K4 amp stopped making sound. Luckily, we had independent monitor mixes and I signaled the soundman to bump the keys up. Now I am debating repair of the old amp or new MS KP-610s.

I just ordered a Key Largo which should arrive prior to next gig so I can replace the mixing and send to FOH functionality of the Traynor K4. We have a spare K12 I can use as a keys monitor.

And lastly my old macbook pro died about 3 months ago which I use for recording applications and I'm debating replacement of that as well as the old Onyx 400F interface since it is firewire and probably not the best option when considering a new computer purchase.

Going to be an expensive year.