Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prophet 5 or Big Six

I have the ability to spend the equivalent of about $3000 on gear. I use an Apollo system with a Flock patchbay in my studio and have a couple of really nice analog synths, yet I cannot shake the feeling that a P5 or P10 I EXACTLY what I would like to have keyboard wise, and at the same time I've been looking to get a SSL Six and a summing mixer, possibly a Tegeler. Ive heard mixes done with a SSL X-Desk and really dig that summing sound. The Big Six would cover for both mixer and summing mixer, as well as having a couple of really nice preamps and I could sell my rack mount SSL comp clone. I use two Alpha Channels for most of my tracking, so I know that I dig the SSL preamp sound. I haven't been able to thy the Big Six out though, so I'd be buying it unheard.

Anyway, the SSL sounds like the smart way to go, but the Prophet sounds so damn nice. I've tried it, love it. I can't get any perspective on this and any input (perhaps a slap to the face?) would be nice. :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you buy the Prophet you will still wish you had bought the SSL instead. My dos centavos.

If the OP buys the SSL, he'll still wish he had bought the Prophet. :laugh:

Right now, it reads like there's enough mixing capability in the studio already. The Big Six would be a nice to have piece.

Don't know which analog synths the OP has already but if they cannot get close to that Prophet sound... :cop::D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Don't know which analog synths the OP has already but if they cannot get close to that Prophet sound... :cop::D:cool:

I have a bunch of nice boards. Poly analogs are OB6, JX10 w. Vecoven, Code8 and a Juno-60. I just can"t help feeling the lure of the Prophet⦠especially with the new OS where it can be layered or split. Friggin" awesome. Due to COVID almost all my booked gigs 2022 have been cancelled so I want to up the ante in my studio. I want a quicker workflow and I have a studio gig where an easy to program analog synth will really make things more fun. The synths I have are no slouches but it"s hard to beat a classic design like the P5 for achieving great results quickly. Then again, since I use a Flock patchbay I could easily integrate an analog mixer in my workflow.

Still time to return your kids' holiday gifts and buy both! :laugh::cop:

In all seriousness, it sounds like the SiX is a more practical purchase, while the Prophet sounds more like a desire (while still also being practical to some degree). Which would impact your work more? The special sauce from the Prophet? Or the glue from the SSL?

Option C (because I'm kind of thinking about this myself, although maybe more as a daydream than as serious planning): Could you build a rack with the 500-series SiX that you could use both in the studio and on gigs when they pick up again? Maybe even leave a little space to eventually throw a racked Prophet module in there as well? ;)

Still time to return your kids' holiday gifts and buy both! :laugh::cop:

Hahaha! Well, I've been a very good kid this year... :) It's quite possible the Big Six is the more practical idea, but I already have a pretty integrated ITB system for mixing and tracking. The Prophet would give me access to a very easy to program synth with the appeal of a true classic for clients coming to the studio. OTOH with the Flock patchbay I could easily route sounds through anything and everything before going to the computer, and I really like SSL preamps (I'd have 6 SSL press this way) and I could sell my WA bus comp...

Buy the Prophet. You could well reach a point once you have it that you find one of these other synths redundant, at which point you can sell it and then buy your SSL.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

You need the one you want. You will not enjoy anything else as much. If you don't go right for the one you want you could end up spending too much buying the one you don't really want then deciding you really wanted the Prophet so much you are going to get it and eat the cost of undoing the mistake. Just get the one you want and enjoy yourself. Hopefully you have enough of whatever it takes to KNOW it is what you want. Hands on is probably a requirement otherwise it is just eye candy fueled by delusion.

I have a bunch of nice boards. Poly analogs are OB6, JX10 w. Vecoven, Code8 and a Juno-60. I just can"t help feeling the lure of the Prophet⦠especially with the new OS where it can be layered or split. Friggin" awesome. Due to COVID almost all my booked gigs 2022 have been cancelled so I want to up the ante in my studio. I want a quicker workflow and I have a studio gig where an easy to program analog synth will really make things more fun. The synths I have are no slouches but it"s hard to beat a classic design like the P5 for achieving great results quickly. Then again, since I use a Flock patchbay I could easily integrate an analog mixer in my workflow.

I´d sell the,- IMO entirely overrated,- Juno 60 and buy both, the Prophet 5 and Big Six.

:)

A.C.

Also, I know no one asked, but this thread spurred me on to thinking a little deeper about my 500-series SiX rack... figure I can get it done for around 3K CAD. Power conditioner, 2x 500-SiX in a Radial PowerStrip, maybe a KL-8 to round it out in a 4U flight case rack. A pretty nice tone machine to roll into a gig with, and I can slap it on top of my studio rack at home to run the SSL into my interface. I think I will like that a lot.

As mentioned above, the Prophet could make the Juno 60 redundant.

Selling the Juno 60 would definitely offset the Prophet/Big Six purchase.

Of course, if the Juno 60 occupies a special place in the OPs heart, that could make it harder to sell.

Despite everything else going on around us, 1st world problems are the easier to solve. Great times we live in technologically.:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This has become a more academic question since ALL of my gigs until May have been cancelled - possibly the first six months are gone, just like that. But I thank you all for the great suggestions and hopefully I"ll be able to make this choice come autumn.

Oh no, we were looking forward to spending your money on a shiny new Prophet within a couple of months.:laugh:

Seriously, take your time figuring out the next move. Bummer that gigs have been canceled. :cool:

PD

Oh no, we were looking forward to spending your money on a shiny new Prophet within a couple of months.:laugh:

Seriously, take your time figuring out the next move. Bummer that gigs have been canceled. :cool:

Ha ha ha! Yes, I could feel your support indeed! ð My worst case scenario was that everything would be cancelled but I thought it would happen sooner than it did. I worked a LOT nov-dec so I"m prepared financially for this, much more than I was last year when the same thing happened. Nothing to do, I have teaching and a couple of sessions and I"ll get by.