Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Studiologic Numa X Piano

8 hours ago, b3plyr said:

I use my Numa X in a duo. We use the audio mixer for my vocalist and my harmonies. Works great, and I no longer take a mixer. I also use the USB for iPad apps - control and actual audio. We use one dynamic mic and a condenser. Of course the condenser needs 48 volts, and I wish that capability existed with the Numa X. The fix is easily, though. Just get a battery powered in-line 48 volt adapter. Here is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H24SBMS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

The master effects are great for vocals, and you also have individual EQ for each analog audio in. My setup is really simplified now. Good luck!

When I first tried the audio mixer with one of my dynamic mics it was very noisy. I had to put the gain to the max at 40 to get some decent signal. Very disappointed.

Then I tried with my acoustic guitar and I did not need much of a gain, maybe 15 or 10 and it was crystal clear. Much better.

Tried with a different dynamic mic and still a bit noisy requiring a lower gain but around 20.

Eventually I tried the first mic with a kind of preamp, my old external usb sound card at max volume, and with the gain of 0 in the Numa X audio I got a strong signal with very little noise.

But as soon I changed the screen to show the instruments some low noise was added. More noticeable when an instrument zone was assigned but not active (gray out). Going back to the audio screen the noise was much lower.

Odd enough, I changed the audio inputs from 4 mono into 2 stereo and the noise was lower.

I would be interesting to know if everyone is experiencing these things when using the audio inputs...

Thanks all!!   Back in town tonight and will try uploading/downloading  a patch. 

Also trying a mic. I'm guessing it's something to  partly do with going from low to high impedance??. I'll experiment with my go-to Beta58.  My singer has her wireless rig that has 1/4 line outs, so I may have to use that.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I have been experimenting with piano sounds. I have created a preset that combines 4 pianos at different octaves to recreate a more intricate resonance sound, closer to a real piano. I am pretty happy with the result so I want to share it with all you and I hope to get comments.

Also I did something similar on a preset with 3 EPs combined.

Attached are the files.

4pianos01.prf 3ep01.prf

9 hours ago, elmusiloco said:

I have been experimenting with piano sounds. I have created a preset that combines 4 pianos at different octaves to recreate a more intricate resonance sound, closer to a real piano. I am pretty happy with the result so I want to share it with all you and I hope to get comments.

Also I did something similar on a preset with 3 EPs combined.

Attached are the files.

4pianos01.prf 760 B · 5 downloads 3ep01.prf 760 B · 1 download

Sounds great.  I assume these are files to configure these AP and EP sounds on the Numa Piano.  Would you be so kind as to make an actual recording so that those of us without a Numa Piano X would be able to hear what you’ve done?

I’m a huge fan of Latin style pianos that feature a second layered piano that’s transposed up an octave.  Have never considered a 4 layer piano:

? Are you able to note limit each of these pianos, so that you can decide how far up and how far down the keybed each piano goes?

I often find that upon close examination, many pianos have an outstanding low end (From middle C down) or a very good high end.  Rarely does 1 piano have both a great low and high end, so I end up splitting the keyboard so there’s an optimal piano at both sides of middle C. 

What was the motivation for you?  An overall thicker sound?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

RandyFF, I am attaching files with some simple example. Yes, I am looking for a thicker, hopefully richer sound. On AP I have done something quite subtle. I´ve done a multiple split so the piano with one octave down only sounds on the lower part, the rest of the pianos sound on all keys but it is possible to assign a specific different range as well. The main piano is at volume of 116 the others around a quarter, 30 to 40. It is not exactly that latin style which could be easily achieved neither having a different piano for the lower part per say. Certainly something to explore maybe next.

On the EPs the difference is more noticeable. I am not saying that one is better than the other but one could work better than the other depending on the song and the other instruments in the band.

By the way, I have an expression / volume pedal and it is very useful to assign it to one or more of the piano sounds. For instance to have it not assigned for the main piano sound and on for the others so you can turn these others off or on with your foot, or half way, in the middle of a song.

Again, thanks for the comments. 

• Like 1

Nice ! 

Might hope they will bring better EP’s as well. Especially The Wurlitzer is a bit weak in my opinion.

But at least they have the nice bark I always have missed in the Nord samples.

Then a new OS with more control on the editing of the synth sounds. It seems like the first two controls ( can’t remember what it was - cutoff and resonance? ) doesn’t seem to have to much effect. I would love to be able to shape for example a pad sound darker, with less presence.

My Legend works great with this.

Oh, and double up on the FX’s . Same option on FX A and FX B. As far as I remeber, it is not possible to add both tremolo and drive to f.ex a Wurlitzer program, since both effects is only available on FX A.

Lastly, I have a little issue. I am lazy, so on the first three programs or what  they call it when you rotate the Main Dial, I have added the sounds I need in the four slots, and activate what I need here and now by choosing the corresponding Audio Zone, but for some reason, effects and settings from sounds programmed in f.example the  slot nr 2 affect the sound in the slot nr 4, even if the B slot is not active. Annoying, perhaps time to read the user manual 🤨

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I don't know why but there's always something in the middle and baritone/bass of all the Numa pianos that is too dull and distant, compared to the rest of the piano. That particular range sounds like a synthetic wave coming from another room. I hear it in all three new piano demos and I also heard it in all the factory sounds while I had the Numa and was the reason to return it. Maybe it's just my ears or taste for piano sound but I'm glad I returned it instead of waiting for updates and more piano sounds.

• Like 2

I can relate to your description CyberGene.   When I listened to the Numa online (through a very good audiophile headphone setup), I noticed a similar thing.  My description when talking about this with one of the reviewers, was that it sounded like it was emulating a piano that had very soft/new hammer felt on the bottom 2.5 octaves...like an artificial smoothing effect. The attack itself was dull.  

When I got the GT, I noticed this a bit less in person and editing the pianos does help somewhat.  Unfortunately I had an issue with the TP400W keybed and am now waiting on a replacement.  I still think that overall, the pianos on the Numa are really good.  I can find something to fault in the best Yamaha, Roland and Nord piano patches also.  None of them really fully emulate an acoustic grand so it's matter of tradeoffs.  I can handle a little bit of attack dullness vs. some of the artificial ringing (and sometimes even some odd-order harmonic distortion) that I hear in many of the purely sampled pianos.  

And I believe Studiologic has left the door open to adding a second page of zone edit controls in the future so perhaps we will one day see a "hammer attack" control for the APs.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I find issues with all the digital/software pianos. I have some objections about the piano sound in my Yamaha AvantGrand N1X too since it’s one of the most expensive digital pianos on the market and one would expect it to be flawless. Which is why for recordings I use the much better sounding Garritan CFX ($200) but then Garritan lacks the playability and the resonances. So, it’s always about some compromises. And the Numa X is great when you consider the keyboard improvement, the traveling weight, compact form factor and all these wonderful features for a bargain price. I’m happier with my CP88 but it was close to 2x the price so this complaint about dull attack in the bass is a bit odd on my side, I mean does it justify 2x the price? I don’t think so. So, in no way I’m thrashing it. I still find it a great stage piano 👍🏻

• Like 1

Yea, the CP88 was likely my second choice - a really great option.  I simply liked some parts of the UI on the Numa GT a bit better and was encouraged that Studiologic seems like they are going to aggressively add new features and sounds. 

I currently have a Yamaha ELX-1 and just sold a Genos (and previously owned many other Yamaha boards) so I definitely fall into the Yamaha fanboy camp.  Something about the Numa just spoke to me.

• Like 1

Just finished setting up the NXP for a theater gig; first one with this board. I had theorized before that its handy 4-zone UI would be great for simpler shows where I just need to switch quickly between three or four patches -- and it works a treat!

The show requires only piano, organ, and sometimes layered strings, so I set those up in three zones, inside one Program: sustain pedal for the piano zone; expression pedal for the organ and string zones, with constrained key ranges; mod stick set to control rotary speed on just the organ zone. Just a really nice workflow. Of all things, what threw me was saving my Program as a "Favorite" -- which in NXP terminology is actually a *list* of 24 Programs, not just a single Program; had to go to the manual to grok that one, but I get it now.

Really like the utility and handiness of this board, and darn if it doesn't play great, too. Ok, not a top-drawer Hammond/Leslie, but good enough for one-armed pretenders like me. Still lovin' this purchase!

• Like 1

Legend '70s Compact, Studiologic Numa X 73

8 hours ago, stoken6 said:

@Brad Kaenelhow do you find the action?

Cheers, Mike.

The TP-110 in the NXP is definitely different than the TP-100 in my L70.  For APiano playing I definitely prefer the Numa X, but for EPiano I like the Legend 70s better.  The TP-110 feels slightly heavier, a bit tighter and more precise, bottoms-out softer; whereas the TP-100 is lighter, looser, bottoms-out harder.  I think you have to work a little harder on the Legend 70s vs. the Numa X, and some have said that the TP-100 is fatiguing.  Personally, I've played on both for hours at a time and I don't experience that, but of course, YMMV.  I think the actions are ideally suited for the kind of piano they are both trying to be: Numa X is focused on being an APiano, the Legend 70s is focused on EPiano.

Legend '70s Compact, Studiologic Numa X 73

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Thanks @Brad Kaenel I understand that Crumar selected the TP100 in the Seven specifically for its similarity to a Rhodes action, which has been itself criticised on multiple occasions. If the TP110 is more acoustic piano and less Rhodes, then it's more suitable for me.

Cheers, Mike.

I actually think the TP100 was chosen because the TP110 had not been released. For my use, the TP110 is excellent for both APs and EPs. The response is very quick. I use a NUMA X 88 at gigs and a NUMA X GT at home. Both keybeds are very satisfying. The GT keybed is in a class by itself. I love the escapement.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the damper system.I have the Numa GT, and it is way too loud and sustains too much.When I play the EPs, it just turns to mush using the damper pedal.Same with the acoustic pianos. I have stopped using the damper pedal because it overtakes the sound.I wish there was a way to dial it back some...or a lot.

4 hours ago, Markmcb said:

I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the damper system.I have the Numa GT, and it is way too loud and sustains too much.When I play the EPs, it just turns to mush using the damper pedal.Same with the acoustic pianos. I have stopped using the damper pedal because it overtakes the sound.I wish there was a way to dial it back some...or a lot.

All a damper pedal does (just as on a real piano) is make the key behave as if your finger were still holding down the key (on a real piano, literally, by preventing the dampers from falling back on to the strings to silence them). The volume and the decay time don't (and shouldn't) change with the pedal, compared to what it would sound like if you just kept your fingers down on the keys. If it's overtaking the sound, you're not releasing it soon enough. The same would happen on a real piano. And unless Numa messed up (and I haven't played one myself), you wouldn't want the note to fade any more quickly than it does while actually playing and holding notes with your fingers, so unless you think that doesn't sound right, the pedal is behaving just as it should. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

AnotherScott explained exactly how the sustain pedal should work. If the notes is still hanging when you release the pedal, your polarity on the pedal might be wrong. There might be a switch on the pedal itself, or as far as I remember also in the global settings in the menu on the Numa.

Another thing might be the pedal noise. From factory it is turned up way to high. When you have a program with a piano in, go to the knob for the active piano - left side of the display, just below the sections volume knob-  and hold down the square button below it. Now you can turn down the Pedal Noise. Default it is set somewhere halfway up at 65 or something. I have dialed mine down to 7-8’ish.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Markmcb said:

My Numa X Gt damper pedal works exactly as it should.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:20 PM, Markmcb said:

Do you have another board that you can try with the same pedal, and see if that one behaves better?

It's very easy for generous use of damper to "overtake" the Rhodes sound, because it has such a long decay. 

Cheers, Mike.

All my pedals work with the Numa X. Excellent instrument. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 11/22/2022 at 5:20 PM, Markmcb said:

Yes, I find that APs have too much sustains to my taste. Typically I reduce the ¨string res¨ setting by half to a value of around 32. You could also play with the ¨duplex¨setting as well. The ¨ped. noise¨ is definitively too high as well.

It is a great keyboard but, for some reason, settings are not fine tuned. It would be great to have a user preset database of some sort on a website.

Thanks all...I did not word my post very well...my thoughts are not about the pedal itself...but with the software.Maybe the piano samples for the damper are mixed too high.

I wish there could be a way to turn down those samples.It seems like the damper samples drown out the main samples.

It's just me...if I could dial back the damper volume...it would sound better to my ears.

And thanks elmusiloco...I turned the 'string res' down and it did help...but some of the "body' of the sound was lost.But it is better this way...thanks.

I just played a bit on mine, and hear what you is hearing. But as an example on program 1 - if still like original in your. Turn down the string resonance and as a start, turn off the reverb. Way to much String resonance, damper noise and a too long reverb tale. After that it sound more authentic.

As far as i found, there is only one upright in there for now. That’s one sound like something old with dampers that needs to be replaced 😬